Rhythm Of the Heart

Submitted into Contest #114 in response to: Set your story at a talent show.... view prompt

0 comments

Happy Teens & Young Adult Contemporary

The room was dimly lit with haystacks, scarecrows, and blood splatter across the floor. Fake blood of course, this was the setting of this year's talent show. The students and staff did a great job with decorating the school’s hallways and auditorium. The theme of tonight's talent show was a scene from a spooky horror movie. Halloween is this month therefore, this was a great idea for all the viewers and performers.

I haven’t seen my daughter perform on stage since she was in elementary school. I've always been that working parent who traveled aboard which led to my divorce. This would be a ravishing start to building a substantial relationship with my daughter. This surprise visit at this year's talent show will show her that my work finally doesn’t come first.  

October 19, 2019  3:33pm

Tonight is the night of the big talent show. I'm hoping both of my parents can attend my performance, if not at least one of them. I know there is going to be this huge director there scouting for students to act in his new upcoming teen movie. It would be great if I could speak with the director and his team.  It would be a dream come true if they offered me a role. I've always wanted to be a famous actress. I would die to be the next Angelina Jolie! I've been practicing really hard and most importantly tonight's talent show short script was written by me plus, I’m performing as one of  the lead actresses. This has to be my best performance yet, so that I can score the role. I hope my parents can come and see that my acting isn’t just a hobby. I want to make this my career. I have no interest in becoming a lawyer or doctor like either of my parents. Look how that worked out for them, DIVORCED!!! 

October 19, 2019  8:00pm 

I sat only three rows away from the stage right in the center. I wanted to see my eldest daughter up close. I was ecstatic to see her perform again. I knew she was taking this acting thing seriously since she started working and paying for acting classes this year. My little girl is going to be the next big star and I was extremely proud. I knew Margaret wasn't as happy for her as I was. Since Ellie is the eldest of our children, I knew she was extremely hard on her with accepting one of the most prestigious colleges all while making sure she chose the best financially stable career for her as well. She wants our Ellie to be a top surgeon just like she is. I didn't care what Ellie wanted to be as long as she was happy and passionate about what she did. My thoughts were interrupted when an announcement was made that the show would be starting back after an ephemeral intermission. While all the other parents were taking the time to socialize with the staff  members and faculty or purchasing some of the students baking goods or other snacks, I thought it was the most propitious time for me to use the restroom. 

Afterwards, I found myself lost amongst the highschool hallways after taking two left turns and a right or was it two right turns and a left.

Ten minutes before the performance 8:20pm 

My team and I were up next. It felt like someone was transacting an operation inside my stomach with all the commotion going on. My mother had texted me that she was in the crowd with my brother and sister. I never heard anything from my dad as usual. It was just like him always putting work before his family but now was not the time to worry about that. I have to focus on having a successful show. I was sweating bullets and I knew I smelled like a dead skunk in someone's trunk. I felt the sweat dripping from down my neck onto my back which resulted in my blonde wig sticking to me like glue. I took another gulp of water then closed my eyes counting to ten to resist the urges to not scream out for help. 

Seven minutes before the performance 

“Which way did I come from?”, I said out loud scratching the top of my head.  I have to hurry back before the show starts. I noticed a shadow at a distance down the hall. “Hey,” I shouted as my voice echoed throughout the hallway. Maybe he or she knows the way back to the auditorium. I started to make my way down the hall towards the shadow. Maybe that was the janitor cleaning up the place.  Once I reached the end of the hall, I was startled by the school door being wide open letting in a cool breeze that made my spine shiver. I stepped out of the school to see if anyone was outside. 

Five minutes before the performance 

Counting numbers and deep breathing wasn’t helping. The nerves really kicked in. I didn't want to but I had to. I've been doing so well without it but the nerves were my new shadow. My anxiety was getting the best of me and winning at this point. I couldn't resist. I didn't want anyone to see me so I sneaked out of the back entrance of the auditorium. I was walking down the dimly lit hall when I heard a faint voice. I couldn't stop to help, I had to keep going to do what I had to do before my anxiety caused a panic attack. Soon as I opened the doors to the outside I inhaled and exhaled all of the emotions I was feeling into the new street drug called Knockout. All you needed was a few puffs to calm your nerves. Everyone at my high school was doing it before exams or projects. This was one of the first things I reformed to when my parents got divorced. It helped me alot even though I knew a few people were addicted to it. It was the only thing that could help me during this very moment. 

“Ellie,? What are you doing?” 

I almost stumbled over dropping my synthetic weed. “Dad?”

“Ellie, were you just smoking?” 

He didn't give me a chance to answer. I saw the rage flash in his eyes. 

“Ellie, this is not how you deal with stress. Drugs don't cure anything,” Dad scolded. 

“Don’t lecture me like you know who I am. I've grown up. I'm seventeen now and will be going off to college in a couple of months. Don't tell me how to deal with stress when you were out drinking every night when mom signed off on the divorce papers.”  

“I'm your father! You can't lecture me or talk to me that way. That's not how you speak to me- 

“Or what? You're going to hit me like you hit Elijah because we aren't good enough for you. For my entire life you were never there. Now, you finally show up and catch me doing one bad thing and suddenly I'm a bad person.”

Tears were falling down my face like rain in the spring. Dad had grabbed my arm and yanked me so hard to his chest hugging me so tightly. 

“I'm so sorry hunny. I  know I haven't been the best father or been very active in your life but, I'm trying now. I want to be there to send you away to college and be there to help you set up your dorm room. I love you so much Ellie. That's why I'm going to alcohol prevention classes. I don't want to hurt you, your mom and siblings anymore ever again. I want to be a good influence for you all and that starts tonight.”  

October 09, 2021 01:50

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.