6 comments

Romance Friendship Happy

The  hospital  room  was  near  complete  silence.  Nothing,  but  the  rhythmic  snap  of  the  heartbeat  monitor,  provided  an  ease  to  the  quiet.  In  the  dimly  lit  room  a  man  sat,  holding  his  wrinkled  hands  up  to  his  chin.  His  gaze  locked  on  the  small,  frail  woman  lying  in  front  of  him.  Her  peaceful  slumber  would  fool  anyone  into  thinking  she  was  perfectly  healthy.

 The  sudden  movement  of  the  door  brought  the  man  out  of  his  thoughts.

“I’m  sorry,  Mr.  James,  I  just  have  to  perform  a  real  quick  check.”  

The  nurse  explained  as  she  began  to  examine  the  IV.

“Miss  Anna,  you’ve  helped  my  wife  and  I  for  months.  We  consider  you  family.  So  please,  call  me  Logan.” 

Logan’s  deep  voice   quietly  echoed  through  the  room.

Anna  smiled  and  finished  the  check-up.

“Is  Joanna  on  her  way?”  

“She’s  just  a  few  miles  out.  Should  be  here  in  a  couple  minutes.”

Logan  replied.

Anna  nodded  her  head  and  left,  closing  the  door  behind  her.  Silence  regained  control  of  the  room.

Logan  stood  up  and  approached  his  sleeping  wife.  Gently  brushing  his  hand  over  her  smooth  head  where  long,  flowing  hair  once was. 

Then  the  silence  was  shattered.

The  heartbeat  monitor  erupted  into  beeps  and  alarms.  The  sudden  noise  shook  him  to  his  core.

“Claire!  Wake  up!”  Logan  yelled  as  he  gripped  her  hand.

His  wife  slowly  woke  and  looked  him  straight  in  the  eyes.  Fear  swallowed  Logan  as  he  saw  the  look  on  Claire’s  face.  The  look  of  total  exhaustion  and  tiredness.  Her  eyes  told  the  message  of  a  warrior  who  didn’t  want  to  fight  anymore,  but  was  shackled  down  from  the  refusal  of  her  husband.

“Let  me  go,  Logan.”  

Claire’s  weakly,  soft  voice  pleaded  with  him.

“I  can’t  do  this  alone.”  Logan  struggled  to  release  his  words.

“You  will  never  be  alone.  I  will  always  be with  you.”

Logan  couldn’t  say  anything,  but  nod  in  acceptance.

The  heartbeat  monitor  began  to  slow  and  though  he  was  not  dying.  Logan’s  life  flashed  before  his  eyes  as  he  heard  the  final  Eleven  beats  from  Claire’s  heart.  She  looked  at  her  husband’s  weathered  face  one  last  time.

“Good  bye,  Logan”.

11-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-

     1 Year Ago

“Claire,  I  know  it’s  terrifying,  but  we’ll  get  through  this  together.  Like  we  always  have.”

Logan  provided  reassurance  as  he  sat  down  next  to  her  on  the  porch.

“You  heard  what  the  doctor  said.  It’s  cancer  of  the  heart.”

Claire  softly  placed  her  hand  on  the  middle  of  her  chest. 

“And?  You’re  beyond  strong.  Throughout  our  whole  marriage  you’ve  never  let  anything  defeat  you.  This  cancer  will  be  no  different.”

Claire  looked  over  at  Logan.  A  slight  smile  took  form  on  her  mouth.

“I’m  not  letting  it  defeat  me.  I’m  just  trying  to  make  peace.  We’ve  been  married  for  64  years  and  every  single  one  of  those  days  has  been  a  blessing.  This  house,  our  marriage,  our  sweet  Joanna.  I  want  to  remember  all  of  this  as  a  gift.”

“You  will.”

Logan  looked  down  at  his  watch.

“Nurse  Anna  is  about  to  be  here.  No  matter  what  you  want.  I’ll  be  with  you  every  step.”

The  two  sat  on  the  porch.  Listening  to  the  blowing  of  the  wind.

10-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-

       7 Years Ago

The  summer  heat  beat  down  on  the  roof  of  the  house.  Vibrations  flew  through  the  panels  of  the  building  as  Logan  continued  to  swing  the  hammer.  Claire  slowly  walked  around  the  corner  of  the  house.  A  cold  cup  of  water  sloshing  in  her  hand  with  every  step  took.

“You  know  you’re  not  a  young  man  anymore,  right?”

Claire  yelled  over  the  sound  of  the  hammer.

Logan  laughed  and  swung  the  last  nail  into  place,  fixing  the  loose  side  board.

“Claire,  I’m  more  capable  of  doing  this  work  then  most  of  the  men  nowadays.”

“I’m  sure  you  are,  but  80  years  of  age  and  the  way  you’re  currently  standing  on  the  ladder  would  beg  to  differ.”

He  looked  down  at  his  legs  only  to  see  them  shaking  while  placed  on  the  top  of  the  ladder.  Surprise  fell  on  his  face.  He  hadn’t  noticed  till  now,  but  his  work  was  now  done  so  he  began  to  climb  down.  

When  he  touched  the  ground  a  slight  shock  flew  through  his  legs,  causing  him  to  flinch  in  pain. 

“Don’t  say  “I  told  you  so”.  That  was  only  bad  timing.”

Logan  insisted,  while  grabbing  hold  of  the  cup  of  water.

“If  that’s  what  you  want  to  call  it.  I  think  we  should  eat  supper  before  you  have  another  “bad  timing”  moment.”

Claire  laughed  as  the  two  strolled  towards  the  front  porch.

9-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-

     9 Years Ago

“Papa  James,  are  you  sure  this  is  safe?  I’m  not  scared  or  anything  it’s  just,  why  this  hill  out  of  all  the  other  ones?”

A  little  boy  asked.

Logan  huffed  while  pushing  an  old  tire  to  the  top  of  the  hill.

“Because,  This  is  where  you’ll  get  the  fastest  speed  and  the  most  amount  of  fun.”

Logan  said  between  breaths.

Claire  was  waiting  at  the  top  of  the  hill  when  the  two  of  them  arrived.  Logan  dropped  the  tire  and  spent  a  few  moments  catching  his  breath  while  taking  in  the  view.  They  could  see  most  of  their  farmland  from  the  hill  and  the  sight  of  their  home  never  failed  to  amaze  Logan.

He  finally  stood  up  and  began  to  prep  the  tire  into  position.

“Alright,  Tommy.  Are you  ready  for  the  thrill  of  a  lifetime?”

he  asked.

“Yeah.  I’m  ready.”

“Just  don’t  try  anything  stupid  like  your  Papa  used  to  do  when  he  was  a  kid.”

Claire  said  with  a  smirk.

“I  won’t  Grammy.”

Tommy  climbed  inside  the  tire  and,  with  some  adjustment,  fit  perfectly  in  the  middle.

“Here  we  go!”

Logan  yelled  as  he  pushed  the  tire  down  the  hill.

Wind  rushed  past  as  the  tire  rapidly  gained  speed.  Tommy  could  see  the  green  grass  and  blue  sky  blend  together  like  a  painting.  With  each  tiny  bump  the  tire  received  a  small  boost.  As  it  approached  the  bottom  of  the  hill.  One  final  bump  in  the  ground  sent  the  tire  up  into  the  air.  

The  airborne  journey  was  only  a  few  seconds,  but  felt  like  ages  to  Tommy.  The  tire  came  crashing  down  into  the  grassy  patch  at  the  bottom  of  the  hill.  Its  speed  began  dropping  until  finally  circling  into  a  spiral,  bringing  an  end  to  the  ride.

“Tommy!  You  alright?”  

Logan  yelled  down  the  hill.

A  victorious  little  boy  came  jumping  out  of  the  tire.  Ecstatic  from  the  adventure  he  took.

Logan  and  Claire  watched  with  smiles  as  their  grandson  came  rushing  up  the  mountain.  Ready  to  go  again.

8-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/- 

     15 Years Ago

The  morning  was  chilly  and  beautiful,  but  no  time  was  wasted  observing  the  beauty.  Logan  and  Claire  rushed  through  the  twin  doors  and  quickly  made  their  way  to  the  front  desk.

“Hello,  where  is  your  delivery  room?”

Logan  quickly  asked.

“Honey,  calm  down.  We’re  looking  for  a  Mrs.  Joanna  Knight.  She’s  our  daughter.”

Claire  said  calmly.

“Mrs.  Knight,  she’s  currently  in  room  2.  Just  go  down  the  hall  and  through  those  two  doors.  She’ll  be  in  the  second  room  on  the  left.”

The  receptionist  pointed  to  the  left  of  the  desk  at  a  set  of  doors  near  the  end  of  the  hallway.

“Thank  you.”

Claire  said  as  Logan  began  to  speed  walk  to  the  doors.

With  the  press  of  a  button  the  doors  automatically  opened  up  to  a  quiet  office.  Doctors  and  nurses  roamed  from  room  to  room  while  Logan  and  Claire  finally  found  where  Joanna  was  being  kept.  A  quick  twist  of  the  handle  opened  the  door  up  to  a  brunette  haired  woman,  sleeping  peacefully  in  bed.  A  hefty  man  sat  next  to  the  bed  and  smiled  when  they  walked  in.

“Hey  Samson.  How’s  she  doing?”

Logan  quietly  asked.

“She’s  doing  good.  The  doctors  wanted  to  let  her  rest,  before  they  brought  Tommy  in  here.”

“Your  first  child.  This  day  will  be  unforgettable.  Trust  me,  we  know.”

Claire  said.

Samson  nodded  his  head  in  agreement  as  he  stood  up  to  stretch.  Logan  and  Claire  smiled  while  watching  their  sleeping  daughter.  They  were  eager  to  meet  their  grandson.

7-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-

     22 Years Ago  

“Logan,  don’t  forget  the  camera.”

Claire  asked.

“I  knew  I  left  something  at  home.”

A  look  of  shock  took  form  on  Claire’s  face,  but  quickly  dissipated  as  Logan  shuffled  through  the  back  of  their  car.  He  pulled  out  a  small  yellow  camera  and  laughed  while  handing  it  to  her.

“Very  funny.  Now  let’s  hurry  and  find  a  seat  before  they’re  all  taken.”

“It’s  our  daughter’s  wedding,  Claire.  I’m  not  a  gambling  man,  but  I’m  willing  to  bet  she  has  spots  reserved  for  us.”

“I  think  she  said  there’s  a  fee  if  you  show  up  late.”

Claire  joked.

“Looks  like  we’re  not  going  then.”

The  two  laughed  as  they  approached  the  lakeside  pier.  Rows  of  pearly,  white  chairs  had  been  set  up  and  placed  on  the  grass  facing  towards  the  wedding  arch.  Logan  and  Claire  walked  past  multiple  friends  and  family  members  of  Samson’s  that  had  already  filled  most  of  the  chairs.  They  quickly  found  their  seats  that  had  been  saved  for  them  at  the  very  front.

“I’m  so  happy  for  Joanna.  This  is  a  lovely  wedding  set-up  and  such  a  beautiful  location.  Reminds  me  of  our  wedding.”

Claire  mentioned  as  they  sat  and  waited  for  it  to  start.

“The  thing  I  remember  most  about  our  wedding  is  that  darn  ring  we  lost.  Hopefully  Joanna  has  better  luck.”

“If  I  recall  correctly  I  believe  you  lost  the  ring.”

Claire  said. 

Moments  of  talking  and  laughing  passed  when  music  suddenly  started  playing.  The  gathering  of  people  fell  silent  as  the  bride  began  to  walk  out.  Tears  rolled  down  Claire’s  face  and  Logan  sat  in  quiet  as  the  realization  hit.  Their  little  girl  was  now  a  beautiful  woman.

6-/-/-/-/-/-/-

     31 Years Ago

The  sounds  of  cooking  and  cleaning  filled  the  morning.  Claire  moved  from  flipping  the  pancakes  to  sweeping  the  floor  and  folding  clothes.  Logan  was  tying  his  tie  in  front  of  the  hallway  mirror,  but  couldn’t  help  watching  in  awe  as  she  managed  to  switch  tasks  smoothly.

“You  sure  you  don’t  need  help?”

Logan  asked.

“I  love  you  dear,  but  I  have  a  rhythm  going  and  you  have  to  go  to  work.”

“That  was  a  polite  way  of  saying  absolutely  not.”

Claire  snickered  as  she  continued  her  tasks.  The  sudden  sound  of  footsteps  came  rushing  down  the  steps  of  their  house.  Logan  turned  to  see  his  daughter  rush  into  the  kitchen.

“It  smells  delicious.”

Joanna  said.

“Well  I  hope  so.”

Claire  said  while  passing  her  a  plate.

“When  does  your  class  start  today?” 

“In  about  an  hour  and  a half.”

Joanna  said.

Logan  finished  fixing  up  his  tie  and  walked  into  the  kitchen.  

“You’re  first  day  of  college.  You’re  mom  and  I  are  proud  of  you,  Bug.”

Joanna  smiled  and  ate  the  last  of  her  breakfast.  She  handed  it  to  Claire  and  pulled  out  her  keys.

“Can  I  go  and  pick  up  my  friend,  Sarah.  We  have  the  same  classes  together.”

Logan  looked  over  at  Claire  who  shook  her  head  in  agreement.  Joanna  excitedly  gave  them  a  hug  and  walked  out  the  front  door.  Logan  and  Claire  watched  their  daughter  as  she  drove  down  their  driveway  and  out  of  view.

5-/-/-/-/-/-

     45 Years Ago

“Joanna,  where  are  you?”

Logan  said.

Claire  and  Joanna  hid  behind  a  tree  and  watched  him  look  around  for  them.  Logan  examined  the  nearby  playground  and  saw  no  evidence  that  they  were  there.  He  started  to  walk  further  through  the  park,  but  stopped  when  he  heard  the  giggle  of  a  little  girl.

With  a  slight  look  to  the  right  of  him,  he  could  see  the  eye  of  a  girl  attempting  her  best  at  being  sneaky.  Logan  smiled  and  started  to  walk  towards  the  tree.

“I  wonder  if  she’s  right  here.”

Logan  jumped  to  the  back  of  the  tree  and  quickly  grabbed  Joanna.  A  mixture  of  screaming  and  laughter  erupted  from  her.

“Daddy,  you  cheated.  Count  again.”

Logan  laughed  and  nodded  his  head.  Joanna  bolted  to  a  neighboring  tree  and  started  to  hide.  The  two  smiled  as  she  periodically  poked  her  head  out  from  the  tree.

4-/-/-/-/-

     50 years Ago

Logan’s  hands  were  shaking  while  he  walked  back  and  forth  in  front  of  the  nursery.  He  checked  the  clock  again  while  he  waited.  He  hardly  got  scared  of  anything,  but  at  this  moment,  he  was  terrified.  Each  time  the  nursery  door  opened  his  breath  would  escape  him.

     It  felt  like  he  had  been  waiting  for  centuries,  but  then  the  door  opened  again.  A  nurse  walked  in  carrying  a  tiny  blanket  in  her  arms.  As  she  set  the  blanket  down  to  reveal  the  little  baby,  Logan  froze.

He  slowly  walked  up  to  the  glass  and  looked  down  at  his  daughter.  She  was  only  a  few  minutes  old,  but  was  already  a  master  thief  that  had  stolen  Logan’s  heart.  He  forced  himself  to  walk  back  to  the  room  and  tell  Claire  all  about  their  daughter.

3-/-/-/-

     62 Years Ago

“Okay,  are  you  ready?”

Logan  asked,  while  covering  Claire’s  eyes.

“I’m  ready.”

Logan  slowly  removed  his  hands  to  reveal  a  two-story house.  Claire’s  face  fell  in  shock.

The  house  had  a  new  coat  of  red  paint  and  white  outlines  around  the  windows.  Claire  stepped  on  the  front  porch  and  slid  her  hand  on  the  wood  railing  surrounding  the  porch.

There  were  still  parts  that  needed  painting  and  furniture  needed  to  be  brought  in,  but  it  was  more  than  Claire  ever  imagined.  The  house  sat  in  the  middle  of  an  open  field  that  now  belonged  to  the  two  of  them.

“I  love  all  of  this.”

Claire  exclaimed.

“Well,  I  figured  we  need  some  place  to  start  a  life.”

Logan  said.

Claire  rested  her  head  on  Logan’s  shoulder  while  they  looked  out  at  the  land  they  now  owned.

2-/-/-

     65 Years Ago

Logan  and  Claire  looked  lovingly  into  each  other’s  eyes  as  the  pastor  prepared  to  marry  the  two.  They  didn’t  have  any  family  members,  but  their  friends  filled  the  chairs  and  happily  watched.

“The  rings?”

The  pastor  asked.

Logan  reached  into  his  pocket  to  pull  out  the  ring,  but  felt  nothing.  Claire  watched  as  he  checked  each  of  his  pockets  until  finally  pulling  out  his  handkerchief.

With  a  partial  straight  face,  he  began  to  tie  it  around  Claire’s  finger.

“I  suppose  that  works.”

The  pastor  said  while  holding  back  laughter.

“I  now  pronounce  you,  Husband  and  Wife.  You  may  kiss  the  bride.”

The  room  filled  with  celebration  and  laughter  as  Logan  and  Claire  kissed  for  the  first  time  as  newlyweds.  They  were  ready  for  their  life  together.

1-/-

     67 Years Ago  

Logan  had  been  waiting  at  the  post  office  long  enough  for  tiredness  to  kick  in.  His  eyes  started  to  feel  heavy,  but  he  quickly  woke  up  from  the  voice  of  someone  yelling.

“I  can  get  whoever’s  next.”

A  postal  worker  called  from  behind  her  desk.

Logan  made  a  sigh  of  relief.  The  post  office  was  slow  today  and  he  was  almost  ready  to  leave  and  come  back  tomorrow.  He  made  his  way  to  the  open  desk and sorted  his  mail  in  order,  while  walking  to  the  far  end  of  the  room.

When  he  reached  the  desk  his  hand  hit  the  chair  next  to  him,  causing  the  mail  to  disperse  on  the  ground.

“I’m  sorry.  Give  me  just  a  second.”

Logan  said.

He  leaned  over  and  picked  up  the  envelopes  of  mail,  having  to  resort  them  back  in  place. After  a  few  seconds,  Logan  got  up  and  sat  in  the  chair.  His  eyes  met  the  postal  worker  and  he  froze.

Her  beauty  entrapped  Logan.  Time  felt  like  it  went  away,  but  her  sudden  gesture  towards  him  brought  him  back  to  reality.  He  handed  her  the  mail  and  tried  to  fight  that  moment  of  embarrassment.

She  began  to  check  each  envelope  and  make  sure  everything  was  in  place.  Logan  tried  to  think  of  how  to  start  a  conversation  with  her.  He  looked  on  her  desk  and  saw  a  nameplate,  but  loose  papers  covered  half  of  it.

In  a  moment  of  desperation,  Logan  said  the  only  thing  he  knew  about  her.

“Hello,  Claire.”

Claire  looked  up  and  slightly  smiled  before  looking  back  at  the  envelopes.  Logan  looked  down  at  his  watch  and  replayed  it  in  his  head,  over  and  over  again.

“I’ve  been  sitting  here  for  nearly  three  minutes  and  the  best  I  could  think  of,  was  randomly  greeting  her.”

He  thought  to  himself.

Logan  sat  silently  and  watched  her  finish  the  last  of  his  mail.  He  started  to  stand  up  and  leave  when  she  placed  the  last  envelope  away,  but  stopped  when  she  looked  up  at  him  as  if  she  was  going  to  speak.

“Hello,  Logan.”

April 16, 2021 16:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

6 comments

Writer Maniac
11:48 Apr 22, 2021

I'm sorry I'm late, I had some things to take care of. The story was beautifully written and the pacing was fabulous. You got all the perfect 'beats' if I may, and it was quite clever that you used the word in the heartbeat sense as well as the beats of the story. I could see their whole journey unwind in front of my eyes, and it was perfectly imperfect, and that's what made it so enjoyable to read. Well done. If you have time, I would appreciate some feedback on 'Forget-Me-Not'.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Hi Jacob! This was really good:) I loved how you started with an emotional relationship and worked it till the beginning! The details were great and I think this was very creative, good job!!!

Reply

Jacob Rainey
16:30 Apr 18, 2021

Thank you very much, Vimal. It means a lot. Did you write a short story for this past prompt? I don’t see a story on your profile.

Reply

Of course Jacob! My pleasure:) No, i didn't because all my writing skills go into my novel so I haven't had time to write on reedsy:(

Reply

Jacob Rainey
16:38 Apr 18, 2021

I want to be able to write a full book. That’s the main reason why I’m writing on Reedsy. To get better at writing, I hope. Will you be publishing your novel once you finish it?

Reply

Yeah, same here. I hope so! I'll have to write a chp, edit it and post it on wattpad. its better than writing everything and then editing it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.