0 comments

Christian Fiction Inspirational

While flipping through her emails on a humid and gloomy Summer’s morning, Marie stumbled upon a writing contest site: reedsy.com. Ordinarily, she would have immediately hit the delete key. Something stopped her and she read the introduction. 

Hmm. There’s a topic that fascinates me. I’m going to give it a go.

Writing had been a life-long passion for this now septuagenarian. Told by her parents as a child that she had no talent, she had given-up on attempts to produce any potentially worthwhile piece. Oh, she’d written some small articles for a local Cancer support center. Their monthly newsletter shared stories about the experiences and lives of Cancer patients following interviews. While the center had praised her work, and the interviewees were delighted, the voice in her head continued to play, You have no talent. You’re not a writer

With this contest opportunity before her eyes, she had to wonder, Was this sent to me in error? Or, has it been sent because this is my time to blossom and shine?  Marie was almost late for a dental appointment. She closed up her computer and hurried off. Her mind, however, carried the challenge with her. The dentist appointment was not on the top of her list of pleasant events. To get her mind off of the teeth cleaning, she mulled over the Reedsy topics. Before she realized how much time had passed, her dental cleaning was completed. This experience could be the basis for a story!  Marie’s heart rate sped up as an excitement began to fill her being. What is happening to me? I’ve never felt so motivated and driven to write.

Instead of going directly home, while on her way to a local park to meditate on this challenge, her car stalled right there near the entrance. The vehicle was a 2020, so she could think of no reason that it should break-down. She pulled out her automobile club card, made the service call, then sat waiting for a tow truck to respond “within the hour.” 

Luckily, Marie had brought her laptop with her in the car. With a click on her lists app, she began noting what she considered to be interesting aspects of her hygienist’s conversation. Normally, she wouldn’t have given it a second thought. A feeling had a hold on her that she couldn’t shake. I must write about her. The Reedsy topic that fit was, “Write about someone whose life is totally different from yours, but you found that person to be fascinating and inspirational.” Ellen surely fit the bill. 

During the cleaning, Marie had learned that Ellen had never wanted to be a dental hygienist. As a child, she dreaded all dental office visits. What her dream had been was to be an actress. Following some minor roles in school plays, she went on to try out at the local community theater during her senior high school year. When show after show, all she was selected for were minor roles, her dream was shattered. This was not what she had envisioned. Ellen met with the Director and point-blank asked what her future potential was as an actress. 

“You have improved considerably, but your inner spirit doesn’t shine through. It’s as though your heart isn’t totally in what you are doing.”

Ellen had thought that her heart was in her acting, so this was a major disappointment to her. Initially, she wanted to go home and sleep to escape the deep hurt that engulfed her being. Well, she went home, grabbed her mail from the mailbox, and began to shuffle through the envelopes. One of the flyers was an advertisement for a dental hygienist course at the community college. It was a two-year program and there was a scholarship opportunity. This is very weird. Would I actually enjoy being a dental hygienist?

The next week she was already scheduled for her annual dental check-up and cleaning. She took the flyer with her to the appointment to discuss with her dentist. 

“You would be perfect for this career,” she was told. “Your teeth are white, perfectly aligned and your personality would brighten any patient’s day. I’d be proud to sponsor you.” 

A bit overwhelmed by this drastic change in future goals, Ellen said that she was honored, but that she’d have to give it some more thought. After a few days of discussing this chance with her friends and family, it became apparent that something was working in her life that was beyond her control. A believer in spiritual energy, that had to be what was guiding her. 

That was three years ago. Ellen accepted the sponsorship, completed the course, and there she was earning an income doing what she, to her utter surprise, thoroughly enjoyed doing. It’s like an art. ” I’m cleaning teeth, giving patients a new beginning with each cleaning to maintain the health of their teeth.”

When the tow truck arrived, Marie was startled. She’d been so engrossed in writing about Ellen that she was a bit disoriented, having forgotten that she was waiting for her vehicle to get towed to a garage so the stalling problem could be determined and fixed. She had a full story all written, ready to be reviewed and sent to Reedsy.com. 

The garage owner determined that her car's timing belt need a simple adjustment. Once completed, it was ready to take-off. And, so was Marie. With an enthusiasm unlike any she had ever felt, pushing the send button to forward her written story to reedsy.com was done with previously unknown confidence. 

When the comments began coming in, supporting her article, Marie broke down in tears. I can’t believe that so many could relate to what I shared. Some were inspired to reconnect with their old dreams and goals. Wow!

The tallying of votes was complete, and the prize-winning email was sent to Marie. 

She then went on to pursue her writing career, at the age of 73, selling thousands of books. If only I had followed my dream 60 years ago!

June 04, 2021 19:36

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.