THOSE TEN DAYS

Submitted into Contest #74 in response to: Write a story that takes place across ten days.... view prompt

0 comments

Drama Contemporary Fiction

In politics there are always ups and downs everywhere including in my India. Individual States of India have their own legislatures with a ruling party and an opposition. The present ruling party of a State was on the decline and the leader of the opposition referred to as ‘pilot’ was expected to upset the prevailing situation. Pilot was expected to become the Chief Minister after forthcoming polls. Pilot was quite popular in his city and State. He was referred to by that name as he had trained early to fly but he had abandoned that career and turned to politics. Pilot was a little short, handsome and was balding. His ever smiling face was his draw. Now at 45 he had put on weight and looked stocky.

That morning he was in a meeting with his henchmen planning strategy. It was lunch time when the meeting was over and he headed home. His wife Renu, who hailed from the same village as himself, was a former filmstar and still had preserved her looks and figure. She was waiting to have lunch with him. As they moved towards the dining hall, a security man at the gate came and saluting Pilot, said “There’s a man named Kali wanting to see you to deliver a message. He says it’s urgent.”

Pilot consulted Renu and said “I don’t recall any Kali.” He thought a bit and said “Let him into the audience chamber after 15 minutes. I’ll see him there.”

Pilot finished lunch and went to see the visitor. The man stood up from his chair and cordially wished Pilot. The two then sat facing each other. The man said “Respected Sir, my name is Kali. I was the chief farmhand of the farmland adjoining your late father’s estate.”

 Kali continued “Sir, I know you’ll become the CM after elections.”

Pilot said “I’m waiting to hear your message.”

“Sir your late father had annexed a big portion of adjoining land. You had........”

Pilot cut in saying “May be but why have you come to see me now?”

“Sir, your father had taken illegal possession of land. I need a million rupees and don’t know anyone else who could give me the amount.”

Pilot was suddenly aware the man was trying blackmail. Kali continued “It all happened 4 years ago. I’m sure you wouldn’t like someone again opening the case where the revenue collecting authority was murdered for siding your neighbour. Of course it was called the Shiva Estate case which had figured in the legislature and is now dormant. Madam Renu’s brother was involved. I know the driver of the lorry which killed the collector. I’ve new evidence which I’ll suppress provided you pay me a million rupees. If I seek reopening of the case you may not become CM.”

Pilot said “It’s a very big amount.”

Kali said seriously “Remember otherwise you may not become CM. The odium of my revelations will surely resonate and you may not get voted.”

“I can’t give you that much money.”

“Sir is that your decision?”

“Yes. I won’t surrender to blackmail.”

Kali said “I’m sure you would need time to think it over. Please take 10 days for it. Today is the 20th. I’m sure you would like to change your mind by the 1st of next month. Sir thank you for your time.” Kali walked out.

Pilot sat wondering what he should do. He was ambitious and eager to get the CM’s post. He had succeeded in keeping the Shiva Estate case under wraps. He sat recalling the case. No doubt his father had illegally seized a large portion of the land adjoining his. He had also conspired to do away with the revenue collector who had been siding the owner of the adjoining land. It was Renu’s brother who had arranged to eliminate the hostile collector. It was made out to be an accident as the collector had been slightly drunk while going on his motorbike. The driver of the lorry which had crashed into the bike had been paid to do the job. Pilot now realised he hadn’t bargained with Kali. May be Kali would accept less.

After a while Pilot discussed the matter with Renu. She said “My brother is now settled in far away New Zealand. There’s no case against him. The collector had been drunk. Actually my brother had bought off the new collector cheaply to settle the case against your father. Opening the case would cause no harm to you.”

Pilot said “As leader of the opposition I hadn’t done my duty. Some legislator could take up the case and spoil my chances of becoming CM. I hope Kali doesn’t spring a surprise by opening up the can of worms.”

Renu said “Don’t worry too much. You’ve 10 days to take the decision. We’ll come up with some way to gag Kali.”

Renu too was worried though she didn’t reveal her thoughts. She called a fixer named Blade whom she had used in the past. He promised to visit her the next day. Blade arrived and was with Renu. He was a short man almost black in color, with a cap to cover his bald head and had a long beard. He hailed from their village and was a confidant of her family. Though he appeared friendly he was a terrorist and would settle scores for money.

Renu said “My husband is being blackmailed by Kali. You may know that fellow.”

“Of course I know him. Not only him but his entire family.”

“Can you help?”

“Are you saying we get rid of him?”

“It all depends on you. I’ll compensate you for whatever you do,”

“Give me 2 days. I’ll think up something. I’ve to be careful as your husband’s reputation shouldn’t be compromised by my actions.”

The third day Blade was with Renu. He said “I’ve thought up a way. It’s through Kali’s wife.”

Blade said “Kali once had a liaison with a woman of our village named Laxmi. She got pregnant through him. She wanted him to marry her but he refused. On the way to a temple festival Laxmi was raped and she charged Kali for causing it. The case was somehow suppressed. That woman is now in your husband’s party and is a member of the opposition along with your husband. Kali has grown rich through his marriage and if his wife came to know of the past liaison she could throw him out.”

Renu asked “Then why does he want to blackmail my husband?”

“I’ll tell you why. Kali has an only son who is a school dropout and is a useless fellow. The parents it seems had expected much out of him but he was a thorough disappointment. Kali needs the money for the son’s well being. Actually, the son had been caught in a police case and has taken refuge in a religious order in the far north of the country saying he will be taking orders. I wouldn’t believe him.”

“I understand. What is your solution?”

“Your husband could use his clout to make police withdraw the case against him. He is a tall handsome fellow with a booming voice and could be a good rabble rouser. I’ll get you details of the fellow’s present place of stay. Suitably silence Laxmi, and induct Kali’s son into your husband’s party. He’ll drop his demand for money.”

Renu said “Blade, you’ve made an excellent suggestion. I’m sure Kali will understand. How much do I pay you for your help?”

“Nothing now. I may come for something later after your husband becomes CM. Thank you for remembering me and taking my help.”

Renu said “My thanks to you. We’ll always remember you.”

That was how Kali’s son became youth leader of the party. Kali didn’t need to wait for the 10 days for Pilot’s answer!

END

December 25, 2020 16:33

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.