2 comments

Drama Fiction Contemporary

It's time to cut ties with a family member:

Dave just came from the office with a worried face. After coming home, he put his bag and car’s keys on the side table and moved his eyes around the corner and sat silently. Blank face, sunken eyes, bluish lips with loose shirt-pants. The house was so soundless that he was feeling only the lil ringing ears. His wife Maggie headed to the living room with rush behaviour, and saw her husband, taking a sighed relief. She didn’t expect that he would come so early. 


“Hey”, she says.

“Hi, I feel so exhausted.” Dave continued with grinding his teeths.

“Okk, get down, let's take a walk.” she consoling him.


He used to walk with his wife in the park, which is beside the apartments. He is continuously walking around the building without saying a single word. He used to travel at least 15 miles daily from house to office and office to house. So, his legs froze at one place and sat on the park chair. His wife just stood beside him and asked him peacefully, “Is something bothering you or anything happened in the office today.”


Dave blew raspberry with frustration. “No, nothing happened in the office. Today I got the call from my mom, she was so annoyed with all the house politics. My uncle wants to get back that house now, as we are not living in our hometown.”

Maggie sat beside him and leaned her head on his shoulder. Dave and Maggie were finding solutions to get out of the situation. Maggie was totally in a dilemma how anyone can snatch their own thing like such mysterious ways.


“I don't understand why your uncle is snatching your house, that is your house.” she questioned hesitantly. Dave never told her about the past things that happened to them.

If you don't want to tell me, then it's ok.” she added.


“No.No.. you can ask, you have the rights. Actually that house is not ours, but my uncle gave us and said “ you guys can live in this house for your whole life.” And they handed over all the documents to my parents but not legally. Here my father made a mistake. He didn't know that his brother would betray him in future. Now he wants back, today the time came with the same fear.” Dave explained.

Maggie was shocked, numbed and she started wandering around. She was continuously staring at Dave, trying to understand him. Dave was checking and rounding his fingers on the mobile.


“Now what”, she asked suspiciously. She was having so many questions in her mind, keeping future insecurities.

“Means?”Dave questions.

“Oh! Dad has been facing health problems for the last 6 months. So, I decided to live with us.” Dave added.

Maggie scratches her head with tons of confusions in her mind. “Let’s go, have dinner, then discuss.”

“Hmmm” said Dave.

Dave and Maggie get away from the seat and headed to the lift. Lift comes, both gets inside and stands with support from the handle. After reaching the 5th floor both get out of the lift and Dave checks his mail boxes which are beside the entrance door. Maggie gets inside and Dave follows her.

Dave called his Dad, while serving his dinner.

“Hey dad! How are you?” Dave called.

“Not ok! Me and your Mom are coming tomorrow morning. Then we'll talk.” replied Dad.

Ok, fine!


Dave puts the phone on the table and starts eating his dinner. Maggie washes all the utensils and cleans the kitchen. Maggie was eagerly waiting for tomorrow, she was completely unknown, suddenly what happened, that her in-laws need to come.  


second day, 

Ting Tong

It is 6a.m in the morning, the doorbell rings.


The second ring and she is up on her feet,

Ting Tong, Ting Tong.


Eyes half shut, she reaches out for the door, she opens the door, and sees her in-laws standing in front of her. She greets them and asks them to come inside. 

 “Good Morning! Mom, Dad” Maggie chuckled.

“No problem, I will put your luggage,” she added.


They both sit in the living room with relief. Dave also came in the meantime. They get fresh while Maggie prepares the breakfast for everyone.


“Here are your medicines, please have it on time” Mom requested.

Dave asked frequently, “what is the situation of your health.”

It is ok son, Dad replied instantly.

But Dave was not satisfied with his dad’s reply.

“No, it’s not normal.” Mom interrupted.

“Doctor is very uncertain about his disease. 2 days back he vomited with blood” She added in tense.

“What??” Dave shouts.


Suddenly Dave lifts his phone and takes the appointment of the doctor. Maggie can see Dave 's tense face.


“Hi.. Dave this side. I need the appointment for my father. Yes! We will be there at 1 p.m.” thankyou!


They finish their breakfast together. After that Dave leaves for his office.

“Ok.. Mom! See you..” Dave acknowledges.

Bye Bye dear!!” Mom replied.


Third Day, “Dad please get ready, we have an appointment with the doctor today. We need to reach there by 11 a.m.” Dave commanded.

“And what about your office,” Maggie interrupted.


“Already took one day leave,” Dave replied.


Meanwhile Dave and his dad get ready, have breakfast, take the keys and head towards the door. Both get inside the car and drive to the hospital. After reaching the hospital, Dave checked with the doctor and asked to get him admitted.


This was a really tense situation for Dave. He was unable to understand, what’s happening to him? At the same time, his dad got out more blood splashed on the floor, whole body blued and fainted. 


“DAD!!! Oh no! Doctor please do something”, Dave requested with pain. Same moment, his dad got admitted. The boywards brings the stretcher, lifts his dad and lies down the stecher. 



He informed his home and asked Maggie to take care of Mom. After half an hour examination, the ward boy takes out dad's stretcher. He unables to understand, stands numb, shocked with teary eyes. He rechecked the doctor’s report, which mentioned the critical stage of disease. But this exactly happened with brain stroke.


Dave questioned himself, “How is this possible??”

“Suddenly, Brain stroke, I am not getting it doctor?” Dave questioned and cried.


“This is only because of long term stress and tensions, he was unable to tolerate.” The doctor sympathizes.


Dave sits near the chair with a teary and moaned face. Slowly he takes out the phone and calls Maggie.


Ring, Ring, Ring…


“Hey, what happened, how is Dad?” Maggie questioned. Maggie picks the call.

“Maggie… Da da.. .” Dave paused and cried.


“Dave, why are you crying.. Is Dad ok?” Maggie questioned in tension. In the meantime Mom also comes near to Maggie. Maggie just passed the fake smile to Mom.


“He is no more Maggie.” Dad screamed.


“What???” How?” Maggie panted.


Dave comes to home with Dad’s body and starts all the rituals. Dave’s mom just screams to see the body and shouts with a shattered voice, “They killed my love, my husband only just because of the little piece of land.


Dave cries and sympathies to his mom. All the relatives also come to Dave's place for condolences. At the same time his uncle also comes and sits near Dave, puts the hand on his shoulder and gives him condolence. Dave moves his eyesight and removes his hand with a jerk from the shoulder. 


He just wanted to kick him off from the house. But he couldn’t do it only because of other outsiders present there. Dave and his family were in deep silence without saying anything.


After finishing the funeral process all the guests were leaving the place except his uncle. 


“Why is he here??” ,Dave’s mom asked Dave in pain.

While at a time his uncle comes near Dave and asks for land negotiations, “Dave, I just want to ask you that..when will you give the keys to us.”

Dave and his mom are just shocked to listen to this, but he silently says,


“Uncle, I want to buy that land, do you aggrees? Dad put his whole life effort in that house and maintained till today. My mom and dad want that place for their memories.”


“What will you do with that land, you guys going to live here in the city for your whole life. Sorry dear, I can’t do this.”


At the same time Dave disappeared in weaving thoughts that how can any one do this to his own brother, own blood. Maybe this is the lifetime experience I face and will never forget.


After that, Dave files the case on his uncle and gets his shares, and gets his Dad’s house keys. 


Dave cuts all his ties from his uncle and his family after all scenarios. This was apathetic experience for Dave and betrays blood relation for his father.

February 04, 2021 00:32

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Zavier Watt
00:04 Feb 11, 2021

Hi Jyoti, the story was a little hard to follow. I would definitely suggest proofreading every once in awhile during the writing process or at least once at the end. It can be painstaking but it can help bring out the full potential of your story because I liked the overall idea. Good work.

Reply

Jyoti Vishnoi
18:19 Feb 11, 2021

Thanks for suggestion! It’s really helps.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.