2 comments

Romance


This is my nightmare, this is my actual nightmare. Why did I have to come out? What on earth possessed me? One of my least intelligent ideas and perhaps my last. 



An unforgiving heat wave had forced us out. Between my tossing and turning on the pull-out sofa and Gromit’s relentless flitting between dog bed and kitchen floor, we were on track for a hopeless night of insomnia. As I stared at the ceiling I fantasised of plunging into an icy pool, floating bare, gazing at the blackness above. But let's be real, this isn’t California, this is the Lake District, there isn’t much call for outdoor pools in the wettest part of the UK. The cool waters of nearby Lake Pleasant called to me. Giving into temptation I made an unusually brave decision to venture out for a moonlit walk. And why not? Urging Gromit to stay quiet, I picked up his lead, and slipped out without waking the others, although judging by the amount of wine my sister and brother-in-law had put away I don’t think there was much chance of that. 



It was good to get out of the house, although the air hung heavy it was fresher close to the water. As I passed through the cluster of sleeping holiday homes, no signs of life, only the soothing click of crickets and the occasional flutter of bat acrobatics above. Darkness grew as the canopy of the wooded section of the path blocked out the moon. That's when it happened. I held my breath as I became aware of a second pair of feet crunching the gravel path behind me. I daren’t look. Eyes forward I shouted out for Gromit who was on the trail of a rabbit scent. Why didn’t I bring my phone? I love Gromit, but why didn’t I buy an Alsatian or a Rottweiler instead of a Heinz 57 terrier? I quickened my pace to emerge out of the woods, welcoming the brilliant moon illuminating the way, I strained to make out the flash of white and splash of pink as Gromit appeared out of the bushes ahead, ears pricked, tongue out, eyes sharp. 

‘Come here boy’ 

As Gromit ran towards me he barked wildly at the figure gaining on his owner. The bristly hackles divided his back, his chest puffed out and teeth on display. 

‘It’s ok boy’ I whisper, snapping on his lead, increasing my pace.  

The footsteps were gaining on me. This is it. I’m going to be brutally murdered, my family and friends will be devastated and Gromit will have to live with PTSD after seeing his owner mutilated and dumped in a lake. He may never swim again, an eternal fear of water, and perhaps even a fear of going out. Imagine that, a dog afraid to go for a walk. How tragic. The woody skeleton of the jetty came into view. Escape plans flash through my mind. If only I had kept the Krav Maga lessons up with Suzie, instead of flaking out after the second session. I’ve never been a sticker. I hop from one thing to the next, having a go, getting bored, moving on. Every inch of me wanted to run, as fast and far as I could but I was trapped, water ahead of me, impending threat behind me. I grabbed my keys as my feet left the chalky path and echoed on the wooden slats of the jetty. Stab, stamp, run. I ran the scenario through my mind. I would aim the key for the eye, stamp as hard as I could on his foot and run like hell. My hairs stood to attention as the footsteps behind stepped onto the jetty. I stop, legs trembling, breath held. The footsteps stop too. 

Then suddenly a voice cuts through the heavy air. 

‘Beautiful evening for a moonlit walk isn’t it.’ 

The voice was kind, reassuring and to my surprise, quite sexy.  

So what. Murderers can have friendly, sexy voices. I turn to face the figure. 


The light of the full moon cast a spotlight on the figure before me. I look into the eyes of my pursuer and see brilliant blue eyes smiling back at me. 

‘Sorry, I didn’t mean to scare you. I came for a dip, it’s too hot to sleep.’

My eyes leave his, taking in his warm smile, lingering awkwardly at his toned chest and shamefully staring at his impressive abs. I clock the swimming shorts and towel. He does look like he just popped down for a swim. I stand, I stare, I can’t seem to find any words. In seconds I had morphed from a quivering wreck, fearing for her life, to a dumb struck school girl meeting her first crush. I didn’t know whether to stab him in the eye with my keys or kiss him.

‘Oh, ok. Yes, it is hot isn’t it. I couldn’t sleep either.’ I said quickly, tearing my stare away from his half naked body and back up to those blue eyes.

He smiled back. 

‘And who is this?’ 

He crouched down next to Gromit who trotted forward, tail wagging, leaning into the ecstasy of the welcome ear scratch.

‘This is Gromit. And he doesn’t usually like strangers, you are very privileged.’

 ‘Hi little fella I’m James’ he cooed. 

Gromit licked his face. My dog has good taste. Well that’s settled it then, Gromit likes him, he must be ok. Unlike my ex who Gromit took an instant dislike to and drew blood on a number of occasions in addition to peeing in his shoes. 

‘I’m Sophie’ I say as he rises again, holding my gaze.

‘Pleased to meet you both. Are you coming for a dip?’

‘Er. No I think I will just dip my feet in’

I look down at my shorts and vest top. Could I? 

‘Well I’m getting in’ and with that he drops his towel, kicks off his trainers and performs a majestic dive off the end of the jetty. 

I remove my pumps and dangle my hot feet into the cool water, closing my eyes in pleasure.

‘Oh god that is so good’ I say as my head tips back with relief. I catch him staring and he turns to swim. I admire him effortlessly slicing through the still, moonlit surface of the lake. Gromit jumped in and swam in circles, tail half wagging, half steering before scrambling ashore on the nearby beach, running back and jumping in again. Splash, rinse, repeat.

James swam up to the jetty inches from my feet. 

‘Are you on holiday?’ He asks as he lifts his muscular arms and pulls himself out of the water.  

‘Yes. I’m here with my mum, sister and her husband. We used to come here every year for family holidays. It’s a year since we lost Dad so we thought it would be nice to come out to his favourite place in his honour.

‘Oh, I’m sorry about your Dad, that must be tough.’

I nod, eyes down, swallowing the hard lump in my throat. Time to change the subject.

‘How about you? Are you here on holiday?’

‘I’m here for a wedding. My best friend will be tying the knot tomorrow, I'm the best man. We rented the house over there. He points to a large wooden cabin in the distance, the garden and porch decorated with party lights.’

 ‘Oh, that's nice.’ 

My eyes drift down to the beads of water cascading down his chest. Is it me, or is it getting hotter?

‘Are you sure I can’t tempt you Sophie, it’s nice in here?’ He slips back into the water, splashing a wave high up my legs.

‘What the hell.’ I slip down catching my breath as my hot body hits the cool water below. 

‘You ok?’

‘Yes, I’m fine, just not a strong swimmer that's all.’

‘Don’t worry, we will look after you won’t we boy’ he grins at Gromit’s elated face as he makes another frenzied circle around us. 

I dip under the water to wet my hair, only to be pulled suddenly to the surface, his arms wrapped around me, our faces close. 

‘I’ve got you Sophie.’

I release a nervous chuckle. ‘I’m ok I was just getting my hair wet.’ 

He studies my face with a wide grin. 

‘I like your smile’ he says.

We lock eyes. I hardly know anything about this man, but it feels like there’s something between us. Is he going to kiss me? I want him to kiss me. But he breaks away with an embarrassed apology. We sit on the jetty, feet in the water, telling our stories, swapping history, hopes, and heartache. Our conversation flowed like a mountain stream, effortless, vibrant, comfortable. 

I try to hold back a yawn. He offers to walk me back. As we walk, we are close enough to feel the occasional brush of our arms against each other. I’m walking on air. 

We reached my chalet. ‘Thank you for walking me. You never know what kind of strange men are lurking around at night.’ I say with a smile.  

We chuckle. He steps closer. Our eyes lock, our mouths meet, his arms pull me closer. Heaven. 

I watch James as he walks away. He stops and looks back. We smile, we wave. We know we have something, a pull, an ease between us. I can’t sleep, but it’s not because of the heat. My heart flutters with excitement as I recall the last tantalising hours. Eventually, exhausted, I fall asleep. 


The next morning I make a full English breakfast, jigging around to the radio, despite my three hours or so of sleep, I feel energised. 

‘What’s got into you sis?’ Rebecca shields her eyes from the bright morning sunshine and turns down the volume on the radio. 

‘Can’t I make my lovely family a full English when we are on holiday?’ 

She looks at me suspiciously.

‘What?’ I demand as her eyes scan me for clues.

Mum walks in from her morning walk.

‘Morning girls. Another lovely day out there, it's going to be a hot one again.’ 

‘Mum. Sophie has either done something really bad or found something or someone really good.’ She raises her eyebrows at me with a cheeky grin.

I blush as I hear her final words.

‘Oh my god, you met someone. But how? Have you been dabbling online, Sophie?’

I told my story over breakfast, the fear, the curiosity, the delicious magnetism between us. They listened, they questioned, they were cautiously happy for me. 

‘Be careful sis check him out before you get hooked on this one. I don’t want you getting hurt…’

Rebecca is interrupted by a knock at the door. 

‘Stay!’ I snapped at them with a stern look.

I opened the door to see James standing in a crisp blue suit, hair slicked back his tanned skin against the bright white shirt. My heart danced again, I tried to stay cool. 

‘Morning. Hope you don’t mind me coming over, but I just wanted to say, I had fun last night.’

‘Me too.’ I smile.

He started looking awkward, his eyes wandered away. 

‘‘I realise we have only just met but I feel as though I’ve known you for years Sophie.’

I gush, my smile expands across my face and I nod.

‘Me too James.’

‘So I wondered if you weren’t busy, if you would be my plus one for the wedding today?’

My mouth opens to answer but he jumps in, ‘Sorry. I shouldn’t have asked. It’s too much isn’t it. Sorry, forget I asked.’

He turned but I grabbed his arm, swung him back around and held him in a kiss. We broke off as the ‘Oooh’ sounds drifted through the kitchen window. I shoot another warning look at our audience and they quickly retreat back to their breakfast.

‘So, that's my family James.’ 

He smiles. I will never tire of that smile. 


We went to his best friend’s wedding that day. It was one of the happiest days of my life. But not the happiest. That day came exactly three years later. Stood on the same wooden jetty vowing to love each other always, Gromit presenting the ring cushion on a hot summer's day by the lake. 














May 26, 2023 20:51

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Geet Saini
07:49 Jun 02, 2023

OMG I LOVEEEEE THIS WRITING!!!!!!!!!!!!! ^^ U

Reply

Kelly Jackson
14:38 Jun 02, 2023

Thank you Geet, I really appreciate your feedback. I nearly didn't submit this story as I wasn't at all happy with it. I'm out of my comfort zone in the romance genre.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.