From a child’s mind

Submitted into Contest #169 in response to: Write about someone finding a monster under their bed.... view prompt

0 comments

Bedtime Kids Funny

The ominous click of the door sealing shut was always the beginning. And Peyton hates it. This is when the monster comes Every night.   First, that creepy loud click; then the dark inky shadows creep closer and closer to his bed.  He jerked his soft blue flannel blanket over his head and squeezes his eyes tightly shut.

You are brave, Peyton. You are a big boy. There isn’t a big scary green monster with ugly spiky black hair and glowing yellow eyes under the bed. Daddy killed him when we first moved here’ Peyton quietly told himself as he repeats what his mommy and daddy told him the night before. And he did believe them, he really did! It was just so hard to remember mommy’s brave words when that door, that huge dark heavy door, closed, Peyton frustratedly thought to himself. 

He slowly lowered his blanket, which was currently also his impenetrable shield, so that his round deep brown eyes could peer into the solid darkness of the room. As his eyes slowly adjust , he watched the prismatic red, blue and green light shadows, from his cool new Halloween strobe light, dance across his walls. It was mommy’s idea to help him be a big boy and sleep in his own room at night. But he didn’t have too, he reminded himself emphatically.  if it is ever so scary that he can’t take it , then mommy said he can come in her room. Mommy said, he thought stubbornly to himself, as he let his small lower lip pout slightly.  Even if daddy was a big meanie and said ‘go back to your room Peyton. There isn’t a monster.’ Peyton mimicked as he scrunched his small face.  Mommy would let him, he proudly thought as he contemplated if he should head to mommy’s room. Yes!Yes he definitely needed to go to mommy’s  room, he thought as a small shiver ran down his spine.  He slowly lowered his protective blanket past the waist of his soft cotton Spider-Man pajamas and wiggled onto his belly to peer over the edge of his full sized bed, his soft brown curls tumbling onto  his forehead as his head hung over the edge.

Coast is clear.. I think .’ Peyton whispers as he tentatively lowered his small feet to the ground then paused cautiously to take another calculated look at his gigantic bedroom. The kaleidoscope of colors continue to make slow methodical circles around the room occasionally reflecting off the random shiny toy left on his floor. Then he saw it! The answer to his problem; HIS SPIDER-MAN stuffy! He squeals to himself!  It would protect him till he could make it to his mommies room. But he had to get to his Spider-Man and it is sitting next to his dresser across his room.  

Just great! ‘ Peyton groans as he realizes this monumental feat. This is going to require him to get onto the floor AND get to the dresser to get spidey BEFORE the stupid monster got his foot! It just wasn’t fair. Why wouldn’t mommy just leave the door open and the light on. 

Because you won’t go to bed my sweet boy’ Peyton mimics as he remembers what his mommy told him before she closed that huge door . 

Peyton glanced again at the lone Spider-Man toy and began to plan the safest path to the doll.  

‘First we will tippy toe walk VERY slowly,’ Peyton quietly instructs himself as he lets the kaleidoscope light illuminate his path, ‘to the dresser, pick up spidey, crawl over the basket of nerf guns, then run as fast as sonic the hedgehog to mommy’s bed.’  Peyton announces in an exciting whisper. 

I got this.’ Peyton grins to himself as he delicately begins tippy toeing the first part of his perilous journey. Another small shiver works its way down his narrow shoulder’s as the chill from the hardwood floors began seeping into his small bare feet. 

Just four more steps.’ He exclaims as spideys soft red and blue fabric attire draws nearer.  His small fingers swiftly secure the doll’s soft fabric arm and clutches the toy to his chest with a sign of relief.

Let’s get out of here spidey’ Peyton whispers as he begins tippy toeing towards his basket of nerf guns.

Just 4 more steps.. 1.. 2..3..4!’ Peyton meticulously counted the way him and daddy practiced earlier. 

We made it spidey!’ Peyton celebrates as his body performs his fortnight dance with fluent ease, ending with an elaborate ‘dab’.  His small face crumbles into a fit of giggles as his slight frame doubled over in laughter.

Once composing himself, And feeling quite confident since making it this far successfully, Peyton proceeded to gently place one foot solidly on top of his basket of guns followed by the next foot; each gingerly progressing him to his destination, the door. One hand firmly pressed against the wall and the other hand perilously clutches Spider-Man’s arm as his feet inch forward. 

Suddenly there is a low whining groan followed by the collapse of the nerf gun pile.  A startled gasp barely escapes his mouth before Peyton tumbles off the top of the nerf guns and lands sprawling out on his hardwood floor. Every muscle in his tiny body froze as he realizes where he is and how perilous his situation was.

‘Don’t panic spidey. We are ok.’ Peyton assesses as his tiny hand feels along the grooved wooden floor to find his toy. Once he felt the reassuring soft fabric of Spider-Man’s arm, he looks around to see what his next move is. As his curious brown eyes look around, he discovers that his situation has gotten worse.

This is bad spidey. So so bad.’ Peyton whispers in horror as he looks at his right bare foot that is millimeters from black spikey hair poking out from under the bed. 

RUN SPIDEY!!’ Peyton screams as he channels his inner sonic the hedgehog and races to his mommy’s bedroom.  With one swift turn of the cold brass knob, a strategic jump into mommy and daddy’s huge king size bed and heavy sigh of relief; he is finally safe.

We made it spidey.’ Peyton smiles to himself as he cuddles into his mommy’s warm soft back.

Peyton.’ Daddy says in that unpropitious tone that Peyton dreads. 

ITS A MONSTER DADDY !’ Peyton passionately explains.

Then let’s go check so you can go back to your bed.’ Daddy logically decides 

Ugggggghh’  Peyton groans emphatically as Daddy lets him climb onto his back for a piggy back ride to Peyton’s room. 

Where is this monster Peyton’ Daddy asks sympathetically.

‘ under the bed .’ Peyton answers matter of factly.

Then let’s check it out.’ Daddy encourages softly as he turn the smooth brass knob and flicks on the light illuminating all of Peyton’s superhero wall decor; Spider-Man posters, Hulk figurines, Captain America plaques , sonic the hedgehog fat head poster; all of Peyton’s favorite heroes. 

Let’s look under this bed buddy.’  Daddy reassures as he ruffles Peyton’s soft curly hair.

the pair both squat down to their hands and knees and peer expectantly under Peyton’s bed.

Be brave Daddy. We got this.’ Peyton stoically nodded as he firmly grips Daddy’s warm hand.

We got this Son’ Daddy warmly confirms as they both lower their heads and discover the monster under the bed.

ITS MY HULK STUFFY!’ Peyton squeals as he burst into uncontrollable giggles.

October 28, 2022 01:45

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.