0 comments

General

The Letter.


Dear Whoever May Be Reading This,

I swear to God I did not mean to. I did not mean to hurt anybody. It’s just that it feels so...right. No- liberating. Yes, that’s it. Freeing. I need it. I need it. I need my friends, and my friends need me.

Although I’m afraid I’ve been a little selfish lately. I don’t think my friends like it when I take them away for too long, or when I grab them so tight my fingers leave bruises on their wrists. You must understand that I have to do these things, though, otherwise they’ll run away from me. I cannot be lonely again. Not again. I must confess, my reader, that I do feel a little guilty at times; I feel a little sad to see my friends slowly go still, to see the fear in their eyes drain away like the spiders in my shower. But they get a little too unruly sometimes, so I have to. I have to. When my days are especially uneventful, and I’ve quenched my thirst with a few cans I find myself wandering back there. It was, if I remember correctly, ten years ago. And yet, as I lay in an intoxicated stupor it seems like it was just last night. 

They caught me once. Ten years ago. They locked me away, behind metal rods that reminded me of a barcode. The watchman that kept me company was so stern, and not much fun at all. The food was tasteless, and they put me in those awful metal bracelets. Sounds horrible, right? Don’t you worry though. I got away. When I’m feeling especially low just the thought of that place keeps me going. It’s what makes me duck and run low when I see them drive by, flashing red and blue. I can’t go back. Please don’t make me go back. Nowadays I’m on the road, and I’d like to keep it that way. I’m still on my trip- yes, that’s what I’ll call it. My road trip. My ten-year-long road trip. My forever road trip.

Oh my. My apologies. I tend to ramble on and on; I’ve already told you things I was not supposed to tell others. You now know too much about me, I'm afraid. But I had to tell someone. I'm sorry, my reader. I have never been good at keeping secrets.

See you soon.


-Your New Friend



September 07, 2019 02:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.