0 comments

Kids

It was the year of 3000 there was small town in California called Sinta Claro. It was the day before Halloween and in this town there lived a young couple who loved each other dearly. It all started back 300 years ago where the town was first forming where a young boy named Adam and a girl named Grace fell in love and wished to leave a legacy on the town. However, the two families have been rivals all the way back 7 generations due to Adam's great great uncle inheriting a large profit from Grace’s great second cousin’s mother and never paying it back, leaving Grace’s side of the family in debt for over 15 years. It was said that they may no longer speak again. For hundreds of years there was a curse that come upon the town of Sinta Claro on the night before Halloween. The two had quite the family history. The handsome gentlemen, by the name of Adam, was born and raised in L.A and lived a very lavish lifestyle. His mother worked as one of the best attorney’s in Southern California, and his father worked as a doctor who owned his own family practice in the hospital. This was not taken to surprise at all being that his past family and relatives had Phd’s in the law or medical field. The beautiful women he decided to marry went by the name Grace. She grew up in Florida and lived there her whole life until her parents got a job promotion in California. It wasn’t long until she found herself saying goodbye to all of her friends and starting a new chapter in her life in Sinta Claro. Shortly after Adam and Grace had found each other, they found out they shared a bit of family history. Adam’s great uncle had married Grace’s second cousin. The two started the whole tradition of finding each other in the small city and falling in love there. Adam and Grace also shared past educational years together. It turns out that Grace’s best friend moved from Florida to Sinta Claro when she was fourteen years old. They both could not believe they had just found each other after both graduated from college and have been working for the same medical company for the past 6 years. Adam graduated from Harvard with a doctorate degree, and Grace graduated from Yale with a Phd in the biological field of the oncology center. It wasn’t long after they discovered they both worked in the same career field at the same hospital that they decided to get married. All was well in their relationship as newlyweds and working in the hospital until one day. The main area was quiet and peaceful with doctors standing by the front desks congregating about the days agenda and recapping from activities from the previous week. All had seemed well but this wasn’t like any ordinary day. Before they knew it a mysterious man came walking in from the front door. He wore baggy and torn black pants with a faded red shirt and black Nike sneakers that were worn at the soles of the shoe. As he walked into the front door he examined the almost empty waiting room and doctors congregating by the front desks. At the front desks, he realized there were women and men multi-tasking by working on computers and occasionally picking up the phone for brief conversations. As he entered the door the doctors and people at the front desk noticed him right away. The man did not say one word as he walked in, but only glanced at the doctors as he neared the front desk. He took a look around the room and all of the doctors in it, seeming to carefully examine each and every one of their faces. He paused at Adam and seemed to give him a good look like he recognized him. The doctors and front desk workers asked for his name but he said it was best if they didn’t know that piece of information. He told all of the people in the front room that a curse was upon them and that they should be worried about the towns well being. He claimed that on the night before Halloween, there would be a terrible wind and lightning storm, causing many power outages and injuries throughout the city. He then warned that on the day of Halloween, the birds would crow three times and then fly away. The crops in the field would whittle and perish, causing a food shortage in the city. Of course, everyone in the room though the man was crazy. Adam, head surgeon of the hospital, told the man he should sit down and gather his thoughts thinking about what he said. So the man did just that, he sat in the chair and stared into space in the almost empty waiting room. Adam went to the back to get the mysterious man a cup of water and everyone went back to work in the front desk. When Adam returned, the man had disappeared and was no where to be found. He looked all around the hospital in every room searching for any clues of the man leaving. No one in the front desk claimed to see him leave. One of the front desk ladies said she turned her back towards the front of the room to gather and staple some papers, but when she turned around she did not see him sitting in the chair anymore. Adam ordered for the hospital to be on lockdown so that the whole team could search for the mystery man. As he picked up the intercom phone to call it in, the lights flickered and the power went. Everything was pitch dark for a few seconds and then the emergency lights came back on. When they came back on, Adam, Grace, and the people in the front desk found what looked like corn husks spelling out the words “I warned you”. As the lightning crackled in the sky, Adam and Grace shared a worried look on their faces as if the mysterious man was right after all.


May 25, 2020 17:44

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.