They Should Make a Thank-You Card for That

Submitted into Contest #261 in response to: Write a story in the form of a series of thank you cards.... view prompt

0 comments

Sad Friendship American

They Should Make a Thank-You Card for That

Thank-You for coming!

7/17/2013

Kate,

Thank-you for coming to my grad party! Can’t believe you drove 4 hours but it was great to have you there. How are we adults now? College was amazing, especially the last few years with you. I couldn’t haven’t asked for a better roommate. I’m going to miss you so much. Keep in touch!

Love,

Mary

PS- Good luck on your interview!

Thank-you…

8/15/2013

Mary,

Everyone at my new job thinks I have a rich boyfriend now, so thank-you very much for those flowers. You’re the best for remembering that daisies are my favorite. Too bad it didn’t keep the creeps away. That guy Tom keeps stopping by my desk to chat. 

Hope you are feeling better. Maybe we can figure out a visit, take a long weekend in the fall? Let me know. 

Love, 

Kate

Thank-you for the gift!

11/1/2013

Kate,

You know you’re the only one who remembered? I don’t feel 23, more like an old woman trapped in a younger woman’s body. The framed picture you sent is a nice addition to the ones we took last month. We still look young, so that's a plus.

Hopefully this year is just as good as the last. I miss you. 

Love,

Mary

PS- tell me how your date goes!!!

Thank-you for the gift!

11/1/2015

Kate,

Every year older I get, the more I understand why old people are so grouchy.

Thanks for the birthday gift. The candle reminds me of that carpet powder we used to use in Phillips Hall. That’s probably why you picked it. 

Also, thanks for that facetime call. I couldn’t bear to have mom in there with me. I miss you. 

Love, 

Mary

Thanks for coming!

7/7/2018

Mary,

Thank you SO MUCH for coming to my shower and for the beautiful gift! You really listen to me and seem to always know what I need.

I know how hard it was for you to get here and it meant the world. Tom loved you and is so excited to spend more time with you at the wedding. So am I. 

Praying for you.  

Love,

Kate

Thank-you from the Newlyweds!

10/22/2018

Mary,

The serving set is beautiful and the money was really just too much. I’m going to save it away for a girl’s weekend for us.

I would have given anything for you to be at the wedding. I saved a dance for you just like we always talked about. Please call me if you need anything. I will fly in if I have to. 

Love you, 

Kate

Thank-you!

11/1/2019

Kate,

Thanks for the birthday card. And all the birthday cards before this. I hate getting older, especially now that I don’t know how many I have left but you’ve always made it a point to mark the occasion. I’m sorry I’m not as responsive to the calls or texts anymore. Some days I just don’t have the energy. Please know I read them. I am forever grateful for our friendship. They don’t make thank you cards for that and they should.

Love you,

Mary

Thank-You for the Gift!

4/8/2021

Mary,

We really loved the housewarming gift. The sunrise reminds me of sneaking out to watch the sun come up over the lake with you at school, before we had a house mom. I never felt as alive as I did then. Taking risks and just enjoying life. With my very best friend. Those were the best years of my life. (Don’t tell Tom that).

We’re going to hang it in the dining room so I’ll see it every day and think of you. Please tell me when I can come visit. Just pick the day, I’ll do everything else. Miss you. 

Love, 

Kate

Thank-you!

1/16/2022

Kate,

Thanks for the flowers you sent to my room. The nurses think I have a secret admirer… as if. The renovation pictures look great. Keep them coming. You make me feel like I have a life outside here. Something to come back to when this is all done. We’ll plan a trip when I’m finished with this round, I promise.

Love,

Mary

Thank-you for the gift!

8/11/2024

Mary,

How did you know I wanted new curtains? And a rug for the dining room? Have you been talking to Tom??? You must be bored in there with all that Amazon shopping you’re doing. 

Also, thanks for listening to me rant the other night. Somehow with everything you have going on, you found a way to make me smile, just like on our afternoon dates to the coffee shop on Poplar street. Can you believe it’s been over ten years since then?

Miss you. 

Love,

Kate

Thanks for coming!

3/11/2025

Mary,

I’m going to be a mom. That hasn’t sunk in quite yet. Thanks for coming to the shower. Having you there was a much needed distraction from my crazy family. 

Did I tell you how much better you look on the new meds? I’m going to keep in contact with the visiting nurses, seems like they’re doing a good job. Maybe you could come stay with us after the baby is born. Have us all together like a family. I would love that. 

Miss you already. 

Love, 

Kate

Thank-you!

3/16/2027 

Kate,

Thanks for hosting me these last few weeks. I know it wasn’t easy having an invalid glued to your couch. If I’d known our time would be so short, I would have come to stay years ago when I could have enjoyed it. Not that I didn’t. Just being in your orbit was the highlight of the last year. The smell of your shampoo brought me back to college. The better and brighter days.

Your family is beautiful Kate, really. And you are the best mom. Enjoy every second you have with them. 

Love,

Mary

Thank-you for the gifts!

1/2/2028

Mary,

You think you went a little overboard with gifts this year? I don’t have room for everything as it is! 

I know you have a lot going on, but I feel like I need to see you. Going years in between visits is bad for our well being, I’m sure of it. 

Now that TJ is a little older, I’m thinking about planning a trip out to you. Just us girls. Give me a date and I’ll be on my way. 

Miss you. Love you. 

-Kate 

Thank-you. 

11/5/2030

Kate,

Thanks for the birthday card. Can’t believe I made it to 40.

Do you remember Mr. Courtney’s last lecture? Where he talked about life being about more than just breathing?

I didn’t get to do much of that, did I? But you did, and I’m so thankful I got to watch. 

You gave me life. Our friendship is the air in my failing lungs. I don’t know who I’d be without you, and I don’t want to. 

I love you. Thank you for being my friend. 

Love always,

Mary

Thank-you

12/1/2030

Mary, 

I don’t know where to begin. I never thought I’d lose you so soon. Even in all of my nightmares, we still had time. 

Tom thinks this will help me, to write a thank you to you one last time.

How can I explain what you’ve been to me? You made the most ordinary of things so very special. 

I’ll never forget our first semester together. I started keeping track of how many times you burnt Ramen in the microwave. Even more memorable was our last semester. Sliding down Residence Hill in the snow. Sleeping through French and barely passing. You made every milestone into adulthood with me. Watching you with my family fulfilled me in a way I didn't think was possible. Because finally I had everyone I love so dearly in one place.

What's crazy is despite everything you were going through, you were the absolute best friend a girl could ask for. Never missing a birthday or anniversary. Only you would still send handwritten cards in the era of social media. 

I only wish I could have been there more for you. You deserved someone to show up for you the same way you did for me. I’m so sorry that I didn’t. 

I promise to keep your memory alive, with extra scoops of hot cocoa powder on cold mornings, and reruns of Friends on weeknights. I will weave the thread of your life through my own, so I don’t have to lose you over and over every time I wake up and remember you’re gone. 

I’m so blessed to have known you. So lucky to have loved you.

I will miss you forever. 

Love,

Kate

August 03, 2024 03:44

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.