0 comments

Drama

You are going to hate me after reading this but it’s not like it will matter much, for I will be dead. The worst that can happen is that you burn my body and dance on my grave, which I won’t even be able to see. I confirm now with no evidence that ghosts do not exist so tell your uncle John about it to ease his mind.

Michael, you better be the one reading this, or else what I’m going to say is embarrassing but then again, I’m dead. But this could be used to humiliate you so… I guess it’s not a win situation for everyone.

I thought long and hard if what I was doing was what was best for you, I was close to making this go in your favor but, I couldn’t keep doing the same thing I’ve been doing for years with you. Nothing will be going to you. I’m not sorry.

You never wanted to take a part in the business when you became the legal age, you expected me to give you a big position, and when you were told that you would build your way to the top you always rejected the opportunity, so what makes you think now that I will suddenly give you the highest position for being my son? That goes to your friend Lucas, you didn’t know this cause you were always out partying but he was always around my office, he is quite the accountant and businessman for someone his age.

Why would I give you the house? You were always so ungrateful, nothing was ever enough, every time we moved you had this list and empty boxes you expected me to check out when looking for our new home. One little thing it didn’t have and you would throw your stupid little fits, well let’s just see how you do now. Your cousin Miranda has strict orders of mines, don’t expect her to help you out, she is a woman who always worked hard, not to mention she is who made sure everything looked the way you wanted for your stupidities.

The money in the bank almost became yours, but thanks to Lucas I was able to pass it over to your sister. She has always wanted to start her own business, make a name for herself, it’s sad that one of her dreams won’t come true and that is working alongside me in a label, but Lucas said he would help her if she ever needed help.

I could go on and on about the things I won’t be giving you, but my lawyer already has that information, so… hopefully, you are still reading this and haven’t torn it nor burnt it all. What I leave you is not physical but more like a lesson, I should have taught you since you were little.

A salary of $30,000 doesn’t mean you can waste $20,000. I gave you everything you wished for, I gave you your own credit and debit card for fuck sake. Yet it seemed like you would never know how to waste less than 10,000 monthly. I am sorry this was moneywise lessons.

How could I leave you so many possessions when it would all be gone in less than a year? The company would have gone bankrupt, you would be in debt with the bank, they would have taken all your possession in your name away from you.

Kind of ironic considering I left you with nothing. But I left you nothing and a lesson. I could have given you everything, left you feeling a sense of pride and power, then when everything was to go south you would be left with nothing anyway and no sense of purpose.

The lesson I gave you before will work the following: you will probably have a minimum wage, but let’s suppose for a weird reason you win $3000. You have priorities, food, home, bills, all those things cut off maybe half. You now have $1500. Accidents occur, you need insurances, let’s say the little inconveniences take you away $1000.

You only have $500. Don’t waste that on what you want now, save it for the future. Save it for when you want or need something. Now this is a simplified version, I could go on but I can’t, my hand is getting tired.

Michael, you may hate me now and think I give zero fucks about you. Son, I care more than you think, I do this because I fear how you will turn out if I don’t do this. I’ll even let you in on something.

When you let go of that superiority complex, the pride, the cockiness, the worst parts of you, there will be people to help you. Your sister will give you a position with a change of attitude, I’m not saying that because I told her to but because she has a huge heart. Hell, Lucas would even help you out. But this attitude is not going to get you anyway.

My lesson was money involved which I know it is stupid but it is something you have to know if you want to survive my boy, or else you will starve and be left on the street.

I just came up with another lesson, not moneywise don’t worry.

There is a sense of satisfaction that can be found somewhere in the simplicity of life. I was blessed to have more than I needed when some can’t even afford a loaf of bread, but things won’t always that way for me. I became big with time, not overnight.

I love you, Michael, I’m glad that I was able to see you grow up unlike your mother, I will be joining her soon and I will let her know that I did what was best for you. I said I wasn’t sorry, I meant it. It would be contradicting if I was because I have no regrets about this decision now.

Goodbye, Michael.

September 01, 2020 22:35

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.