0 comments

General



My name is Sam London. It was a hot, sunny day and the afternoon started with my popsicle melting.

My street is full of kids but they all never come out. In Phoenix, Arizona, you can never be surprised if there’s a heat wave.

           And so I wasn’t surprised when my popsicle melted in seconds when I stepped out of the doorstep. I had to get another one, hoping my mom would let me. My mom luckily came outside to check on me. And I thought this was my only chance. I asked her, ‘Mom, can I get another popsicle ?’

           She said ‘yes’ with a simple nod. I ran inside. This time I did not come outside to see another popsicle melt in my hands. I stayed inside. It was very warm outside.

           But the sad thing about me was that I didn’t have any gaming console. Only an iPad that was an old model so it couldn’t handle new games. And it was summer break so there was no school. And no one came outside. My friends played video games all the time.

           And to make matters worse, my parents wanted me to study. And a lot. They said a 7th grade should study 3-4 hour daily. But I didn't think that was true. My friends don't even study and they get to play for so long.

           My birthday is tomorrow. And I really wanted an iPad. But I had a feeling I was gonna get books. And I didn’t want that. But I had to behave good. I have a small brother, who is 8 years old. His name is Carl London. And he wants an Xbox. Even though he watches YouTube 24/7. He doesn’t study. He has decent grades in school. And my parents promised him he’s gonna get on Xbox on his birthday. And I can’t get an iPad. No matter how much I convince them.

           My parents are going to go shopping to get return gifts, and groceries in the evening. I am going to stay at home with Carl.

My birthday is at home. And a lot of my friends in the street are coming. We are deciding to break out of the house to play outside. And then planning to chug down soda. It is going to be fun.

My parents just left from home. They are heading to shop. Carl’s taking advantage and watching YouTube. I am relaxing as well. Waiting…

My parents came in the evening. They brought a lot of stuff. It was all party decorations. My party is tomorrow evening; so we got straight to work. We put balloons, paintings, and banners. We were only able to finish half the work. It was dinnertime and mom had left me and dad to do the work. But by the time we even put a banner on, mom had the dinner ready!

           We were going to finish the work tomorrow. I fell asleep as soon as I touched the mattress. That’s how tired I was!

           I woke up late morning to hear the shuffling of steps. My parents had already resumed decorating. I got ready in half an hour and met them downstairs. Even my brother was helping them finish. And they had made quite the progress till I was asleep.

 I helped them decorate as well.

 We were finished by lunchtime. I waited…

The day actually went fast. And it was evening. I had decided to relax again after lunch.

           Half of my friends came early. And half came late. It was a big crowd. My brother had gone to his friend’s house, Jonathan. And my dad was in the room. And my mom was serving food to everyone. We all ate noisily. Velcro, my best friend, caught a slight glimpse of the weather. It was normal. Not sunny.

           When everyone stood up to get a refill of food, Velcro snuck out of the house to play outside. Half the kids followed. When mom saw the emptiness she asked where everyone went. We were all confused. But then we saw Brandon catching a football, who was as tall as a giraffe and had very large teeth. Had long and blond hair. We all went outside to check on him.          

           And that’s when we saw that everyone was playing football. We all went outside without even filling our plates. We all started playing outside. Carl and Jonathan took this chance to go eat food. We played till it was starting to get dark. But then mom called us inside. I ran to the kitchen. I took the whole box of popsicles and took it to my friends. But they looked horrified when I came. Not because of me, though. I saw Jonathan and Carl. And in front of them were empty pizza boxes, open cans of soda. They had finished everything. And my friends were hungry.

They all turned towards me. They were about to grab the popsicles when a bell rang. It was pizza. My dad had ordered pizza seeing how quickly Carl and Jonathan were eating. After they were finished eating. My mom announced that the party was over. Everyone left carrying their return gifts.

           When all of them left, we opened the gifts. Even Carl gave me a gift, which was candy.

           Later, we all sat and enjoyed opening the gifts. My Mom and Dad gave me a gift, it was a huge packet wrapped in a beautiful sheet with a red ribbon on it. My eyes gleamed and I opened the gift with great excitement . To my surprise I got my dream gift - a new iPad. I was so excited, so happy. The whole family was enjoying the moment.


Me and my little brother were enjoying the popsicle, it was melting outside and. . . yeah inside. I said thank to my parents and to my little brother. It was the best gift ever!!!


August 06, 2020 20:20

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.