0 comments

Romance Happy Fiction

Wedding bells chimed, and flowers were thrown.

She tore a leaf apart, bit by bit, piece by piece. When that was done, she gazed around   the bushes, her eyes drawn to a bush smaller than the others.

“Why was it smaller?” she wondered. She directed her eyes to the clouds and studied their texture.

Someone nudged her, “The officiant is about to speak.” 

"Do you take this man to be your husband, to live together in matrimony…”

Her eyes were drawn to a rustle, a little bird hopped out from the bushes and she found herself admiring its feathers. 

She was brought back to the present as the bride went “I do.” 

The officiant started to repeat himself with a few added adjustments, but this time it was directed towards the husband.

 She fiddled with her hands. Everyone stood up and applauded. She sat for a second before she stood and joined in. She had never met the husband, Peter, or the wife, Amilia. Even though Amilia was her cousin, she still hadn’t met her. The bride and groom walked down the aisle and people started to form a line to congratulate them. She skipped the line and walked inside to the reception area.

 The room was white with banners stating “ For many long years together,” and other happy marriage thoughts. It smelled of various foods. The room was mostly clear due to the fact that they planned to have a dance, but they left chairs and tables. She slipped down into a seat and waited for food to be served. When everyone had assembled, the food arrived and they held a toast to the new couple. She ate her food, and everyone stood up to wander around. Maybe she could slip away? It wasn’t like she was an important guest, and at this point they were just hanging out. She made her way to the exit. A slow waltz started to play and a nearby man swept her up in a dance.

“How has your day been going?” He asked as they swept around the floor. She squirmed under the gaze of this stranger.

“Good, but I really must be going now,” she added.

“Oh no, I insist you really must stay,”  he offered.

“Uh, no it wasn’t that, it's just I have to go,” she intervened. 

Suddenly, a young man with dark brown hair and piercing blue eyes pushed the stranger aside and led her to a bench.

“Sorry about that,” he said as he gestured over to the stranger. 

The stranger had now taken up dancing with a different woman and was twirling around the dance floor.

“Uh,” she stammered.

“He’s my brother. I'm so sorry. Sometimes, he can get a little carried away. I myself don’t tend to participate in dances or big celebrations, but he insisted that I come. It has been awkward and boring because I don’t know the couple,” he vented. 

Something about the way he talked made her feel comfortable, and she found herself talking to him rather freely. 

“Same with me, I am the cousin of the bride but I have never met her,” she admitted. 

Her cheeks warmed and she found herself getting a little bit nervous. Her heart started pounding a little bit faster and her breath quickened. She hoped he didn’t notice. How childish it seemed,, but she couldn’t make the excitement that washed through her dissipate. 

“I-I-I wasn’t planning to stay any longer if you would like to leave with me,” she offered.

“Sure,” he replied as he led her towards the exit. 

The wind outside brought clean air to her nose as well as the scent of flowers. He led her to a bench.

“Soooo… parties aren't your thing?” he asked.

“Oh no,  I mean I don’t mind them, but people can get so loud,” she complained.

“Tell me about it,” he agreed.

“It also helps if you know the couple,” she added.

“Oh for sure,” he concurred.

“So, what is your name?” she asked. 

“My name is Rory and I have a job at a small computer company. I have a degree in computer science, so yeah,” he stated.

“Oh, how nice, I work as a waitress. It is really boring," she admitted.

His mouth formed into a grin, and her cheeks turned a shade redder. 

“I think that’s nice,” he assured her.

“It really isn’t,” she replied. 

“Maybe so,” he said as his smile grew wider.

“When did you graduate college?” she asked.

“Oh, I don’t know maybe five no wait, six, wait maybe seven years ago,” he counted, “sorry I don’t remember,”

“You don’t remember?” she laughed, “You should know when you graduated.”

“I normally do,” he defended, “It’s just I forgot right now,” as he said that they both burst out laughing.

“Hey, you want to come over tomorrow?” he offered.

“Sure, where do you live?” She asked.

“Pinesaw street, 6095,” he replied.

“Really!” she shouted, “I live only a few blocks away,” 

Alright then, come over at two,” he replied.

She drove home, her face stuck in a smile. 

***

Today was Sunday and all she could think about was the time. The day seemed to drag on. She was sure two-o’clock would never arrive.

“Tic, toc, tic, toc” the clock repeated.

 Finally it was one forty-five and she decided to head over. When she arrived it was exactly two and she knocked on the door. The door was dark brown and shaped like a cut in half oval. The rest of the cabin was surrounded by trees and was made up of logs. She couldn’t tell if he had a backyard because the trees blocked her view. The door opened and in the doorway stood Rory. He welcomed her in. She could feel her pulse quickening. The inside was just as cozy as the outside. It had a faint smell of spices and cleaning products. The light was low, and the living room had just enough space for a couch and tv. The kitchen was placed in a little corner with a table opposite to it. 

“Sorry this is basically it,” he apologized, “Oh, and the bathroom is over there,” he added as he pointed to a closed door on the other side of the living room.

“Oh, don’t apologize, this is wonderful,” she gasped. “Where do you sleep though?” 

“On the couch there isn’t space for a bedroom,” he admitted.

Now that she looked at the couch more closely it looked like it folded out, and provided a mattress. Next to it, there was a blanket and a pillow stacked neatly on top of one another.

“Can I get you anything to drink?” he asked. “I have water, cranberry juice, wine and cider.”

“I’ll just have water, thank you,” she replied.

“Of course,” he responded as he headed over to his kitchen and poured out two glasses of water. “Anything else you want?” he asked.

“No, I’m good,” she replied. 

He set her glass down on the table and motioned for her to come over and have a seat. She stepped wobbly over to her chair and nodded her head as a thank you. Her heart thumped harder than ever before. She sipped her water gulping down her anxieties.

“Sooooooo… how are you?” he asked.

“Oh uh, good, you?” she stamered then ducked her head to hide her blush. 

It wasn't like her to get nervous. 

“Want to go on a walk?” he asked.

“Uh, sure,” she agreed. 

He led her into the backyard which was a jumble of trees and bushes. The wind blew her hair across her face and she gazed in awe at the flowers sprouting out of a fallen tree.

“You know…” he started.

“Huh?” she asked.

“You know I told you my name but what is yours?” he finished.

“Oh! I didn’t tell you? My name is Scarlet,” she supplied.

“What a nice name,” he complemented.

They strolled through his forest gasping at birds and small creatures that they wandered upon.

“Do I look like him,” Rory asked as he made the same pose as a small squirrel that stood in place.

She snapped a picture, “Yup,” 

“Hey!” he laughed.

“I can’t miss a good opportunity,” she replied. 

“Um, Scarlet,” he started.

“Yes,” she responded,”

“Can I come over to your house tomorrow?” he proposed.

“Of course,” she agreed.

She knew she might be rushing things but maybe one day they would get together and eventually end up where they started, at a wedding.

August 23, 2024 23:50

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.