0 comments

Fiction Contemporary Friendship

Sarah loved waking to bright sunny days. She couldn’t wait to go outside just to see the blue sky and green grass. Her favorite time of day was at noon. That was when it was all light and no shadows. 

Every morning she could hear the birds chirping. Seemed like everything was fresh and clean for the day. 

She felt if the day didn’t start this way it was very sad indeed. The worse thing that could happen would be if the sun was blocked out forever. 

Her normal routine after she woke was to call to her dog, Dolly. 

“Here Dolly.”

Dolly, a black and white border collie, ran into the room and jumped onto the bed.

While her dog licked her face, Sarah giggled. 

“You are so cute. I don’t know what I’d do without you. “

After getting up Sarah walked from her room to the kitchen. Dolly was always close behind her. 

“Hmm,” Sarah said and placed her finger on her lips. “Which do you this morning?”

Dolly looked up at her and barked. 

“You are right, chicken it is,” Sarah said and took down the can of dog food. She spooned out dolly’s food into a dish and set it on the floor. 

“Enjoy,” she said

“Now for my breakfast.”  She looked down at her dog. “What do you think? Eggs and toast?  Yeah me too.”

After breakfast, taking a shower, and getting dresses, etc Sarah

Got Dolly ready for a walk by putting her harness on.  Out the door they went. They walked down the street and cut over to an open field. Sarah took the harness off Dolly and let her run for a bit.  

“Ok little girl, come back. 

Dolly came bounding back. Sarah put the harness back on and they headed for home. 

Once inside the harness came off and Sarah got ready for work.  Just before she left she patted Dolly on the head. 

“I’ll see you tonight,” she said and walked out the door.

Sarah liked her job, but couldn’t wait to get home to Dolly and their evening routine. 

“Hi,  baby,” Sarah said when she entered the house. Dolly waged her tail and jumped on Sarah 

Dolly the followed Sarah into the the kitchen for her dinner. Once again Sarah opened a can of food and spooned it into her dogs dish. She then made her own dinner 

After dinner Sarah took Dolly for a quick walk around the house.  Back inside Dolly sat next to Sarah and they watched some T.v. 

“Ok, girl, that’s enough T.V. For one night let’s go to bed,” 

Every day was the same. The routine never varied. It was the perfect life for them both. 

One morning things changed drastically.  The sun sun wasn’t shining. Instead it was raining. Sarah frowned. She hated the rain. Instead of light it was dark and gloomy. 

“Come Dolly,”she said in a sad voice. However Dolly didn’t come.   This scared Sarah. She jumped out of bed and searched for her dog. 

She found her laying on the floor in front door. Dolly whined. 

“Are you in pain girl,” Sarah asked concerned. 

Sarah knelt down next to Dolly and touched her side. Dolly let out a Yelp. 

“I’m sorry girl, I didn’t mean to hurt you.”

Sarah went outside to her car and opened the back door. She then went back into the house, leaving the front door open. She ran into her bedroom and grabbed the blanket off the bed. Back in the living room, she wrapped the blanket around Dolly. She carefully lifted Dolly, took outside and placed her on the back seat of the car. 

After closing the car door and then the front doors she got in the  car and drove to the vets. 

“Don’t worry girl, you’re going to be just fine.”

They arrived at the vets and Sarah took her dog inside. The vet greeted them. She took Dolly from Sarah and took the dog to a back room. 

Sarah paced the waiting room. She was so scared. The vet came out. “Come into the room with me, I want to go over Dolly’s condition.”

Sarah followed the  vet fearing the worst.  Dolly lay on a table very still. Her eyes were closed and her breathing was shallow. 

Sarah stared at Dolly. She bit her lower lip to keep from crying. 

“Dolly is in very bad shape. She doesn’t have much to live for.”

Tears slid down Sarah’s face. She was afraid of what the vet was going to say next. 

The vet sighed. She hated giving this bad news. “I’m sorry but I recommend euthanasia.”

The whole thing seemed so unreal to Sarah. Yesterday the sun was shining and her dog was fine. Now it felt like her world was crashing down around her. She swallowed hard. Her voice quivered as she spoke. “Then do it,” she said softly. 

She gave Dolly a kiss on the top of her head. Good bye my girl.”

When it was over she ran to her car and got in. She leaned her head on the wheel and sobbed. 

She sat up and wiped the tears away with back of her hands. She started the car and headed for home. 

The rain came down in sheets. It was very difficult to see but Sarah kept driving. Suddenly a deer ran out in front of her. She slammed on  the brakes. The car skidded off the road and hit a tree. Sarah was thrown forward into the air bag.  

When she woke up she deduced she was in the hospital. She was sure her eyes were open but she couldn’t see.  Her world was enveloped in darkness. 

“How are you feeling?” A nurse asked. 

“I can’t see, Sarah said in a quivering voice. 

“You’ve been in a terrible accident,”the doctor said. 

Sarah burst into tears. Her dog was gone and now she was blind. What was she to do?  How could she live without light in her life?  The thought of never seeing the sunshine again made her cry harder. 

“It’s going to be all right,” the nurse said and gently squeezed the girl’s hand to comfort her. “We will teach you how to live as a blind person.”

Sarah shook her head. “No, I don’t want to live. I lost my dog and now my sight.”

“Don’t talk like that,” the doctor said. “Many people lead normal lives blind and you can too.”

Sarah let outa deep sigh. She wasn’t convinced but nodded her head. 

The  ruse wiped the tears off Sarah’s face with a Kleenex. “You will do fine,” she said in a confident voice. 

                                              …………

Sarah woke and could feel the sunshine on her face.

“Come here boy.” Sarah called out to her dog. 

Toby, a German shepherd, came running into her room. He barked so she would know he was there. 

“I know I am in darkness, but I can tell it is sunny out. You are my eyes, Toby. What do say we go for a walk after breakfast.”

Toby barked again as if in agreement

Life was back to a usual routine.

May 07, 2021 09:44

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.