2 comments

General

My alarm clock rings and I open my eyes one at a time, squinting against the light that is filtering through the blinds on my bedroom window. Today is the day! 


 Carefully, I try to extricate my legs from under the covers without disturbing my sleeping cat, but I fail, and the cat stands up, stretches, and yawns at me before flopping back down and rolling over to have his tummy rubbed. I oblige him, thinking that I probably enjoy giving him his tummy rubs almost as much as he enjoys receiving them. I feel his soft purring beneath his silky soft fur and he pulls my hand closer to him with one lazy outstretched paw. 


 After a few moments of cat affection, I slip on a pair of socks to combat the cold floor and make my way to the bathroom. I have a quick shower, and when I emerge a little while later and check my phone, yes, the calendar confirms; Today is the day.


 Dressing quickly, with sleepy feline eyes still watching me, I make the bed and head to the kitchen.


 "Come on then. Breakfast time." I summon the cat. He stretches again and hops off the bed, padding past me down the hall and straight to his food dish. I pick up his dish and get a tin out of the cupboard. Rinse the dish. Dry the dish. Open the tin as the cat makes furry figure eights around my legs, trying to make me hurry up, but tripping me instead. 


 My other cat, the female, trots into the kitchen and begins telling me a story about how she hasn't been fed in three hundred and twenty-seven days, but I am not buying it, because I distinctly remember feeding both of them a snack at midnight, so they would let me sleep through the night. My girl cat likes to lie. I put her bowl down in the kitchen and look at the male, bringing his dish into the living room with me.


 Finally, I put his breakfast down and sit to watch as he nibbles at it with typical cat indifference. The cat likes my company while he eats. If I were to get a cup of tea, he would wander off and his breakfast would dry out. I glance at the clock on the wall, because today is the day!


 In due time, the cat wanders off, licking his lips, and he goes back to bed. The other cat approaches his leftover food, so I pick it up and convince her to change her mind about having two breakfasts. She is in shape. Round is a shape. She really doesn't need two breakfasts. 


 I get up, put his food dish on the counter, and decide on a bottle of VitaminWater instead of tea or coffee. Looking out the window, I look both ways down our street as I open the water bottle and take a long sip. 


 Toast sounds good, and won't take too long to make, so I toss a couple of slices of bread into the toaster oven and set it to toast lightly. I sip my water and gaze out the window as my bread cooks, and then I get my plate and knife and butter ready. 


 The bell rings and my golden-brown toast is ready, so I turn off the toaster oven, and butter my toast, cutting it in half; diagonally, because it 'tastes better' that way... and I take it to the sofa to eat it in front of the TV. I remember the cat's food so I go and bring it back to the living room where I can keep an eye on it. My female is a ninja and likes to steal his food when I am distracted or turn away for a mere moment. I think that the two cats might have an agreement regarding food-sharing, but that is another story.


 Flipping on the TV set, I watch whatever is on the channel, rather than look for the remote to change it. It is a show about street racers, but it doesn't matter what is on, because I am more occupied with my toast, and besides, today is the day. I smile, thinking of what is to come. 


 I check the time again and my excitement starts building! Soon now! Very soon! The cat returns to his food and eats a bit more, moving the dish around the floor as his raspy little tongue makes short work of his remaining food. He does not save any for the other cat.


 Finishing my breakfast, I put my plate in the sink and slip my shoes and jacket on. 


 Leaving my bottle of water on the counter, I head outside. I just know it's going to be any minute now! I go to the end of my driveway and I wait, my eyes scanning the street from end to end. Impatiently shifting from right foot to left, I check the time again on my phone. 11 o'clock... Any moment now... I can hardly wait!


 Finally, after what seems like an eternity, I hear the familiar sound of an engine and I see the brown truck trundling down the road towards my house. I see a familiar face smiling as the driver pulls up to a stop and waves at me. Today IS the day!


 Long moments pass until the driver opens the sliding door and emerges, large parcel in hand from my favourite craft supply company! I thank him and wish him a good day then I dash inside with my parcel, eager to see what delights I have forgotten that I ordered! 


 I bring the parcel into my craft room, thinking excitedly, Today is the day I get to craft!!! 


 My sweet male cat, however, is laying across my desk, and his expression clearly indicates that "No... there will be no crafting today."


When the cat wishes to sleep on one's desk, the cat wins.


There is always tomorrow.



By Robin Leonard


July 2020

July 04, 2020 10:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Ethernia Thiadi
10:56 Jul 16, 2020

I enjoyed the humor in this piece of writing, but it was rather anticlimactic in my opinion. The cats win, though, I would very much love to read about their agreement on food-sharing :)

Reply

Robin Leonard
00:51 Jul 18, 2020

Thank you for your feedback. There may be a future story about their food-sharing agreement. I wrote my ending with that little twist on purpose. I liked the twist that after waiting and waiting for the parcel I ended up having to STILL wait longer at the end. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.