3 comments

Funny Horror

Selfie! Snap. Post.

I am in love, although I won’t tell him that in the Meet and Greet! Too much, too soon.

I still can’t quite believe I get to sit down with him, one on one, and just, like, chat. There he is on stage singing “Hold Me Close” (which just happens to be my favourite), shirt open like he does and that body. OMG that body! When he does that curl kind of thing and you see his abs shining and moving; how can anyone keep themselves calm and not feeling anything when he does that? I’ll feel more when he actually holds ME close!

Selfie! Snap. Post.

Two likes.

Yeah bitches, that’s me in the VIP area watching ReCon do his thing before, bitches, I go backstage and meet and greet him. Who knows – there may be a bit more than meeting and greeting if I play my cards right! He’s taken his shirt full off!

Selfie! Snap. Post.

Five likes.

Love the bass. It kind of pulses like his hips. Boom, boom, boom. Thrust, thrust, thrust. I can feel the bass through the metal balcony as I lean out over the regular people below, hoping that those basic bitches are in the heaving crowd somewhere, that they glance up to see who is in the VIP area, that their basic bitch mouths drop open when they see ME leaning out, thrusting against the metal balcony in time with ReCon. Before my meet and greet.

Selfie. Snap. Post.

OMG. Ten likes!

Someone takes the empty glass from my hand and instantly there is another one there. Never tried champagne before and I like it.

Shot of stage with champagne in foreground. Snap. Post.

Fifteen likes. Is that viral? Maybe not yet.

OMG “Losing You”, another favourite. It’s ok ReCon, you won’t be losing me tonight! Wonder if he’ll keep shirtless for the Meet and Greet. Wonder if he’ll let me touch him. Let me selfie me touching him. One for the basic bitches, ha! None of them follow me but this shit’ll go viral once I’m backstage and then Monday in school is going to be the best. I’m going to walk right past them while their basic mouths drop open and I think “Yeah bitches, that was me”. I might glance at them for a moment before laughing like they’re stupid and walking on without looking back at them. Lovely to do it that way round for once.  I won’t be salty and do what they do to me. Worse than that, I will give them sympathy for being delulu and basic. I’ll get my new followers to give them sympathy too. Can’t wait to see them rejected by everyone else who will be wanting to know me and how things are going with ReCon. Of course, I will be calling him Ray by then but only between us. They’ll all have to keep calling him ReCon.

Final selfie from here. Snap. Post.

Twenty-three likes! If that isn’t viral I don’t know what is!

Can’t really complain about missing “I’ll Make You Part of Me” as his encore if it means I am headed backstage to meet him right as he comes off. The bass is all I feel now going through the tunnel at the side to backstage. Bouncers and security nodding to each other as they lead me through. Big guy in front of me laughs when I scream at the confetti cannons banging off right beside me. I laugh too. He says it’s ok to selfie from the side of the stage. OMG! ReCon is right there! I mean within twelve feet of right there.

Side of stage selfie, ReCon in background. Snap. No signal. Post later.

God it’s calm back here. You wouldn’t know there was a concert with the world’s biggest star going on so close by unless you really listened hard over the thrum, thrum, thrum of the bass. This isn’t his dressing room because that’s like totally private and we haven’t even meeted and greeted yet so I can’t go in there. Yet. Maybe later. No, this is like the sitting room attached to his dressing room, black walls, black furniture. The sound is down on the screen on the wall but it’s showing what is happening right now on stage. He’s finished, he’s blowing kisses, he’s laughing, he’s waving, he’s walking off.

Selfie, screen behind. Snap. Post later.

Probably over one thousand likes by now. Never been viral before. Wish there was a signal but it must be for security reasons.

Stare at the screen. He’s walking off, he’s coming this way, he’s going to Meet and Greet me! Stay calm. Don’t giggle. Be chill. Just vibing. Big guy sticks his head round the door and smiles. He asks me if I am ready. I look around the room. Empty save for chill ole me. I thought there’d be other people Meeting and Greeting. Big guy laughs and, with me not needing to say anything, knows what I am thinking and he says, “Yeah, just the two of you.” His head goes back out, there’s a moment when I am waiting to wake up like this has all been some silly dream but then the door opens fully and ReCon walks in. Still no shirt, can’t believe it. Might ask for that towel that is absorbing all that sweet ReCon sweat as he runs it over his fit muscles. He exhales, turns to big guy, nods, door closes and it’s just him and me. I realise I am still sitting. Very rude. I stand, throw my arms out to the side and say “Hiya!”

“Selfie?” he says. “Well, duh!” I giggle. His arm is around me.

Selfie. Snap. Post later. Live in the moment. Second snap just in case.

If those bitches could see me now! What do I mean?! They will see me. Not now but just as soon as I get a signal back. Yeah, bitches! Think I’m going to melt. He just pecked me on the cheek before he stepped over to the glasses and bottle on the side. I didn’t even see them. I giggle as I nod to let him know, while I am finding it hard to breathe, let alone speak, that yes, I would like some champagne, thank you very much. He hasn’t even finished patting the sofa beside where he has flopped onto it before I, giggling again, flop down beside him, his arm going round me again. I can smell him I am so close as I lean my head on his shoulder. “Cheers” he whispers as our glasses chime off each other. “Can I?” I whisper, holding up my phone. He smiles and nods and we both raise our glasses towards the selfie.

Selfie. Snap. Post later.

Yeah bitches, that is me snuggling down and dirty with ReCon. How d’ya like them apples? Crafty glance at his hot bod as I put my phone down. Never noticed the scar down his side. Maybe they photoshop it out. Should I ask how he got it? Something heroic or dangerous most probably. Or gangster.  No time like the present. “What’s this?” I ask, my finger pointing at the smooth, dark line that runs down his glistening side to his hips. “What’s this?” he repeats as he reaches across, takes my pointing hand and places it at the top of the scar. I run my finger down his side. He as good as asked me to, putting my hand there.

I. Am. Touching. ReCon.

“Lips,” he says. The scar widens and my finger goes into his side, just beneath his ribs. “What?” I say, my default giggle surfacing. My finger is being pulled in until my knuckles meet his skin. “Lips,” he says again as my whole hand slides into him. I pull back but my hand won’t move. I laugh now, the giggle not enough to mask my concern. “That’s a great trick.” I pull my hand but it won’t budge. He is still smiling at me. He takes a deep breath in and, as the sweat-slicked muscles of his perfectly formed chest tighten, my arm slides in through the scar on his side. I try to pull back again but my arm won’t come out. My bum slides across the black leather of the sofa as he breathes in again and I am pulled towards him on my side, my shoulder touching his ribs with the rest of my arm inside him. It can’t be. A huge, black tongue winds out of the scar, over my shoulder and around my neck. A smell like the bins behind the canteen at school fills my nose. I hear my glass drop onto the floor on the other side and smash. My cheek is against his body now, the black tongue scratching my neck. The scar opens wide and I see black, pointed teeth covered in some kind of slime. I can’t see my arm beyond the elbow. I can’t feel my hand and forearm wrapped in the darkness within him. His hand strokes my hair and he thanks me as I am sucked into him and feel no more.

***

The pictures from the concert that she posted garner more likes than the girl has ever had before, but they don’t go viral.

When the police widen their search, first to neighbouring counties and then nationwide, the number of likes and shares begin to climb, but not enough to be described as viral.

As soon as the Prime Minister makes mention of the missing girl, parents and schools begin lecturing their children about online safety. Again. But the pictures? Popular, but still not viral.

Pop Megastar ReCon shares a tear-streaked appeal for any information about the girl’s whereabouts.  Her pictures go viral.

Millions of likes. Millions of shares.

Everyone wants to see the girl who disappeared.

April 05, 2024 17:44

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Timothy Rennels
15:51 Apr 09, 2024

A powerful statement about unbridled adoration and our digital age. Welcome to Reedsy!

Reply

Jonathan Todd
11:28 Apr 19, 2024

Thank you Timothy - I am loving Reedsy!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
04:03 Apr 11, 2024

Seriously creepy! Too many live not for the moment, but for the moments to come where they believe they will be famous. All because they click and share. Horrible fate. Welcome to Reedsy. Your first offering was gripping. All the best.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.