2 comments

Friendship Inspirational

“First time flying, huh?”


“That obvious?”


“Well, not at first. As soon as the plane took off and during the emergency safety drill, you started fidgeting. I kind of had a feeling.”


“I’m usually a calm person. I don’t know why I’m so nervous.”


“This is probably my 100th time flying, so I’m an old pro.”

“I sat next to the right person. You can help distract me.”


“I’m a good listener and a good talker. I can talk, or you can talk, the whole trip if you want. Since I get special seating, usually nobody sits next to me. I'm glad I have someone to talk to for a change. The positive thing is it’s not a long flight.”


“Yes, that is a positive. It’s one of the two reasons why I decided to take the flight.”


“What’s the second reason?”


“A potential job. I have a job interview. Another reason why I’m a nervous wreck!”


“Good luck to you. If you don’t mind me asking. What’s the job?”


“Manager of a medical supply company. I’m currently assistant manager of this same medical supply company in New Jersey. I’ve been there for 10 years. I was asked to fill a position as manager at the Florida location.”


“Wow. You’re going to relocate? Brave of you.”


“I need a change. I went through, uh…some issues recently. Went through depression. ‘Definitely pursue this chance, Sammy’. ‘It’s a good opportunity for you, Sammy’. The advice from friends and family.”


“That’s good advice. Sammy? Short for…?”


“Samantha. Oh my goodness! Here we are talking, getting acquainted, and I didn’t even introduce myself! Samantha Dawson.”


“Pleasure to meet you. My name is Peter Gibbs.”


“Pleasure to meet you as well, Mr. Gibbs.”


“Please, call me Pete. Don’t have to be so formal.”


“Okay, Pete. You can call me Sammy. So, Pete, obviously you travel a lot. 100th time flying?”


“Well, maybe a slight exaggeration. It seems like 100 times. Probably a little less. I’m a motivational speaker. I speak at forums basically all over the world. Like you, I had issues, and I dealt with them. Still dealing with some of them, actually. I tell my story and what I went through to people who are going through similar issues. It helps them cope and at the same time helps me cope. Telling my story helps me as well.”


“Wait a minute! I know who you are! Peter Gibbs! Geez, why didn't I pick up on it? You're the famous Peter Gibbs!”


“I wouldn't go that far.”


“I would. You won so many awards for your speaking! You were on the cover of a fitness magazine and on TV a few times! I can't believe I got a seat on a plane next to a true celebrity!”


“Now you're getting carried away.”


“What you went through! So incredible! You really died and went to heaven?”


“Well, uh …yeah.”


“Wow. How was that?”


“Incredible. Except for the…”


“The whiteness, right? I heard that about you.”


“Heard what about me?”


“How much you loved heaven but that you hated the whiteness.”


“It just made me realize that I had died. Briefly, but still.”


“You met your dead grandmother in heaven. That must have been something.”


“Amazing.” 

“You're a, uh…ghost whisperer, right?”


“That's what a lot of people think about me. No, I'm not a ghost whisperer. The entities I've spoken to were brought down by my grandmother.”


“You call them ‘entities’. That's a better word than ghosts.”


“That's what they were to me.”


“How are your twin boys doing? What are their names again.”


“Ryan and Paulo. They are doing wonderful. Almost a year old. They will be walking very soon.”


“I'm sure they will be quite active. They'll be running very soon. You will be running after them.”


“Uh…no, not quite.”


“Oh! I'm so stupid! My biggest flaw is I don't think before I speak!”


“It's okay. Don't…”


“It's not okay! Why would I say that? Stupid! So stupid! You're paralyzed! You're in a wheelchair! I knew that! Please, forgive me. I'm so sorry.”


“Don't apologize. It'll take a lot to offend me.”


“Yeah, I suppose. You've been through a lot. Nothing phases you anymore, right?”


“I just take it one day at a time.”


“All you can do, I guess.”


“You got that right.”


“How's your family?”


“Doing great. They are the best.”


“How's your wife?”


“Wonderful. She's the best thing to come into my life. Stuck by me when I became disabled, during my drug addiction, slipping into a coma, almost dying and my mental breakdown. You know all that. Definitely don’t want to dredge up the past. Anyway, my wife kept me going. Are you married, Sammy?”


“Uh…I'm a widow.”


“Oh, I'm sorry.”


“It's okay. I've accepted his death. Billy. That was his name. William James Dawson. When cancer took Billy from this world six months ago, I was so lost. I formed this shell over me, and it consumed me.”

“Depression.”


“Depression.”


“I know it well. You beat it, though. Good for you.”


“It wasn't easy but I bounced up and didn't come down. I feel this new job is a new chapter in my life.”


“Closure.”


“Yes. Closure.”


“Congratulations. Definitely a positive step.”


“That makes me feel good hearing it from an award winning motivational speaker!”


“Well, my therapist literally saved me from that dark abyss I fell into. I thank him for my success now. It's not my doing.”


“Oh please. You're so modest. That's also what people say about you. You never brag and they say what a nice guy you are.”


“Whoever these 'people' are, they sure know a lot about me. Let me guess. The 'people' on social media?”


“I know. Probably shouldn't believe what social media says.”


“Freedom of speech, freedom of the press and all that. I used to hate, hate, being in the spotlight. Despised the media attention. Now? I love it. I changed a lot in the last four years, that's for sure. It's all good. I'm in a good place right now.”


“You definitely found your calling with motivational speaking. You have a gift. Obviously, winning all those awards!”


“I do love it.”


“Are you speaking at a forum in Naples?”


“Yes.”


“So tell me about this forum.”


“It's taking place tomorrow. I believe maybe 20 people will be in attendance. My wife used to attend every lecture with me. I wanted her to. Actually, I needed her to. Knowing she was there always calmed me down.”


“Wait a minute. You're telling me that you still get nervous when you speak?”


“A little. I'm a lot better now, and I don't have to have my wife with me anymore.”

“And your lectures are really four hours long?”


“Yes. I'm always afraid I'm boring everyone, but the people seem attentive and awake.”


“From what I've seen on,sorry, social media, your lectures are far from boring.”


“I try to motivate people and give them inspiration.”


“You definitely accomplish that.”


“So, what type of medical supplies does the company you work for deal with?”


“Mainly medical supplies that are in ambulances.”


“I've been in ambulances probably as much as I've been on a plane. Sad but true. The oxygen masks and IVs are thanks to you.”


“You can say that.”


“Flight attendants, prepare for landing please. Cabin crew, please take your seats for landing.”


“That was the pilot. We're landing soon!” 


“See that, Sammy? It wasn't so bad, was it?”


“Not at all. My new friend, Peter Gibbs, helped me deal with my nerves.”


“It was a pleasure talking to you, Samantha Dawson.”

 

“Ladies and gentlemen, United Airlines welcomes you to Naples, Florida. The local time is 10:18am. For your safety and the safety of those around you, please remain seated with your seat belt fastened and keep the aisles clear until we are parked at the gate. Thank you for flying United and enjoy your stay.”


“I'm wheelchair bound, so I have to get off last.”


“Really? That's not right.”


“It's airplane rules. I got on the plane first.”


“That's what you meant when you said you had special seating.”


“Passengers in wheelchairs get the front row and get on first.”


“I'm positive it's more because of your celebrity status!”


“That's definitely not the reason.”

“I have to catch my taxi to the interview. It starts at noon.”


“Cutting it close.”


“It was the only flight I could get. I should make it. It's only 20 minutes away.”


“Well, good luck to you. Hope you get the job. Here. Take my business card. It has my cell number on it. I want to know how the interview went. Let me know if you got the job. Will you do that?”


“Absolutely. I hope we keep in touch. I'm lucky to have met you.”


“Likewise.” 


“I don't need to wish you success. You're already doing well. I'm sure I'll see something on, sorry again, social media, about you in the coming weeks.”


“I don't know. Maybe. Maybe not.”


“Goodbye, Peter.”


“Goodbye, Sammy.”







February 24, 2023 03:02

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Tricia Shulist
21:16 Mar 02, 2023

The dialogue only format was done right. Smooth transition for landing — any one would recognized the pre-landing announcement. I liked that Sammy was a bit star struck, and then awkwardly stuck her foot in it when she said that Peter would be running after the kids. I wonder if they will stay in touch. Thanks for this.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Gloria Preston
16:42 Feb 27, 2023

Well done! The task you undertook to write in 'dialogue only' is complex. This dialogue flows naturally from speaker to speaker. There is no confusion about who is speaking. The story content is delightful. I was hoping that Sammy would attend the lecture in place of his wife. And the fact that I predicted events demonstrates I was engaged. This is a sweet, entertaining story.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.