0 comments

General

Can you keep a keep a secret? Asked Maggie, my best friend and workmate.

Of course you can trust me with your life! I answered back

Promise you will not tell anyone what am about to tell you! Maggie was now shaking, I could tell she had doubts whether to tell me or not!

She whispered her mysterious secret in my ears!

what? No this can't be true? I shouted back at her in shock! Why did you do it? I almost passed out!

I have to tell her! I continued

But you promised that you won't tell anyone! Maggie tried to defend herself!

Finally the big day was here! All the wedding preparations were over! Couldn't wait to see my lovely twin sister, Muhonja walk down the aisle with the man of her dreams! Wow! It's going to be a very joyous occasion. The saying goes, a journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step! Indeed it was a tedious journey to finally reach to the destination.

Just the other day my twin sister, Muhonja told me that she was in love! She had finally met her prince charming and was ready to tie the knot with him. I remember I cautiously warned her not to rush things over but she wouldn't hear a thing I said. Indeed, love is blind! She assured me that her husband to be had only eyes for her. She trusted her fiancé with all heart. This made me feel so jealousy! I mean, my twin sister was getting married while I didn't even have a boyfriend! She must be very lucky if not blessed!

All the family members were present. This is one of those rare occasions where all relatives meet! Some came from overseas while some came from our village! Starting from our old fragile Grandma, who was the love of the family, everyone adored her and enjoyed listening to her weird stories of man eating beasts which lived under the water! At one time, she made us believe that she had met with a werewolf face to face, and that one of her brothers was indeed a night runner! All her stories were very interesting and we couldn't wait for her next story!

Our dear uncle who we all dreaded was also present! we call him uncle scar! Because in every occasion or family gathering, he always leaves a scar in our hearts. I remember during my grandfather's funeral, uncle scar was almost buried alive! He came to the funeral dead drunk! When my grandfather's casket was lowered to the grave, he slipped and fell on top of the casket and passed out! Shocked! Everyone screamed! We thought he had died too! Women murmured among themselves that it was a bad omen for the family!

Aunty Ombekle was also in attendance, she always found fault in everyone and everything! Liz! She called me out aloud! Why did you and your sister choose red as the wedding theme? No! you have to change it! Don't you know red is bad luck! It signifies danger! Bad luck!

Aunty please! I answered her back! How is that even possible! She looked at me sarcastically, sneered and walked to the furthest corner of the room and sat down.

Cousin Siprosa couldn't miss the occasion too, Oh My God! She was pregnant again! The last time I saw her, she was pregnant! Now here again! Or maybe it's just my eyes cheating me! Maybe she has added more weight that's making her look pregnant? I will soon find out!

Alice! The know it all, curious village neighbor had also accompanied Grandma all the way from the village. She's so evil and always wants things to go wrong so that she can have a story to tell! Why did Grandma come with her?

Cousin Davie also was in attendance! He came with a very beautiful Arabic lady who looked like the queen of Arabia. Cousin Davie always had different girlfriends for different occasions! He is never serious with life! But who can blame him? He is tall, handsome, well built with a very lovely gap between his two front teeth, every girl dreams to have a man like him!

Liz! You promised to keep the secret! Maggie shouted at me!

What secret? Asked my twin sister Muhonja, who walked in on us!

Puzzled! Shocked! I turned to look at my dear sister who looked lovely, happy and hopeful!

Maggie pulled me aside! Come on! You can't tell your sister what I told you! She pleaded me!

Maggie had shared her little secret with me, she told me that she was pregnant for Ken! But she promised that she will abort the pregnancy and never again have anything to do with Ken, If I promise not to tell anyone. Ken was my twin sister's husband to be! Maggie and Ken have been having a secret rendezvous affair at the back of my sister!

Maggie was my best friend who we shared deep secrets with, but Muhonja was my twin sister, who I shared the same womb with! How can I keep this back stabbing secret from her! And to make matters worse! Maggie was one of the Bride's maid! I couldn't believe Maggie could do something like this! I mean there was no difference between me and my sister! I bet Maggie could have done the same thing to me! I thought aloud!

Now am torn in between! First of all now I really hate Maggie with all my heart! How can she do this to my twin sister? She is a hypocrite of the highest degree! And an evil witch! My friendship with her ends right now!

On the other hand, if I tell Muhonja, my twin sister this dreadful secret, it will destroy her! It will send her to an early grave! She loves Ken with all heart and was over excited about her wedding. She told me that she always dreamt of walking down the aisle with Ken!

My dilemma! Can I possibly keep this secret?

August 21, 2020 13:28

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.