Ordinarily Extraordinary

Submitted into Contest #29 in response to: Write a story about someone discovering something new about themselves. ... view prompt

2 comments

General

 Benedict Meyer was an ordinary little girl. Well, mostly ordinary. She was ordinary height, ordinary weight, ordinary brown hair, ordinary hazel eyes, just ordinary Benedict. The one thing about Benedict that was unusual was the fact that she was five, but still couldn’t speak, or some would say, wouldn’t. Benedict understood everything going on around her, she knew perfectly well how to speak, she just never had the desire to do so.

Benedict had never had a father, he had left when he found out her mother was pregnant. Benedict’s mother’s name was Heide, and Heide loved her very much. Heide was afraid to send Benedict to school, so she had a private tutor, that also served as a babysitter.

Benedict loved the babysitter very much and her name was Khloe. Khloe loved Benedict just as much. On one particularly rainy afternoon, Khloe and Benedict were practicing spelling. Benedict was just where an ordinary five year old would be in spelling at this point in the year. 

After they finished the day’s lessons, Khloe decided it would be fun to have a dance party. A song that Benedict had a strong love for, Hey Jude by The Beatles came on. The lyrics go like this.

               Hey Jude, don’t make it bad,

                                 Take a sad song and make it better,

                                 Remember to let her into your heart,

                                 Then you can start to make it better

 

The most miraculous thing happened. Benedict sang along. Khloe was so happy she squealed, like any 21 year old girl would when they get really excited. She called Heide, who came home right away. Benedict didn’t understand why everyone was making such a fuss. She did understand, though, that she liked to sing. So that’s what she said next. “I like to sing.” “Well, you can sing all you like, Lil’ Miss!” Khloe replied cheerfully.

Benedict just skipped around the house singing, because it made her so joyful. “ You have such a beautiful voice, Bennie. Really extraordinary,” Khloe said, out of the blue,” You could win competitions!” Benedict just shrugged and kept on singing.

It was at this point that Heide walked in. “My baby! Oh, my sweet baby girl! I love you, Benedict! I love you so much!” She engulfed Benedict in a humongous hug. “ Love you too, Mommy!” ”Oh, Momma? I really like singing!” Benedict smiled proudly at her mother, whose beaming smile was just as big. “Well, sing for me then, Benedict Grace!” 

Benedict began singing Somewhere Over The Rainbow, another of her favorites. Heide picked her up and spun her around. “You sing so beautifully, Bennie! Oh, I am so glad you’re talking now!” Heide beamed. “ Mommy, Khloe said something about singing competitions earlier. Can I do one of those, they sound like so much fun!” asked Benedict. “Of course, Bennie! Matter of fact, I think that’s a great idea! And Khloe could help you practice!’ she exclaimed, winking at Khloe, who smiled back.

The next morning, Benedict was signed up for a local talent show with a prize of $50. “Start small. Dream big!” Heide teased, giving Benedict a quick peck on the cheek. She had decided to sing Have It All by Jason Mraz. The talent show was in two weeks, so she had plenty of time to practice. She practiced and practiced, hours at a time, Khloe and Heide always beaming with pride. Benedict was very confident when the morning of the talent show came around, donning her favorite black and white polka dot tee and a black skirt. Heide pulled her hair back into two french braids, each tied with a black ribbon at the end, just for fun.

On the car ride there, everyone was brimming with excitement and anticipation. The talent show had a larger turnout than expected with around 750 people in the crowd. Benedict knew she didn’t really care if she won or not, she was just doing it for fun, so she wasn’t nervous. She had made up a cute little routine to do while she was singing, because who doesn’t love a cute little five year old singing and dancing?

When they arrived, Mr. Jacob, the person in charge of the talent show, informed them that Benedict was performing last. Sitting themselves in the front row, as they arrived a bit early, Benedict just couldn’t hold in her excitement. She let out a little squeal, which drew laughter from Heide and Khloe. Khloe let out a squeal, then Heide, and they all had a good laughing fit. Luckily, they were able to calm themselves down by the time the first act began.

There were so many amazing acts, Benedict decided she would have been just as pleased if she had only come to watch, not perform. There were other singers, dancers, magicians, comedians, and even dog trainers doing tricks with cute little puppies! 

When Mr. Jacob called her backstage, she realized she was sweating, and laughed at herself for being nervous. When the act right before her walked off stage, smiling, Mr. Jacob walked on to introduce her. “ Our final act of the morning is five year old Ms. Benedict Meyer, singing Have It All By Jason Mraz! Let’s give her a hand!” With everyone clapping, she walked on stage.

The music began playing, she started her routine, and even managed to coax a few tears out of Khloe and Heide. Her routine went perfectly and she walked off stage to a smiling Heide and crying Khloe. She was praised, hugged, and even pecked on the cheek a few times. 

While the judges decided who won, Benedict set herself up for failure. She was proud of herself, but she had some tough competition.There was the dancer who did back flips across the whole stage (Benedict had to admit, she was pretty impressed), the magician who pulled a carrot out of his mouth, then somehow turned it into a rabbit ( Benedict, again, was in awe), and so many more.

When the judges announced that they had decided who won, all twenty-seven contestants lined up on the stage. One judge, a short lady with shoulder-length black hair, held an envelope. While Benedict was busy pondering why they would need an envelope to announce the winner, the judge made a long, sappy speech about how everyone had done an amazing job, bla bla bla.

Slowly. She unsealed the envelope. She opened it, pulled out the paper, and read,” And the winner of the 2020 Thrilling Talent Show is……………. Irene Browning!” Benedict grinned from ear to ear, as Irene, clearly shocked, walked up to the microphone. “ I- uh- I just want to say… Thanks... To… uh… my family and… uhh yeah...” She backed away from the mic, bright red from embarrassment, and took her place in line again. The judge finished up by saying, “ I just want to thank you all for coming out today, and would like to invite you all back next year! Have a great day!”

Benedict skipped offstage to Heide and Khloe, gave them a big hug and asked, “ May I please do it again next year?” Heide grinned, replying,” Hmm… Maybe…Since you would have to miss a WHOLE ‘nother day of school, I guess so, but on one condition.” she smirked,” Tell me what you’ve learned.” Benedict grinned replying,” I was born to sing.”



February 22, 2020 03:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Nicholas Brown
17:41 Apr 13, 2022

"I should just close my tab" is the worst statement to make while reading this, This story hooked me in it didnt

Reply

Charles _
17:42 Apr 13, 2022

ur mom

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.