0 comments

Happy Inspirational Sad

When you open your eyes, what is the first thing that you see before anything? No it is not your room, it’s not the face of a loved one, not even your own self. What you see is light that welcomes you every single day. Light that fills the eyes that turn into the shapes, turns into color, and turns into the people you know and love. That’s what we all see, yet we never seem to remember what it is that brings us these cherishing tales and moments. We ignore it, sometimes hide from it, and even hate it at times for doing what it always does. Something that gives us life and happiness, the sun.

When the Sun awoke the day it was created, it did not know the concept of what a day was, nor what an eternity is. When the cosmic dance stepped too and fro, gathering together to make the ball of life, known as Terra, the Sun cherished that ball. When Terra was hit with meteors and lost a bit of itself that became Luna, the Sun was always there beside it to bask it within its own glow. Slowly, Terra went from brown and red to blue. It’s skies turned dark as it cried with its tears becoming the oceans that the sun delved light onto. The first plants soaked the light to create the air, to give Terra its own breath of life and a voice. As time went on, with other planets joining the Sun’s infinite dance as she twirled around the unknown, only one planet did not join the song and dance as the others did. As time went on, Terra and Luna made their own dance and their own song which held the notes of life. Animals roamed Terra and called it home, some were more than that, which they called themselves humans. They looked towards the sun from the face of Terra and promised the sky, “We thank you for life.” said the people of Terra. The sun gave thanks with the summers that gave warmth and life, losing sight when the moon took over the dawn and forced the humans to make fire. 

“The light is just like yours!” said the humans, basking in the warmth of burning wood during the night while watching the trees grow during the day. Slowly, as if in a blink of an eye the face of Terra changed again. Humans did more than just make fire, they gathered together and placed food in the ground and watched it grow just like the trees. “Your light makes the food grow, it feeds us when we are hungry and we thank you!” The humans were thankful for the Sun’s light and sought to love the Sun so much, they gave her a name. “You are Sol, Goddess of Light and Life!” shouted the humans. The Sun was moved and adopted this name, Sol, simple but with so much meaning.

Sadly, that day continued infinitely, slowly she saw the Humans build structures that blocked out portions of Terra from her gaze. When Sol asked what had happened, they responded, “Earth is our home and so we build houses upon her, they keep us safe and warm when you are not around.” Even Terra’s name was changed, now Earth as the ground that the Humans stood upon. Though Humanity was giving a shoulder of ice, Sol loved the children of Earth very much and continued to shine her basking glow. Dancing further and twirling around, her steps moving them all. But the Humans did not see it this way, “Earth is the center of the universe! Sol dances around us!” this pained Sol greatly, as she heard those words. She was so great, so generous in the life that she gave to Humanity that they forgot who gave it to them. But she did not speak, because she loved those of Earth and allowed herself to be seen as the Child of Terra, continuing the cosmic dance around the galaxy.

Within another blink, Earth had changed once again. Turning, she looked upon it and saw Humanity had spanned across continents with pillars of gases and houses, filling the atmosphere with things that Terra would’ve never allowed. Sol asked humanity again, what were they doing? Humanity replied, “Ensure that you never set on our empires!” shouted the humans in return, “We bask in your glorious glow, so that no matter where we spin or revolve, we can be seen by you!” Sol was impressed that Humanity had moved from the phase of seeing themselves in the center, but was scared of the steps they were taking to make sure that she saw them. Sol, seeing so much change so quickly, could not believe that such a day could bring so much. The Humans even started to find the other planets and gave them names, Mercury, Venus, Luna became the Moon, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, even small little Pluto who still danced in her own special way. Taking names from the past and giving them new life, it brought a small bit of happiness to Sol but so much changed and humanity forgot how much she cared for them.

Turning away, Sol continued the great dance and swung herself around. Even as she saw her Brothers and Sisters appear and disappear as time went on, she knew that her dance was beautiful and that with Terra by her side she knew that such a dance could never be seen without the applause on a galactic scale. But when she turned back, she was met with more change.

Humanity had escaped the grasp of Earth, sending small little probes around her studio to each and every planet. “We must learn about you!” said the humans, bursting with energy from having gone beyond the surface of Earth, “Our sun is the hope of the Solar System! So we will dance just like you!” Being called the Sun again felt weird as she was always known as Sol. But she did not say anything, because after all this time and so much pain, she still loved humanity and she still loved the Earth. The endless day continued, she watched as the small ships and craft explored her stage, with a few even coming to record the Sun dance in infinite. “You hold so much to learn, dear Sun. Teach us everything.” Though the Sun had long since stopped talking to humanity, she simply continued her dance silently, allowing herself to simply spin faster and lash out her hair, sending waves across the system.

Turning back to Humanity, the time when her stage was so full of things, now seemed so empty. She saw the distance and weak grasp of the voyagers that went beyond her studio, to find what was outside in the greater galactic world. Shining her light upon the Earth, she found that humanity held onto her gaze to power their own light. Though the Earth was getting sick, she looked content, as she did when she was simply known as Terra. Humanity, though not looking towards the light anymore, was still loved greatly by the Sun. Her dance, bringing the life and forces that brought them together, to see one another and breathe the precious air. It was all filled with love, with care, and with hope. She sent another message, asking them to remember her as she turned away for the final time. Knowing that humanity will not answer back, the Sun then opened her eyes, gazing far into the center of the galaxy she called home. Setting the setting of a black hole, as it consumed one of her Brothers or Sisters, she closed her eyes for the final time. Letting the eternal day end and go on, just as her song and dance have been, forever.

June 19, 2021 20:22

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.