4 comments

Friendship Fiction Mystery

The wolf paced nervously in the high tower. It was tonight. He was sure of it. His girl was in danger. She didn't know about him, which was heartbreaking, of course, but important to her survival. If she knew about him early... well, he didn't have to see the future to learn how that went. "Only a night away. Only one night, until I am finally free." He told himself. A sudden jolt went through him. Something had changed. The danger was happening soon, and he would be too late to save her. But maybe not. He just had to think...

Autumn stared at the multi-colored tree. There were beautiful rose-golds, oranges, and yellow-browns. Her little sister was making snow angels in the fallen leaves. Tengo, their dog was trying to do the same, but looked like a living hotdog, trying to get out of the oven. "Tengo!" Mariana yelled, as Tengo accidentally shoved a pile of leaves on her, as she tried to get up. Autumn giggled, and Tengo looked mighty pleased with himself. Tengo bounded over to her, as Mariana poked her head through the large pile of leaves she was covered in. She spat out bits of leaf and said, "Hey! It's not funny,"

Autumn started to get a prickly feeling. Was someone watching her? Autumn whirled around and thought she saw a glimpse of two yellow eyes in one of the park bushes. Its nothing. I'm just getting very paranoid since tomorrow is Halloween. Autumn reassured herself.

His paws felt numb. He couldn't stand it. He knew she had seen her. He knew she would torment her in her sleep. Tonight, he might have to see her. To save her from whatever horrible dream. "Arg!" He growled. "Taking care of a syrus is so hard!" His girl was a syrus, a dangerous thing. He was her guardian, but he could only be summoned, when his syrus was in danger. She was. But, she was no normal syrus. She was the only living daughter of Metaporphae, the queen of their kingdom. The Kingdom was a mess when she died. None of her heirs survived, except the one stolen one. She was never found until now. Now he knew where she was, he just had to keep her alive...

Autumn sighed as she painted another streak of blue to her painting. She had been having these weird flashes, like flashbacks. One was about a beautiful sky palace. It was just her imagination, of course, but it was beautiful. She couldn't help painting them. "Beautiful artwork Autumn! I love your creativity!" Her teacher, Mrs.Dasher said. Autumn jumped, startled. "Oh, thanks," Autumn said shyly. Autumn took a step back to peer at her painting. It was her, with wings open wide, like she wanted to give you a giant hug. Behind her was a palace that was made of diamonds, and had little opals. People started to gather around her painting, with surprised whispers going around the students. "You should enter that in the contest!" One kid said, handing Autumn a paper. "Thanks, Tyrus," Autumn said. The paper said, County art contest! Submissions must be entered by October 31st! "It's today! Go submit it!" Tyrus said. "Okay. Thanks, guys." Autumn said. The school bell rang, and Autumn released the breath she was holding. She didn't like very much attention. But that was hard to avoid when the rest of her family were outroverts. Autumn grabbed her painting and put it under her arm.

The office was not far from the art room. It was the next door over, which was a relief to avoid stares. "I have a submission for the contest," Autumn said. "Okay. You are Autumn, right? Okay. I'll turn it in." The Secretary said, snatching Autumn's paper.

As the wolf walked the suburban streets, dogs barked at him left and right. He had to find the right house. It should be light blue. He stopped in front of a light blue house. This was it. He just had to find a way to get to her. He knew scratching the front door wouldn't work. Many wolves had tried that before. They had been shipped away, then put to sleep, after no one wanted them. Only a few were adopted. He padded over to a bush. He cleared the leaves, enough for him to go in and wait, and be hidden from the outside. The wolf prepared himself and squashed his nervousness. Tonight, all his senses will be tested. Tonight, his whole life would change. For the better, or for the worst.

Autumn blinked, confused. Two blue eyes poked out of the berry bushes in front of her house. "What is that?" Autumn asked herself. She crept closer, secretly praying it wasn't a rabid dog. She pulled aside the leaves and it was a dog. The dog didn't look normal. It had navy blue fur, with white on his eyes. His eyes looked calm, and kind, instead of rabid and angry. The dog leaned into her, nudging her with his snout. He seemed to say, "I've been waiting my whole life for this moment." Autumn got up. "Stay here. I'll be right back." She said. The dog whimpered, softly. Autumn ran inside the house. She grabbed a hot dog and Tengo's bowl. Tengo was at the groomers, so he wouldn't be home for another two hours. Autumn ran over to the bush but, the dog was gone.

He left no trace, not a single paw print. He just vanished. Autumn threw her bag inside, feeling a loss. That dog was no ordinary dog. He looked like the son of the night itself. Soon, her sister Mariana bashed through the door, and a handsome looking Tengo trailing behind her. "Hellooo!" Mariana yelled, barreling into her sister. Autumn laughed, as her sister smothered her. "Hey! Get off me!" Tengo wagged his tail barking with excitement. "Okay, okay! Tengo shh! I have your costumes!" Their mom's voice came from the doorway. Mariana looked up. "I managed to get two wolf costumes, and I added some touches!" Her mom said smiling. She carried two boxes. She set them down on the table, and Mariana eagerly sat on the closest chair. Autumn walked to the table and opened one of the boxes. There was a wolf costume, with white attachable paws, and an electric wagging tail. "Wow!" Autumn and Mariana said in unison. "Go put them on! Trick or Treating starts soon!" Their mom yelled excitedly.

"What have I done?" The wolf asked himself miserably. He had ran away from his Syrus! But, he knew he had to. She was watching them. And, besides, the girl wasn't ready. She had to be soon though. Time was running out. If she was up past midnight, well, that's when he would have to step in. A jolt went through him, like the first time. The countdown had started. She was preparing. His syrus was in deep trouble.

Mariana poked her sister, trying to get her attention. "Let's split. I want to get to the brewers. They have candy apples. You go to the Skields, who give toys." Mariana said. "Okay," Autumn said. Autumn skipped to the yellow house, which indicated the Skields. As she stood in the line to their house, humming to herself, a cold slithery hand grabbed her. "Hey! Ah!" Autumn yelled as she was dragged. "Help! Help!" She passed through a walking kid. She gasped. she leaped onto another kid. She fell on the concrete face first. Her nose felt stiff and broken. The landscape went from suburban towns to the forest. Autumn had given up about halfway and was stumbling along, tripping on the undergrowth. They stopped, and the slithery hand let go. A snap rang out, and ropes wrapped around her hands. "What can you tell me about Metamorphae, your mother?" A voice asked. "Metamorphae? Who's that? My mother is Juliet Havis." Autumn said, bewildered. The voice hissed. "I see. You don't know yet." The voice barked a harsh laugh. "You'll learn soon enough..." There was a wishing sound, and It was gone.

Two blue eyes poked through a bush. Autumn sighed with relief. "Come here boy!" Autumn said. The dog padded over. He looked amazing, and shiny. He chewed at her ropes, and she fell forward. Autumn buried herself into her savior's fur. He smelt of vanilla and sugar, her two favorite things. She could feel him saying, "I'm here, and I'll never let you go."

(Time skip by one year)

Things went back to normal after that. Well, mostly normal. They adopted the new dog, whom they named nightstar. A very dramatic name, yes. Nightstar always snuck out at midnight on Halloween for some weird reason. But, the best part of having Nightstar was.....scaring people. Nightstar had large fangs, and he looked natural. No one messed with Autumn or her sister, or her mom.

Nightstar ran through the corridors. Where was his girl? Every turn let to a dead end. Every door led to a monster of some sort. Nightstar nuged open a door and..."Nightstar. You fell asleep!" His syrus said with a laugh. He barked, feeling glad she knew how he felt. "I'm right here." She said. He leaned into her hand, letting her fill him with warmth. It was the tenth time he had "the dream". He was starting to get worried that he would be separated. She had to learn her danger soon...and put her kingdom back in order.

October 27, 2020 14:26

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

20:32 Nov 05, 2020

Love the story and I hope you write more of it! "He knew she had seen her. He knew she would torment her in her sleep." ~ These sentences are confusing, maybe he and her are mixed up a couple of times?

Reply

Esther Ojifinni
11:21 Nov 06, 2020

Maybe so! Thanks for pointing that out! I'm glad you loved my story :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kanika Sharma
05:57 Nov 05, 2020

Nice . I Liked it

Reply

Esther Ojifinni
15:17 Nov 05, 2020

Thanks :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.