0 comments

American Fiction Urban Fantasy

"I can't do this anymore. I worked too hard and gave too many years of my life to continue in a place where I am miserable every day of the year." Those were the words I bellowed as I handed in my resignation letter. Fortunately, I'd saved up just enough money to leave for better things, but my savings won't last forever. I have to be strategic about finding a better place to exist. My name is Thomas, and today is the day I hit the road and find my way in life. Many States are offering attractive packages for the correct industries to move in, but as a resident of California, I'd best be prepared for the weather patterns.

With that in mind, I made my way on an interstate train for Denver in a State called Colorado. I'd wanted to live there since I'd taken a trip some years back and saw how warm and welcoming people were to strangers there. Surely a place like that would be perfect for living and working. I nod off on the train, having set the alarm for when I'd expect to be there. Once I awoke, I readied myself to check into a backpacker lodge up the hills and mountains that made up the town. I planned to volunteer there while I look for work as it seemed the best thing to do for one with no job. It was an excellent enough facility reminiscent of campgrounds I'd seen in scouts. I dropped my bags somewhere they wouldn't be in the way. There I met the front desk attendant; we'll call him Sam. He was every bit as gruff and muscular as one might expect of an experienced hiker. He also had a bit of a hunch back, no doubt from carrying heavy stuff on his back over the years, from best I could tell.

"Welcome Thomas to Drifters Lodge, my name is Sam, and we're happy to have you on board with us."

"Thank you, I am humbled to be here to experience the great outdoors. In truth, I'd long fantasized about getting more out in nature."

"Well, you've come to the right place, yes indeed. You'll find not a finer place for those with but the backpack on their back and maybe a couple checked bags to be."

"Perfect, I'm happy to serve even if it means interacting with people. I just really like this place a lot better than, well, a fast-food establishment."

He gave me a chuckle as if to say ain't that the story of everyone who comes by. I wasn't sure whether to take it as condescending, or just you're in good company, man. That said, I'm not one to bite the hand that feeds me, contrary to how I left my last job.

"I mean, no disrespect, it is just I was once in your shoes, and I remember leaving for the exact same reasons. On a good day, customers are nice, and things are mostly manageable but come the holiday season, you'd best have your will written with how chaotic it gets."

"Well, in my case, it was more to do with the fact I wasn't ever going to get promoted due to perceived lack of conflict resolution skills, and no one wants to be stuck in a dead-end job. Sure, I went to college like every kid was told to do, but without also knowing people, good luck getting anything worth doing."

"The story of pretty much everyone here. It's no longer enough to get the Degrees and Experience; if you don't know people, you'd best be able to form your own business like we have. We'll provide lodging and money for food and stuff. Your tasks will include basic camp cleanup, taking people on guided tours of the surrounding area, and pretty much anything asked of you by our workers. Unless asked to do something, you can simply take it all in."

"Sounds like a good deal, at least until I can get some tech work. I had no idea I was in for work where hard work paid off literally."

And so I began my tasks cleaning up picnic tables, pitching tents (stop laughing), guided hiking tours, and yes, even check-ins and check-outs. It was fun work, and the bills were minimal. Truth be told, I don't think I want to leave this place; people are so lovely and welcoming. I may not own property with it yet, but what would I need that for when I have free lodging as part of my job? If I didn't know any better, I'd think I was dreaming of this place. But I keep waking up to remain here, so don't wake me up if I'm dreaming.

Everything was mainly going normal until I encountered a white cat in my bed one morning. Now people may be thinking, oh cute, you now have a brand-new buddy. Well, I don't hate cats, but these things don't just magically show up in your lodging and bed, no less. Is this some kind of prank, or did it somehow find me like all those stories of people who have strays show up at their door? I pet the creature; it woke up with a yawn and meows at a frequency I couldn't hear at first. There was a knock on my door it was Sam.

"Hey, Thomas, you awake yet?"

"Yeah, Sam, I just found a cat in my bed. Does it belong to you?"

"Oh? No, I don't own any cats, but it isn't unheard of for lonely souls to wake up with one in their bed."

"Are you implying there is something supernatural about this place?"

"Not exactly, just we get a lot of stray cats around here, and they have a funny way of sensing loneliness and will sometimes curl up with guests who stay with us."

"Well, if that's true, we ought to rename this place The Stray Cat Lodge."

"We just might, even if unofficially."

"Well, I'd best get back to work routines as cute as this cat, maybe."

"About that, we don't have anyone staying today, so you can relax and bond with your new companion."

"How convenient."

Taking that as a cue, I continue petting my new cat friend. I think I'll name it "Light" because it brought it into my life. It keeps purring and nuzzling me, and I love it. The light, you really were just what I needed. I went out fishing and cooked up a fish for my new cat companion, and it mews happily while I gave it a water bowl too. Later I played with it using a dangling toy. I never thought I'd have so much fun playing with a cat I just found, but before I knew it, Sunset on the best day of my life in what feels like months. Most days feel pretty slow around here with the lack of TV and Internet to amuse me. Reception is pretty bad up here for cellular phone signals. Internet is not much better, so we use landlines to communicate with the outside world for the most part and learn to live with slow internet speeds if the signal exists most days. But I digress the following week was the same, except my cat followed me on my hikes and daily tasks. People wanted to stay longer to pet my cat and play with it too. Due to the attraction people have to cats, I suppose it's as much dependent on me as I am on it for money. I'll have to go down to the city to get proper cat food when my work is done.

When my shift was complete, I went down to the city area "Light" on my head. I found a local pet supply store and got all kinds of attention from locals, no surprise when you have a cat stuck to you like glue. Without guessing which food the cat wanted, it hopped onto the shelves of things I was browsing and knocked them into the basket I'd obtained at the entrance. I'd heard of cats that work in bookstores doing this sort of thing, but this was something else entirely. Could it be one of those feline familiar I'd read about in old texts?

Nevertheless, I humored the "help" it gave me in picking out food and cat treats. I went to the check-out counter and found a beautiful female managing the check-out. The cashier's name tag read Ann.

"Hello, wow, you've got an adorable cat."

"Heh, I suppose I mean, my family has had its share of them in the past, but this one seems to have intelligence beyond anything I've seen."

"I could imagine I rarely see cats so comfortable with their owner they don't need a carrier to be transported. Though I imagine you'll probably want a carrier if it's smart enough to know when it's vet time."

"Yeah, as if I'd ever get it into a carrier if it knows."

We both laughed, knowing how cats can be. And speaking of the devil, a black cat propped itself upon Ann's shoulders. The collar read, "Midnight."

"Aww, you have one too."

"Yes, I was staying at Drifters Lodge when I found this cat in my bed. It has stayed with me ever since. There's something peculiar about that place, but I couldn't put my finger on it."

"Maybe a coven of witches stayed there and cast spells on the place. It certainly wouldn't be the most impossible explanation."

"Doubt it, but from their job ads, they're somehow able to offer unparalleled employee benefits, so it leaves you to wonder if the place isn't hiding something given comparable places operate on a shoestring budget."

"I'd been thinking about that too, with the fact we can never know if someone will come to stay or not."

"Well, it wouldn't be farfetched to think they could be government-funded primarily to make up the difference in clientele."

"Maybe, nevertheless I'd be happy to see you around if you wanted."

"Sure! I'll be there this weekend."

"Awesome, I'll look forward to it."

The weekend finally came, and Ann was here, so was Sam.

"Well, I'll be it seems as though you've found a special someone, and so have your cats."

"Oh, hi Sam, I am glad to be back."

"Ah yes, Ann, how could I forget I frequently get cat food for the strays from your shop. Don't worry, this stay is on the house since you've taken a liking to one of our employees."

I blushed a bit as with the kind of person I am; I'd hardly figured I'd have settled down before I was 50, much less had a relationship. Once the dust cleared between the two, I sat down to enjoy food alongside our cats as they seemed to be bonding well, as if they'd not forgotten each other despite how long they'd been away from each other.

"Well, whether Sam is right about us or not, it sure seems we ought to keep our cats together."

"Yeah, it's so cute watching how cats honestly express their feelings without fear."

"Why can't humans be like that?"

I was taken aback as we'd both said that last line at the same time.

You can guess what happened then, so I'll spare you the details, but safe to say, after a few more dates like this, our cats had kittens, and soon we'd be having our own child. Sounds like a fairy tale or movie, doesn't it? Well, life is funny that way sometimes, and so is the camp. There are still things I may never fully know about the place. Secrets yet to be uncovered, events I'll never know about that took place here. As is traditional for every tale, it seemed assured that our little one would grow up here, aside from the usual life dramas we'd live happily ever after.

September 03, 2021 23:32

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.