1 comment

Fiction Friendship Western

"Come on Bry, it's only two nights a week. Please Honey we can learn the two-step, we'll have more fun when we go out, at weddings, at the Longhorn Fair. What do ya say?"

"No." He slid his horse to a stop.

"OK, you find me a partner. Taller than me, in good shape. How about Tuck, would be my first choice." Moved his horse closer to the fence, leaned in, and kissed her.

"Love you, Darlin."

"I'll call him, do another run down, mare looks good. What is Tuck's number?"

"He recited it, sit there and call him, I'll talk to him when you're done, Darlin." Bry nudged his mare into a lope.

"Tuck, hey it's Emma, how y'all doing handsome? Would you be interested in being my partner for Two-Step lessons, twice a week for a month at Billy-Joe's? Tuesday and Thursday evenings, seven-thirty."

"Hey Sweety, does Bry know y'all are calling me?"

"Uha, he is right here in the pen, making another run on Cindyloo, dam that is a good run, she is going to win this weekend. Tuck, who are you hauling to Ft. Worth?" Handed the phone to Bry. He stuck it in his shirt pocket, tapped his ear fob, road off.

"Tuck, y'all be doing me a huge if you would take Emma to Billy-Joe's, she has her heart set on learning the two-step. I just can't do it. I trust you will take care of her, she likes you and I know you like her. I will owe you partner. What do ya say?" Bry loped.

"OK, it will be my pleasure, just want to make sure you're good with this. Good thing you don't ride like you dance." They laughed.

"Hang on Tuck, back to Emma."

"Got a partner Darlin, you enjoy yourself and Tuck, and take care of my gal." Bry rode off.

"Tuck, thank you, you want to meet at Billy-Joe's?" Emma asked

"No, I'll come by for you at seven, tomorrow, I gotta go, Sweetpea, this colts going to buck me off."

Right on time, Tuck pulled in. He knocked, walked in. "Howdy, it's me, y'all home?

"Be right there Tuck." Grabbed her jean jacket, fidgeted with her denim skirt, kissed Bry. "See you later."

"You look so pretty tonight, I love you, Emma."

"Hey Tuck." she kissed his cheek, he did the same. "Bry says hey."

They were at Billy-Joe''s on time, and both got sparkling water at the bar, there were three tables of students, they just joined one with unclaimed chairs. The instructor team Debbie and Jim, did a basic demonstration, explained the steps, then invited everyone to the floor. Billy-Joe's did not open to the public until nine, giving the students some time to learn the steps before the dance floor got crowded.

"Slow dancers in the center, fast dancers on the outside. Counter clockwise. Keep that in mind. Let's dance." Tuck and Emma were well matched in stride, speed, they laughed, made a zillion mistakes the first hour. "All right y'all let's take a breather, you are all doing fantastic."

They sat for twenty, listened to questions, Debbie and Jim demonstrated the answers, everyone understood. "Alright, let's hear Tulsa Time. Let's Dance. Good beat for the two-step. Debbie and Jim burned up the dance floor, cut in on a few couples. At nine when the doors opened it got loud and fast.

"Emma, Tuck, look into each other's eyes, get a little closer, get more comfortable with how each of y'all moves. Tuck lower your hand, even with your heart. Great that's the way. Move a little more off-center. That's the way, y'all got it. Great partners."

"How come we have never danced with each other before? We have known each other ten years at least?"

"Probably because at dances I have a date, or the fact y'all are married to my best friend, this is different he asked me."

"You want to stop for a coffee Sugar before we hit the highway." He asked her as they left Billy-Joe's.

"Yes would love one. Jose's is close."

"He opened the door, followed her in. "I have to tell you, Emma, Bry is a lucky man to be married to you. Just saying. Two coffee's black." They sat at the bar.

"Thank you, Sweety, I think we are both lucky, I love him to pieces and I think he does the same. Wish he danced, maybe someday.

Tuck walked her to the door just past ten and kissed her cheek. "Thanks for a fun night, see you in Ft. Worth."

"Goodnight Tuck. Safe drive home Sweety."

Bry was already in bed when she walked into the bedroom, he had left a dim light on. She stripped off, slid between the sheets. Like on auto pilot his arms took her in. In his sleepy voice. "Have fun, tonight Baby?"

"I did. Goodnight Babe." They share a kiss long and soft.

"Goodnight."

Tuesday evening Tuck was right on time. Knocked on the door, she was walking into the kitchen as he opened the screen door. "Hey Emma, you up for more fun?"

"Yes, let's hit the road. like your hat."

"Thanks, Bry not around."

"No, he is down at the barn, halter breaking babies. He wants to turn them back out tomorrow. Shots, feet, worming...you know?"

Walking into Billy-Joe's, they found all the same students. "I'm impressed, you all came back! Any questions before we start?" Debbie asked. Ran through a few. "Alright, Let's Dance."

Emma and Tuck were more comfortable with each other. Their eyes connected, fewer mistakes. They were more relaxed, loads of laughs. At one point he twirled her and kissed her cheek as they were killing themselves laughing.

"Oh God Emma, I am sorry, that was out of line. I apologize, sincerely, I meant nothing by that peck on the cheek except fun between friends. Honest."

"It's OK Tuck. You never crossed the line. We trust and respect each other. We sure laugh a lot, don't we? Learning is fun."

"Yes we laugh a bunch, thank you. I'll try and control my urges.

At nine the music slowed for a couple close slow dances. They were comfortable, and neither ever mentioned the incident again. On the way out at nine-thirty, he asked her for coffee again.

"Yes would love a coffee, this will be our routine I think.. They sat on the same stools at the bar. Drank one cup.

"Tuck, is that your Christian name, the name given to you at birth?"

"Oh no, I got that at about twelve years old, my day had a couple small young quarter horses to ride, he was a large man, so I got to ride them. I could get them to tuck their butts under and slide. My name was Tuck from that day on. I was born Samuel J. Broker. My dad would say, 'Show em how it's done Tuck, you just go tuck those babies in. My father was a reining horse trainer."

"What is the J for?"

"Nothing, it is just a J."

"Great story Tuck. You ready?"

"Yep, Ready." She looped an arm through his.

He walked her to the door and kissed her cheek as she did his, "Thank you, Tuck." She smiled at him thinking I am bringing my girlfriends into this man's life. He could use a woman in his life. One that dances. "Goodnight, drive safe."

"Goodnight Emma." He walked towards his truck, 'man she is one special lady.

She dropped her clothes in a pile by the bed and slid in beside Bry, found his ready, they made love, deep, quiet, and sweet. "I love you, Bry."

"I love you Em."

Thursday's lesson started, to see how much they were learning and retaining, Debbie paired everyone with someone else for the first few dances. "The fourth lesson, we are halfway through the class. Test day. Let's Dance. Mistro please play, George Strait, Amarillo. Emma was matched with a guy named Thomas, he was not a bad dancer but, she sure missed Tuck. They both had smiles from ear to ear when they were instructed to go back to their partners.

"Boy I missed you, Sweety, you are a good dancer. I am going to kiss your cheek, don't take it personally. Glad you are my dance partner." She kissed him, and they burned up the dance floor for the rest of the evening.

"We're good Emma, never knew just how until I dance with someone else. As well as good dance partners, you are fun to dance with. They slid around the dance floor to The Watermellon Crawl and laughed until they split.

He opened the door for her as they left Billy's. "Want a coffee?"

"Yes, isn't that a given Tuck?"

"I never take anything for granted Emma, you may want to get home to that lucky guy at your house." They laughed.

"Or you may have some good-looking redhead warming the sheets. Goes both ways."

"I suppose."

They sat on their same stools, drank the same delicious tasting rich single cup of coffee.

"Tuck, do you have a lady friend?"

"Why?"

"I would like to introduce you to a friend of mine or at least give you her name and number. You interested? Also, there is a Two-Step dance competition I want us to enter and win. Debbie mentioned it. Interested."

"Interested. Yes and maybe," he smirked.

"You can tell me in what order the next lesson. Finished? I have a gallant cowboy waiting at home for me. I should tell you Samuel J Broker if I didn't you'd be it. Let's go my very best man friend." She too smirked as she slid off the chair.

He walked her to the door, kissed her cheek, said goodnight, and stood looking at the door after she closed it. "Keep it straight Sam, Keep it straight, she belongs to him, admire from afar. Don't fuck up the best friendships you will ever have in your life.....just don't, you are better than that, let it ride. Goodnight Emma." All but a whisper.

Lesson five was a Pub crawl in Ft. Worth, they were loaded on a bus and spent forty minutes in three Honki Tonks, danced until they dropped, and then bussed back to Billy Joe's." They all said goodnight, Emma and Tuck headed for Jose's.

He held the door for her, sat on the same stools, it was like Jose knew they were coming and saved them, the two white coffee mugs arrived, they drank.

"I wonder if there is still a Jose'?" Emma said.

"Maybe."

"So, what do you think?"

"About what?"

"Either or both?"

"Both."

"Her name is Kim, she is in the Hill Country. Rides a cute little palomino mare, called Sugar. She is a pretty good hand, is gorgeous pretty, about my height, almost black hair, sky blue eyes. She is a professional model. She wants to meet you." She slid a piece of paper over to his cup. "She is in Florida until tomorrow night. Bathing suit shoot. She is drop-dead gorgeous, did I mention that already. Rich. She loves to dance.....loves!"

"Thank you."

"The competition?"

"Yes, let's do it. Get the info and you can fill me in next Tuesday. Lesson six. Mmm, ready?"

"Yes, Thank you, Tuck."

"For what?"

"All of it."

"We're good."

Tuck was on time to pick her up for lesson six, happy, smiling. As he opened the door to Billy's he said. "I called her and went down and took her to dinner in Austin, we spent the weekend together. Thank you."

"Good."

"I got the info for the competition, last class night is in a Honki Tonk in Ft. Worth, near the stockyards. They paid for our entry. We have to dance a slow a med stream and a fast. The whole class will come and after the competition is over there is free dancing for everyone all night. I will invite Bry and you can invite Kim, meet there. Let's get through tonight, get all the help we can. I love dancing with you. Just thought I would throw that in."

"....and I with you Emma. I look forward to this every week, never ever thought I could enjoy myself quite this much. I am a changed man, you helped with that. Love Kim"....he smiled at her, and the music started. The Cowboy Rides Away.

"You're not getting away quite yet Sweety, Let's Dance!" Emma said.

He spun her onto the dance floor, they started to two-step, never missed a beat, a step, a spin, a turn, they were in sync.

Debbie and Jim came past a few times. "Wow you two, keep that energy going, you look spectacular. You got this." They smiled and moved on.

"What do we say to that?" She asked Tuck who had a huge grin on his face. You want to go shopping for matchy kind of clothes, we have to sort of match. Maybe black jeans, I have a nice black denim skirt, got new black boots with tiny rose-colored flowers embroidered on them. Can you wear a rose-colored shirt and a black neckerchief, maybe silk, I have one. Black Boots, hat. Between us and you, we should have almost everything. it won't cost you anything."

"I have the hat, boots, jeans, belt, big buckle I won. I saw a black shirt at the Cowboy Store in Ft. Worth, black with a tiny edge of rose color. I'll go buy it. Do you have a shirt? or even a T-shirt with long sleeves and a vest. You'll figure it. You have to wear a hat?"

"Yes, I need to wear a hat, let's see if someone has one I can borrow for tonight. There Sandy has one on. Ha! fits. Spin me, Sweety."

"I'm excited now, thank you for agreeing to do this." She said.

"Thank you for inviting me to be your partner in crime. Thank you for Kim's number. I should go down and pick up Sugar and her. She will want to ride while she is here. I'll check. Yes getting excited, I can feel the energy."

He held the door for her at Jose's, the stools were empty, it was like an omen. They drank the coffee, discussed plans, and chatted about wardrobe. "This will probably be the longest week of our life."

"You ready?" She chugged down the last bit of coffee.

He rested an arm over her shoulder as they walked to the truck.

"Is that a new truck?"

"No, I just sent it to a detailer and they did everything. I have a card, free pick up, and delivery. Bonded and insured."

Lesson seven was a recap, a test of skill and knowledge. Kim had a local photo shoot, she popped in with Bry at about nine.

They both stood at the bar and watched Emma and Tuck dance. The music lit their smiles, 'All My Ex's Live in Texas. He spun her to the dance floor, then fell into step with each other. When they were done everyone on the dance floor had stopped to watch them, got an ovation, hoots, hats in the air.

Kim and Bry came onto the dance floor, much to their surprise. Emma stood frozen. Tuck took Kim, spun her, and danced away. Bry took Emma's hand, spun her, and started to dance with her. The music was 'I Just Want To Dance With You. She smiled at him, said nothing just danced, tears flowed. "Who taught you to dance, I love you." He twirled her one more time and shifted into the two-step around the entire floor. They laughed.

They all went to Jose's for coffee, sat at the bar. "Are you going to tell me or not?"

"Tuck told me I was a damn fool, that I better get over myself, learn how to dance because you are about the best dancer he has ever danced with, someone better than him was going to steal you away and I would get no sympathy from him. So Debbie has been teaching me at their house, every day. I go have a dance lesson. God, I'm so sorry Emma, I love you more than life itself." He leaned in kissed her.

"Oh shit."

The dance competition had a full slate, Tuck and Emma danced their hearts out. Emma thought later when it was over, 'it was like being in a trance, another world, where there was just her and Tuck. Where the beat of the music took them to another place and time, the Two-Step took them out of themselves and into the beyond. Beyond what was, into what could be. The rhythm of the country music, the lyrics of the songs, and the twirls, the steps, the movement drove it all home.

The trophy sat on her fireplace mantel, proud of it she was, she told her son of that time in her life, many times over. Especially while she taught him how to dance.

June 10, 2022 02:35

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Alexis Blanchard
20:57 Jun 21, 2022

Very sweet, wish my husband loved me like that!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.