4 comments

Horror Speculative Suspense

⚠️ Author's note: This story has nothing to do with the prompt used. It is merely a story that I didn't manage to finish for the previous contest. ⚠️

Craven Hollow

The train clattered through the night, its rhythmic churning echoing through the hollow darkness, cutting through the thick, oppressive blackness like a blade tearing through flesh. The windows were fogged, veiled with a layer of condensation that obscured the shadowy landscape outside, but it hardly mattered; beyond the suffocating blackness, there was nothing to see, no light to guide the eye. Every passenger kept to themselves, each hunched over in their seats, shoulders drawn in tight, eyes cast downward, as if the very thought of looking up might summon something dreadful. No one spoke, no one dared to break the uneasy silence.

He sat near the back of the carriage, a solitary man with no name and no past, carrying nothing but the weight of his destination. His ticket, worn thin and crumpled from anxious handling, lay in his hand, the ink barely legible from repeated folding and unfolding. It simply read: "Craven Hollow." The name was foreign to him, a place he had never heard of before receiving the peculiar letter—a letter with no return address, no signature—just an ominous invitation inked in a spidery, almost unnerving hand.

"Meet me where the shadows never die."

He had read and reread those words a hundred times, each repetition driving them deeper into his consciousness, as though the letters themselves were alive, burrowing into his mind. The letter had arrived three nights ago, slipped under his door in the dead of night like a whisper carried on the wind. He knew no one in this world, had no friends or family, no connections that would lead to such a message. He was alone, a man adrift, but someone—something—had found him nonetheless.

The train jerked to a sudden, jarring halt, the abrupt stillness almost more unsettling than the movement. He looked out the window, wiping away the thick condensation with his sleeve in an attempt to see what lay beyond. Craven Hollow loomed in the distance, shrouded in shadows, a village swallowed by the unrelenting night. The buildings were crooked and gnarled, leaning precariously as if they might collapse at any moment under the weight of time. The air outside seemed thick, laden with an unseen, almost tangible weight, pressing down on the earth with a suffocating intensity.

He stepped off the train, the biting cold immediately slicing through his coat, gnawing at his skin with icy teeth. The station was deserted, utterly devoid of life, the silence so absolute that it felt as if the world had been abandoned long ago. There was no sign of movement, no lights flickering in distant windows, no murmur of voices to be heard. Only the wind stirred, low and mournful, like the breath of something long dead and forgotten, its sorrowful sound the only company he had.

He hesitated, an unexplained urge to turn back gnawing at his insides, clawing at his resolve, but something stronger—something inexplicable—pulled him forward, compelled him to move. He walked the narrow, twisted streets, his footsteps echoing off the uneven cobblestones, the sound unnervingly loud in the stillness. Every shadow he passed seemed to shift and stretch toward him, dark fingers of nothingness curling around his ankles as if trying to hold him back. The houses watched him with hollow, empty eyes, their windows dark and foreboding, their doors shut tight against the night.

At last, he reached the end of the village, where the solid ground abruptly fell away into a yawning ravine. There, perched precariously on the edge, stood a house unlike any of the others. It was tall and thin, its frame twisted, its roof sharp as a knife's edge, the windows dark and uninviting, like the sockets of a skull. The door was ajar, creaking slightly as it swayed in the wind, an open mouth waiting to swallow him whole.

He stepped inside.

The air within was thick, suffocating, laden with the sickly-sweet scent of rot, a cloying odor that filled his lungs and made his head spin with nausea. The house was empty, abandoned, the furniture hidden beneath dusty sheets that hadn't been disturbed in years. The only light came from a single, flickering candle burning weakly on the mantel, its flame guttering as though it might extinguish at any moment, plunging the room into total darkness.

He walked deeper into the house, his footsteps muffled by the thick, threadbare carpet underfoot. The walls seemed to close in around him, narrowing, constricting, the corridors twisting in unnatural ways that made him feel as though he was being led deeper into a labyrinth from which there would be no escape. He turned a corner and came to an abrupt stop.

There, at the end of the darkened hall, stood a figure, tall and impossibly thin, its form almost as twisted as the house itself. Its face was hidden in the dense shadows, but he could feel its eyes on him, piercing through the darkness, a gaze so intense it felt like a physical weight pressing down on him.

"Who are you?" he asked, his voice barely a whisper, the sound almost lost in the oppressive stillness.

The figure did not move, did not speak. But he felt something—a cold, insidious tendril of thought that slithered into his mind, wrapping around his consciousness like a vise. "You already know."

A cold wave of dread washed over him, and he took a step back, his heart pounding wildly in his chest, each beat loud in the silence. The walls around him seemed to pulse, the shadows thickening, growing darker, more suffocating. Panic surged through him, and without thinking, he turned and ran, the corridor stretching out impossibly before him, the shadows chasing him, reaching for him with grasping, clawing hands. He burst through the front door, stumbling into the cold night air, gasping for breath as if he had been drowning.

But the village was gone. The ravine had closed in, the ground beneath his feet crumbling away, leaving him teetering on the edge of an abyss, the blackness below yawning wide, hungry and endless.

And then he understood—the letter, the invitation—it hadn’t been a call to meet someone.

It had been a summons.

As the ground gave way beneath him, he felt the shadows rise up, wrapping around him like chains, dragging him down into the darkness, into the hollow where the shadows never died.

September 03, 2024 00:07

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Midnyte Spectre
00:09 Sep 09, 2024

So, something really weird just happened. I got dejavu reading this. I swear this story was so familiar. Like i knew the story. Holy shit, this kinda freaked me out. I love it.

Reply

Vee Ay
00:33 Sep 11, 2024

That is.. concerning? 😅 But jokes aside I am really glad you liked it :))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
John Bryan
20:29 Sep 03, 2024

I want to write something more critical. To offer guidance or constructive criticism. However, you write so well. I can't think of words other than 'perfect' or 'beautiful.' Your writing truly is something else. Each line so carefully crafted. Your themes consistent and clear. Your pacing is brisk and clean. The descriptions and writing style add so much texture. I never took a writing class in my life, but I suspect (I "feel") that your writing is technically perfect. I want to linger in each passage; I want your stories to go on and on.

Reply

Vee Ay
00:31 Sep 11, 2024

Ah you flatter me :D Im really glad you enjoy them <3

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.