A Quiet Weekend

Submitted into Contest #238 in response to: Set your story at a silent retreat.... view prompt

18 comments

Fiction Inspirational

Giving me a conspiratorial smirk, Emma says, “If you are dating Jasmine, there’s something you need to know—”.


 “ — Shhh!” A Buddhist monk hushes her, a finger at his lips. Emma’s now strained smile hints at her want to have told me something of consequence. Under the watchful gaze of the monk, she drifts off toward breakfast. 


**


Upon our arrival the prior morning, our devices and laptops were taken away by orange robed monks. Honestly, it felt as if we were in a Buddhist led mass kidnapping, rather than attending an expensive retreat for healthcare workers.


“This is your last opportunity to leave if you are not 100% committed to three days of silence,” a monk’s voice pierced the air. I studied out new captor, a thin, almost frail, but determined looking middle age man.


Jasmine’s hand squeezed mine. “See you on the other side,” she said. It was our last exchange before the code of silence began.


After the day’s first meditation session, Jasmine whispered, “Sorry, but I need to go. I’ll be back to pick you up Monday morning.” She gave me a peck on the cheek and quickly departed before I could even ask for an explanation.


In my room that night, I thought about her disappearance. Why did she need to leave? What was so important?


While lost in thought, I noticed the corners of the room were filled with spider webs. A twitch in the cobwebs caught my eye. Buddhists don’t kill insects.


**


After our interrupted conversation, I follow Emma’s footsteps to the breakfast buffet.


A lavish spread awaits: muesli, cereal, milk, all you eat yogurt, warm oatmeal, thick toast with butter. It’s to he the highlight of my days here.


Dinner the previous night was fruit and water. I went to sleep hungry, having eaten an apple. Everything at this silent retreat seems designed to jolt us yelling and screaming out of our comfort zone.


Over breakfast, I study Jasmine’s colleagues. This was organised by her company, and I was the plus one. I read disdain in their distant looks and frowns. Or, perhaps they don’t want to be here either.


I hate parties and small talk, but now, in a silent roomful of strangers’ stares, I yearn for awkward exchanges about the weather and real estate prices.


I scrutinize a Stonyfield yogurt label. They let cows do what cows do best: produce high-priced organic yogurt in plastic tubs.


With breakfast over, we file into the main hall for a two-hour morning meditation.


“Nirvana is the absence of desires, of likes and dislikes. It is a perfect state of peace,” echoes the monk’s voice.


Why is he able to talk while we sit silently?


Buddhist monks. A new scheme for middle-aged men to wear robes, think they are better than everyone else, and strong arm their followers for donations. Wasn’t the Dalai Lama on Jeffrey Epstein’s island? I never trust a man in a robe.


It feels as if hours pass after the monk gives us his sermon on Nirvana. The bell next to him remains unrung, and the monk belies no signs of things drawing to a close.


The back of my robe begins to scrape against my neck. We attendees wear robes at this silent retreat too.


I recall what Jasmine taught me about mindfulness. “If you feel a discomfort, just observe it for a while, and it will pass.”


The itch of my robe fades into the back of my mind, to be replaced with a vision of a violent computer game. A game set in a Buddhist mediation retreat. My first-person character ducks under kicks thrown by martial arts performing monks, while spraying them with green exploding goo. I think I’ve seen this somewhere before. I count exploding monks while I wait for this endless meditation session to be over.


A bell chimes. We are granted 30 minutes to escape from our prison sentence of endless meditation. I go to my room and perform sets of pushups, exhaling very loudly in between them.


And then it’s back to another 2 hours of doing nothing.


In the next session, my mind wearies of visualizing ways to detonate Buddhist monks, and I resign myself to a state of boredom until the bell chimes again. It’s one thing to read about the benefits of a silent retreat, and another to endure hours of existential boredom.


Lunch presents itself as a flavorless vegetable soup. My thoughts drift back longingly to breakfast and tubs of sweetened yogurt.


After lunch, another two-hour meditation session ensues. The monk urges us to show kindness to ourselves. I grant my belly fat absolution for its existence. Outside of this silent meditation retreat, I nourish it with cinnamon rolls at regular intervals—a form of kindness.


After the first meditation of the afternoon, a 30-minute walk in the garden is our reward.


Fellow participants tread the path at a deliberate pace, maintaining a constant distance between each other, evading awkward interactions necessitated by passing in silence.


As I walk, I rustle leaves and kick branches, revelling in the act of generating sound. The basic human joy of creating an impact on the vast universe we live in.


Not a monk in sight. I search for a spider to step on.


Before I had anticipated that we could communicate in writing. I brought pens and paper, but those were also taken away. I silently journal my hatred of this place in the inner pages of my mind.


As I search for opportunities to speak to Emma, over and over, I am confronted by monks' faces bidding me to remain quiet. Now, in this moment, there are no monks, but Emma is nowhere to be found, either.


My mind races with worry about Jasmine, and what Emma was to tell me. Is Jasmine sick? Or in trouble at work? Or is there’s another man she’s seeing? A secret life I don’t know about? My thoughts will spin out of control if I continue to think about it, so I return to focusing on finding things to stomp on with my feet.


We return for the afternoon’s second meditation session.


“Focus on the breath,” the monk instructs.


I do as I’m told and hold myself upright, with good posture, and focus on my breath. 


5 seconds in, 5 seconds hold, 5 seconds out—I am getting better at this.


A disturbance interrupts my concentration, a creaking sound from the man next to be who is constantly shifting his position.


A distant pipe gurgles.


My heartbeat thumps louder and louder in my ears.


A panic attack threatens to surface.


I lift my eyes to gaze at the monk sitting at the front. His face is complete peace, not giving anything away. The afternoon sunlight beams in, lighting every wrinkle. Isn’t meditation supposed to bestow youth?


Questions about Jasmine’s departure come up in my mind again.


Thinking about Jasmine, and the floor creaking, and the pipe gurgling, and my heart thumping, the monk not moving, I’m about to scream when a sudden thud echoes through the room.


A young man from our group slumps to the floor. The sound of his snoring fills the room.


We share a moment of amusement, then begin to wonder if we should wake him up. The monk remains motionless. Completely still. The lesson again being that we must accept a man snoring noisily on the floor.


When the mediation is over, someone jostles him awake. He looks embarrassed and glances sheepishly toward Emma. In fact, his many attempts to connect with Emma over the last day must have been obvious to everyone at this silent retreat. 


On the second walk of the day, an opportune moment arises to talk to Emma.


“Who was the man who dozed off?” I inquire in a hushed tone.

“He doesn’t work for Healthspace,” she replies. “Jasmine thought we might hit it off and invited him.”


“Really?” 


“I’m on a blind date at a silent retreat.” Emma chuckles.


Across the lawn, the young man eyes us chatting with obvious concern.


“And the thing you were going to say about Jasmine?” I press.


“Jasmine? Oh that, never mind.”


Her response stirs a flicker of irritation in me, but she’s the only friend I have here. “No problem,” I say, hoping she tells me later.


That evening, I have my nightly five-minute meeting with the monk.


“What exactly are the benefits of silent meditation?” I inquire.


“I can’t say it,” he says. “You must experience it yourself. Like everything else in life.”


“I see,” I reply to this distinctly unhelpful answer.


“Anything else?” he asks.


There is one other thing I’m curious about. “What did you do before this?” 


A glimpse of exasperation furrows his brow. He’s been asked that often, I surmise.


“It’s not important,” he says, smiling serenely, signaling the end to our interaction.


The following day unfolds with endless meditation sessions, like unwelcome encores from an opening act, as I count down the time to 9pm.


Directives are given to focus on: Awareness. Body scanning, Breath Work, Loving-kindness. And then we do it all again.


“Perfection isn’t needed. Practice on your practice,” the monk guides us.


I laugh at the ridiculousness of it all, and at the greater ridiculousness of life. Us humans scurrying around trying to find meaning in a meaningless world. The absurdity of it all makes me feel lighter.


I realize I’m happier when I don’t take everything so seriously.


The meditation sessions over, I fall into a deep slumber–I’ve stopped worrying about the spiders–and dream of things I can’t remember later.


The next morning, I arise at 4:30am to confront the task of packing—an unfamiliar duty after three days of not having to organize anything. Embracing idleness has proven unexpectedly refreshing.


Outside the window I see a hint of orange on the tree leaves, a reminder of the eternal cycle of the seasons. The trees surrender unknowingly to winter, to be reborn the next spring. Nature exists in a state of nirvana.


Farewells are exchanged with Emma and our fellow participants. It feels strange to speak aloud, after all this time, as if we’re committing some sort of offense against the universe.


It dawns on me after Emma departs—we didn't discuss Jasmine. I realize it’s ok not to know. In the distance, I see her familiar car approaching.

February 22, 2024 10:30

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

18 comments

Aaron Bowen
18:34 Feb 26, 2024

So, I would say that you confront two prominent insecurities in this piece: pressure of speech and fear of looking like a fool. You seem to explore pressure of speech in that our protagonist feels compelled to talk as a cover for anxiety; fear of looking like a fool in that he needs the information about Jasmine in order to avoid making a fool of himself. In the end, he learns that both of these are illusions. I wish more people--- especially my highschool students--- were that self-aware.

Reply

02:52 Feb 27, 2024

You picked up on the themes in the back of my mind so well! Not having to know everything is def something we grow to get used to later on in life. Like overhearing ppl gossiping about us and just letting it go. Thanks so much for reading and commenting!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Viga Boland
16:03 Feb 26, 2024

Wonderful, wonderful 👏 Reminded me of the retreat we Catholic schoolgirls were forced to go on in Grade 12. I wanted to write about that. You make me wish I had. Very similar experience but then, not really LOL. Imagine a bunch of 16-year-olds trying to not talk for 48 hours. Oh the agony!

Reply

02:54 Feb 27, 2024

Thx Viga! You can always get back to your story about 12th grade, might also be a good setting for a fictional story too! I've never been on a silent retreat but I've read about it. Yeah I felt like i was going crazy after sitting and kneeling for an hour in catholic church (my mom came from an irish-american family) when I was a kid.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
21:37 Feb 23, 2024

Fun story. His growth as he learns the lessons - indirectly, perhaps not even realizing it - comes across well. It makes the ending work - what was unsaid remains unsaid, and all is well. “I’ve stopped worrying about the spiders–and dream of things I can’t remember later” sounds like a successful retreat :) But it's funny, too. There's struggling with boredom, confronting “the greater ridiculousness of life”, and the whole side premise of a blind date at a 3 day silent retreat :) Enjoyable and believable - thanks for sharing!

Reply

02:22 Feb 24, 2024

Glad you caught that! The blind date on a silent retreat was the best comic idea that came up while I was writing this, that would be a whole another story to write. Since not much happened, I'm happy the MC's comic ranting at the silent retreat carried the plot forward. A few years ago I read a story from a man on a silent retreat, that talked about just how irritating all the little noises from the other participants became after about 3 days of silence (he got used to it by the end of the 10 days) Seems there's some neuroplasticity happe...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Belladona Vulpa
12:28 Feb 27, 2024

Intriguing story! The silent retreat setting adds a fresh angle to the protagonist's self-discovery, and the unexpected blind date twist and the monk's cryptic responses create a captivating narrative. Great job blending humor and reflection seamlessly!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Alexis Araneta
12:52 Feb 26, 2024

Brilliant take, Scott. Beautiful descriptions and lovely flow to the story. I must admit, though, that when the monk asked if anyone wants to back out, I would have bolted out the door. Hahahaha ! Great job !

Reply

Viga Boland
16:04 Feb 26, 2024

Me too!

Reply

Show 0 replies
02:48 Feb 27, 2024

Thx so much! Yeah they have these 10 day silent retreats here, that a fwe of my friends have gone on, but I would so dread stopping my life, and all the busyness, for so long.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Helen A Smith
18:10 Feb 25, 2024

I love your story Scott. It’s curiously peaceful. I actually am quite fond of spiders and am happy to carefully remove them if I’m with someone who can’t stand them (don’t laugh). Many years ago, I went to a Buddhist meeting and couldn’t keep still for more than a few seconds. I felt awkward as everyone else seemed so serene. It was surprisingly difficult to exist in silence when others were present. The awareness of other people’s personal “noises” is depicted well here. Of course, by the end of the retreat the MC was able to appreciate ...

Reply

02:23 Feb 26, 2024

Thanks so much Helen! Didn't know if this one worked;) Happy the internal frustration at being forced to slow down carried through, and had a bit of a hopeful ending. Just accept things, and not overthink them.

Reply

Helen A Smith
09:49 Feb 26, 2024

It would be great to live like that more.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
20:28 Feb 22, 2024

No talk is cheap. Thanks for liking my 'Hammer Down '.

Reply

11:42 Feb 25, 2024

Thanks for checking out my story;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lily Finch
13:53 Feb 22, 2024

Scott, I thought this story had a lot of tension and unknowns that were just enough to keep the reader interested and immersed. What I thought was done well to keep the tension high and maintain the through line: "Over breakfast, I study Jessica’s colleagues again." - we don't know who Jessica is- we assume another colleague. This is our first time meeting her. We want to know how she fits into the story. "As I search for opportunities to speak to Emma again, over and over," The same goes for Emma. She is another one that appears in the ...

Reply

15:15 Feb 22, 2024

Nice. I like the way you said that closing line much better! I updated that, and added another line showing Jasmine on her way. Fixes those other things you mentioned as well, thanks for reading my story so closely, really appreciate it;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
10:50 Feb 22, 2024

First story in a few weeks, haven't thought of a good title yet.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.