blowing tracks

Submitted into Contest #27 in response to: Write a short story that takes place on a train.... view prompt

2 comments

General

I finished the hard part of my mission, or you could call it the easy part, if easy to you is: impersonating a prisoner of war, getting onto a train headed to an iron mine, mining iron for 20 hours straight, and finally sneaking onto a train loaded with iron heading straight to the factories that produce weapons that kill thousands of people.

But I guess that the part of the mission that lay ahead of me was going to be equally as hard in it's own way.

 I should really be uncoupling the train cars to slow it down but I have to sleeeeeeeeeep.  

I awoke to the sound of thunder and lightning. 'Where am I?' I thought in my sleep-deprived state. "No, no" I muttered to myself. 'Why did I let her go? Why did I make her go out in that storm?' 'We never should have argued that night.'  

"I have to save her," I said, getting to my feet, and then I realized I was dreaming. I was remembering the past, a past where My One True Love died because of me. I could have made a difference back then, but I can't go back. 'I have to be strong and make a difference now', I told myself.

I grabbed the bag from the trains' floor that contained the bomb and stumbled towards the door in my half-dazed state.

I reached down to the lever that is used to uncouple the train cars and with all my might I pulled on it.

As I struggled with the lever I was soaked by my own sweat, and the sweat of the angry sky, there was too much tension, I could never uncouple it. It would only be possible if a miracle happened.

 All of a sudden, the only sound I could hear was gentle tapping of the rain on the train cars roof - the train had stopped.

I pulled back the lever with ease as the storm went back to it's previous loud and thundering self.

 I was thrown back from the gangway connection by the sheer force of the electrical current surging through the train car from the lightning that had just struck it. Tumbling down the embankment I endured many cuts and bruises. At the bottom I blacked out.

Once I came too, I noticed something was different. I noticed the sky was ablaze with dazzling blues and greens. Those colors, swirling through space; brought back memories of a better time, a time when I was with my wife; happy and content.

But I did dumb things. I was lazy, unloving, and unforgiving. I pushed her away, I had killed her.

I shook away those thoughts, now is not the time to grieve, now is the time to save some people's lives, now is the time to make a difference.

I stumbled along the bottom of the embankment. 'Why did the train stop? When was it going to start again? How much time do I have left?'  Those were the questions I asked myself.

Off in the distance, I could hear the train starting once again, I scrambled up the embankment with all the strength I could muster.  Out of my bag I grabbed a bomb. A bomb that I was ordered by a British officer, to detonate on this railway that is used by the Nazi regime to transport iron mined deep in Norway to be used to make weapons to fight World War 2.

 I pulled out the pin that activated the bomb. I made a difference. 

  

February 07, 2020 22:29

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Brittany Gillen
23:19 Feb 09, 2020

A very interesting vignette. It raises a ton of questions. I wanted to be able to see the main character’s dream, which I think would have made his sacrifice so much more devastating. A great start! Keep up the good work.

Reply

Unknown User
16:45 Feb 10, 2020

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate you reading my story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.