Reflection In Smoke and Mirrors

Submitted into Contest #207 in response to: Write a story about a magician who never reveals their secrets — until now.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction

In the hushed silence of his weathered room, Frank deftly maneuvered a deck of cards, the echo of his past performances whispering in each shuffle. He executed a simple trick first - a card vanishing and reappearing as if by magic, the sleight of hand lost on an audience of one. Then, he dared a more intricate trick. He slid the selected card a precise distance into the deck, followed by a meticulous shuffle. His hands, however, trembled, faltering midway through the trick before eventually coming to rest on the table. The remainder of his practiced routine dissipated into the ether, forgotten.

The abrupt termination of routines he had performed effortlessly for years was an unfortunate norm for Frank, a casualty of the Alzheimer's disease nibbling away at his identity. The once illustrious performer sighed, the realization of his diminishing mastery over his beloved craft ever more poignant.

Life had been reduced to a mundane routine in the retirement home where Frank resided, his hobbies dwindling with his memories. Occasionally, young performers—violinists, dancers—would grace the tenants with performances in exchange for community service hours. Frank typically found these performances uninspiring.

But on one such day, as the discordant strains of a fledgling violinist still reverberated in the room, a young boy took center stage. His face, fresh and full of energy, lit up as he hoisted a small box.

“Hello all!” he declared, his voice brimming with unspoiled confidence. Spotting Frank, he sauntered over, playfully pulling a coin from behind his ear. “Seems like you had something there,” he quipped, pocketing the coin with a wink. "My name is Sam," he continued, "And tonight, I’m here to dazzle you!" With that, he unveiled a deck of cards, his hands ambitiously attempting a complex shuffle. He stumbled, cards scattering, yet he recovered with a charming grin, his confidence undeterred. Frank was captivated. The boy’s passion breathed life into what he believed was a fading art, considered passé by younger generations.

As Frank watched Sam, nostalgia washed over him. Memories of when he was the magician everyone looked up to, the enigma at the center of awe and speculation, flooded back. Now, in the age of technology, secrets of the craft were a mere click away, draining the magic of its mystique. But Sam's fervor, albeit more vibrant than his skills, was a refreshing sight.

After the show, drawn to the boy's earnestness, Frank sought out Sam, eager to introduce himself.

"Hey kid," Frank ventured, catching Sam's attention.

Curiosity sparked in Sam's eyes as he looked up.

"You did well out there. For that shuffle, though, I'd recommend arranging your fingers like this," Frank demonstrated, his fingers assuming a specific formation, "it gives you a firmer grip."

Sam attempted to emulate the hand position, an appreciative smile on his face. "Thanks," he replied, tipping his slightly oversized magician's hat. His eyebrows knitted together. "How do you know all this?"

Frank's lips twitched into a nostalgic smile. "Believe it or not, kid, I used to tread the boards myself. Did quite a stint as a professional magician. My stage name was Frank the Fabulous."

Recognition dawned on Sam's face. "Wait," he exclaimed, "I KNOW you! I've watched all your DVDs!"

"That's right, kid," Frank confirmed, a sense of accomplishment settling in his heart. Saying goodbye to Sam seemed a dreadful thought. The loneliness that had draped his past few months, a life devoid of genuine human connection, suddenly loomed larger. An idea took root. "You know, I could teach you some tricks if you'd like," Frank offered.

Sam's face lit up. "You would? I'd love that! When?"

After settling on a time for their first lesson, Frank returned to his room. He took a moment to jot down the date and time on a whiteboard hanging on his wall—a tool to help him remember things in the face of his encroaching forgetfulness. This was one appointment he didn't want to lose to his fickle memory.

The days leading up to their first magic lesson seemed to move at a glacial pace for Frank. The prospect of teaching Sam breathed a new sense of purpose into his life, a distraction from the loneliness and the slow slipping of his memories.

When the day finally arrived, Frank was ready. He greeted Sam with a collection of his most beloved tricks, their secrets preserved within the well-worn props and Frank's fading recollections. He still kept them meticulously organized, and practiced one trick each day in a desperate attempt to preserve his skills, his identity.

"Alright, Sam," Frank started, "We'll begin with the 'Mystic Coins.' Remember, magic is not just about tricks; it's about the story you weave around them." Over the next few hours, Frank initiated Sam into the world of illusions, passing on the intricacies of the 'Mystic Coins' trick. Sam's fascination and eagerness made the lesson more enjoyable for both of them.

The lessons became their routine. With each passing day, Sam's skills improved, and a bond grew between the two magicians—one seasoned with the wisdom of years, the other brimming with youthful enthusiasm. Frank taught Sam card tricks, sleight of hand techniques, and even some disappearing tricks. At the tail-end of another engaging lesson. Sam, having just executed an impressive card trick, was eagerly asking Frank about his past as a famed magician. 

"You know," Sam began, "When I get really good at this, I want to have my own magic show on TV, just like you did."

Frank chuckled softly at the boy's enthusiasm. "That's a mighty goal, Sam. But remember, magic isn't all smoke and mirrors. It's also about connecting with people, sharing something incredible that they can't explain."

Sam's face became serious, contemplating Frank's words. "Did you ever feel lonely, Frank? When you were a famous magician, I mean."

Frank's laughter dwindled. He looked at Sam for a moment, then turned his gaze towards a framed picture on his desk, showing Frank the Fabulous in his glory day. "Loneliness is a strange beast, Sam. It can find you in the most crowded rooms and the brightest spotlights." He paused, his gaze unfocused, caught in the grasp of a distant memory. "At times, it felt like I was the only real person in a room full of illusions."

Sam considered Frank's words, a puzzled expression on his face. "That sounds… sad."

Frank simply smiled and ruffled Sam's hair with his bent hand. "It's just a part of life, kiddo. Now, let's get back to those card tricks."

With the progression of days, Frank found his memories fading more frequently. Mundane tasks like applying toothpaste on his toothbrush or recognizing the purpose of the fountain pen on his desk seemed to elude him. His carefully curated collection of magical paraphernalia found itself displaced, the neat arrangement losing battle to chaos. Yet, amidst this growing forgetfulness, one thing remained unwaveringly vivid — his memories of Sam and the substance of their lessons.

Every Wednesday, precisely at 3:30 PM, Frank would station himself at his desk, meticulously planning the magic lesson. He envisioned Sam, just freed from the confines of school, making the short but familiar journey to the retirement home. When Sam would eventually step into the room, wearing his usual outfit of a red T-shirt and faded jeans, the surrounding disarray would starkly contrast with Frank's composed figure, neatly seated at their customary spot by the table.

One Wednesday, as Sam was perfecting his sleight of hand with a new trick, he looked at Frank and asked, "Did you ever forget a trick on stage, Frank?"

Frank paused, his gaze distant. "Once, yes," he replied, a small smile playing at the corners of his lips. "It was a grand show, sold out. The climax was my famous 'Disappearing Dove' trick. Only problem was, I forgot to load the birdcage."

"Wait, so what happened?" Sam asked, eyes wide.

"I had to improvise," Frank chuckled. "Turned it into a comedy bit, managed to get the audience laughing."

"But how did you not panic?" Sam inquired, thoroughly engrossed in the tale.

"Ah, Sam," Frank said, his smile dimming slightly. "In our line of work, reality and illusion often blur. Panic wouldn't have changed the reality, but it could have destroyed the illusion."

Sam's gaze, filled with unspoiled innocence, met Frank's. His voice barely rose above a whisper as he said, "You know, Frank, with all these tricks you've taught me, I'm itching to perform another show. Would you help me?"

"Absolutely, Sam!" Frank responded, his pride seeping into his words. "I'm convinced you're ready for the limelight. Why not give a performance right here?"

The following weekend became the canvas for Sam's grand show. The retirement home residents, eager for a change of pace, congregated in the communal area. Sam had meticulously prepared his magician's station, now brimming with an expanded collection of trick materials.

With a flourish, Sam graced the stage, announcing, "Welcome, ladies and gentlemen, to an evening with Sam the Spectacular. Prepare to be astounded!"

Applause rang in Frank's ears as he watched Sam with a proud, beaming smile.

"For my first trick," Sam declared, "I will make something vanish!" With a swift hand movement, he made a coin disappear as if it were made of smoke. Frank's pride swelled even more.

"But a coin, that's child's play," Sam continued, oozing confidence, "Let's aim for something grander."

He paused for dramatic effect, adjusted his hat, and with a sweeping gesture began to... fade away. His once vibrant form becoming ghost-like, oscillating between visible and ethereal.

Frank's heart seized in confusion. He sprang to his feet, his voice cutting through the silence, "Sam?!"

As the specter of the young magician continued to flicker, a crushing realization began to dawn on Frank. Like the tricks he once performed, Sam's magic, their conversations, their bond, were illusions, reflections in the smoke of his fading memory. But rather than despair, Frank decided to give his illusion one final act. A tribute to the glory days, a farewell to the young magician he once was.

As Frank executed his last act, a complex trick of reflection and smoke, he didn't direct his gaze toward Sam. Instead, he was looking into the mirror, meeting the eyes of a vibrant, young magician, bidding his own past a fond and heartfelt farewell, before giving a final bow.

July 22, 2023 02:32

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.