The Architect in the Shadows

Submitted into Contest #263 in response to: Write a story from the antagonist’s point of view.... view prompt

6 comments

Fiction Crime

The city of Morwenna sprawled beneath a twilight sky, its buildings huddled together like conspirators beneath a cloak of perpetual dusk. Somewhere amidst the labyrinth of alleyways and towering structures, Marcellus Draegan watched over his domain. His heart pulsed with an energy that few could understand, a relentless drive that had pushed him to where he was now: the most feared and respected man in the underworld.

He had been called many things—monster, tyrant, villain—but those words were whispered by the weak, the unworthy. To Marcellus, he was something more—a necessary force, a guardian of order in a world that teetered on the edge of chaos.

Marcellus hadn't always been this way. He was once a boy with dreams, a young man with hopes, but life had stripped those away, layer by layer, until only the cold, hard core remained. He could still remember the day he learned the truth of power: it wasn’t given; it was taken. And those who refused to take it were doomed to be crushed by those who did.

He had been sixteen when his father died, leaving him and his mother to fend for themselves in a city that preyed on the vulnerable. His father had been a man of integrity, a man who believed in the law and in justice. He was a fool. Marcellus saw how the world had repaid his father’s honesty—with a bullet in his back and his name forgotten. The law had done nothing, and justice had been absent. So Marcellus had sworn that day to never be weak, to never allow the world to dictate his fate.

The first time he killed, it was for survival. The second time, it was for revenge. The third time, it was for power. And with each death, he felt himself growing stronger, more in control, more certain of his path. Morwenna was a city of shadows, and he would be its architect.

Now, as he stood in his office, high above the streets, Marcellus considered the latest threat to his empire. A rival gang, led by a man named Lorcan, had been encroaching on his territory. Lorcan was ambitious, reckless, and dangerous—a man who fancied himself a king in a city with only one throne.

Marcellus turned away from the window, his mind calculating the steps ahead. Lorcan was a problem, yes, but he was also an opportunity. A chance to remind the city who truly ruled its dark heart.

He walked to his desk, where a map of the city lay spread out. Red circles marked areas of interest, key locations that would determine the balance of power. Marcellus traced a finger along the map, his thoughts drifting to the people who inhabited the city—those who lived their lives in ignorance of the machinations that controlled their fates. They were sheep, content to graze while wolves prowled the edges of their world. He would not let Morwenna fall into the hands of another wolf.

Marcellus picked up a phone and dialed a number. A voice answered on the other end, and he gave his orders in a calm, measured tone. “I want Lorcan’s operations shut down by the end of the week. Leave nothing standing. And when you’re done, bring him to me.”

As he hung up, Marcellus felt a familiar sense of satisfaction. Control. That was what mattered. He had built his empire on it, and he would die before he let it slip away. But control came at a price, and Marcellus knew all too well that the cost was often paid in blood.

His thoughts turned to his mother, the woman who had raised him after his father’s death. She had been strong in her own way, but she had never understood him, never accepted what he had become. She wanted a son who followed the rules. One who lived a life of quiet dignity. Marcellus had tried, for a time, to be that man, but the world had other plans. He remembered the disappointment in her eyes, the way she had looked at him as if he were a stranger.

When she died, it was with that same look in her eyes, and Marcellus had buried her with the knowledge that she would never have accepted his choices. But he did not regret them. Regret was for the weak, and Marcellus had no room for weakness in his life.

A knock at the door interrupted his thoughts. His right-hand man, Viktor, entered, his face a mask of grim professionalism. “Lorcan’s people are pushing back,” Viktor said. “They’ve taken two of our warehouses on the east side.”

Marcellus nodded, his mind already processing the information. “And Lorcan himself?”

“Still in hiding, but we’re close. He won’t escape.”

“Good,” Marcellus replied, his voice as cold as the night outside. “Make sure the warehouses are reclaimed. I want to send a message.”

Viktor nodded and left the room, leaving Marcellus alone once more. The game was in motion, and Marcellus knew that there could only be one outcome. Either Lorcan would fall, or he would. But Marcellus had never been one to lose.

The night passed in a blur of reports, orders, and strategic decisions. Marcellus was tireless, driven by a force that seemed to burn within him, pushing him to be better, smarter, more ruthless than his enemies. By dawn, the city had shifted under his command, and Lorcan’s empire was crumbling.

Marcellus stood in the ruins of one of the warehouses that had been retaken. The air was thick with the scent of smoke and blood, and the bodies of Lorcan’s men lay scattered around him. It was a scene of victory, but Marcellus felt no joy, only a deep, abiding sense of purpose. This was the cost of power, and he was willing to pay it.

Viktor approached, dragging a battered and bloodied Lorcan behind him. The man’s once-proud face was a mask of pain and fear, and Marcellus felt a flicker of satisfaction. This was the moment he had been waiting for.

“Marcellus,” Lorcan croaked, his voice barely a whisper. “You don’t have to do this. We can work together, split the city between us.”

Marcellus looked down at him, his expression unreadable. “There is no ‘we,’ Lorcan. There’s only one king in Morwenna, and it’s not you.”

Lorcan’s eyes filled with desperation as he realized there would be no mercy. “You’re a monster,” he spat, his voice shaking.

Marcellus knelt down, his gaze piercing into Lorcan’s. “I’m what this city needs. I’m the one who keeps it from falling into chaos. You were too weak to understand that.”

Without another word, Marcellus drew his knife and ended Lorcan’s life with a swift, practiced motion. He stood up, wiping the blade clean, and handed it to Viktor.

“Dispose of him,” he said, his voice cold and detached. “And make sure everyone knows what happens when they challenge me.”

Viktor nodded and set to work, while Marcellus walked out of the warehouse and into the dawn. The city was waking up, its people oblivious to the battles fought in the shadows. They would go about their lives, unaware of the blood spilled to keep their world intact.

As Marcellus returned to his headquarters, he felt a sense of calm settle over him. Lorcan was gone, and his power was secure—for now. But Marcellus knew that there would always be another challenge, another threat to his control. And he would face them all, with the same ruthless determination that had brought him this far.

He looked out over the city, his city, and allowed himself a small, satisfied smile. He was the architect of Morwenna’s shadows, the one who kept the darkness in check. They could call him a villain if they wished, but Marcellus knew the truth.

He was the necessary evil, the one who ensured that order prevailed in a world that would otherwise descend into chaos. And for that, he had no regrets.

Cheryl Martin

August 13, 2024 16:45

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

6 comments

04:03 Aug 30, 2024

I'm going to loop back around and comment again but I just had to stop and say ohhh my god your first paragraph shook me to my core. Gorgeous imagery. It painted such a strong image that honestly startled me.

Reply

04:20 Aug 30, 2024

Marcellus' detachment to his inner self is so interesting. I barely know anything about him, but he feels so concrete, and you've made me interested to know what his most intimate relationships are like -- or if he has none, is there ever any craving for connection, or is he content to die alone? I want to say here, I do *not* need an answer to these questions right now, but rather, the arising of the questions themselves speaks to how strong your characterization is. Beautiful work.

Reply

Cheryl Martin
22:02 Sep 05, 2024

Thank you for commenting on my story. I certainly appreciate that you took the time to write your opinion!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Cheryl Martin
22:02 Sep 05, 2024

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!! That's quite the compliment!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
John K Adams
21:19 Aug 22, 2024

This compelling portrait of one who craves power at all costs because his vision of order can be the only one, sounds like many people throughout history. You capture that sensibility with no false notes. All I can say is - excellent! I will read your other stories with pleasure.

Reply

Cheryl Martin
22:04 Sep 05, 2024

Wow, thank you. I can't say enough how much I appreciate your thoughtful words!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.