2 comments

Drama Romance Inspirational

      She stared down at the ring on her finger and tried to fight off tears. A box sat in the seat next to her filled with personal belongings. The Uber driver dabbed beads of sweat on his forehead in the front seat. When their eyes met, he gave her a smile.

           “You should smile you know; frowning takes years off your life.”

           She sighed, “Yeah, well, I lost years of my life to a company. I was expecting a promotion and was instead let go. Not much to smile about.” She could feel a lump forming in her throat as she spoke.

           “Everything happens for a reason. This could mean better things are coming for you miss.” He smiled at her again then dabbed at his brow. He turned his gaze back to the halted traffic in front of them.

           A tear slid down her cheek and she quickly wiped it away with the back of her hand. Ten years, she thought. I devoted ten years of my life, worked from the bottom up, and expected a reward for all my hard work, and they call me into the office to tell me they were letting me go. “Back to square one,” she mumbled to herself.

           The car lurched forward as the traffic began to move again.

           She fidgeted with her ring and turned again toward the box next to her. A frame poked out of the top. She pulled it out and looked down at the picture inside. It was a picture of her and her fiancé, Luke. A toothy grin was displayed across her face as he planted a kiss on her cheek. They’d taken a long weekend together in Maine and snapped the photo while visiting the Nubble Lighthouse. It was the same day he proposed. They’d been dating since high school, a total of fifteen years. She smiled at the picture and gently tucked it back in the box. Thinking about Luke gave her a sense of hope, at least if I must start over, I have someone by my side to do it with.

           The car turned onto her street. It was lined with tall apartment buildings and made narrow from parked cars. Even after several years, it was hard for her to adjust to city life. The busy streets and tall buildings, not to mention all the traffic and the smell. Her college internship with the publishing company led her to the big city, and the job offer that followed kept her there. Luke wanted to show his support for her dream, so he made the big move as well to be with her. She knew he hated city living and vocalized regularly how much he missed their small-town life. It was a topic they often fought about.

           The car jerked forward as it came to a stop in front of her building. She pulled the box toward her as she slid out of the backseat. She used her hip to shut the door behind her. The driver leaned out his window and said, “Keep your head up, and if you could leave a review for me too.”

           “Thanks. I’ll leave the review if you get your air conditioner fixed.” She gave a small smile.

           A large grin spread across his face, and he dabbed at his forehead again. “Deal.”

           She kept the box rested against her hip as she trudged up four flights of stairs to their apartment. Using her free hand, she aimlessly searched through the box for her keys, and as she fumbled with them, she realized the door was unlocked. Strange, she thought. The apartment was quiet as she walked in. The curtains were shut, and all the lights were off. She placed the box down on the counter. Something felt off.

           “Luke?” She called. He was normally at work at this time, and he never forgot to lock the door. She crept around the corner into the living room where the door to their bedroom was. The door was shut, and she could make out the faint sound of voices. “Luke?” Her knuckles were white against the door handle as she threw the door open.

           A beautiful blonde shot up in bed, startled. Next to her lay a wide-eyed Luke.

           “Natalie!” He shouted in shock.

           The blonde woman had scurried out of bed and was gathering a pile of clothes on the floor. Natalie stood in the doorway, dumbfounded by what she was seeing. Luke remained under the covers as the woman pushed past Natalie.

           “I’m so sorry,” she whispered on the way by.

           Natalie kept her eyes on the floor until she heard the front door shut. “What the hell is going on?”

           Luke slowly got to his feet, “I’m so sorry, Nat. I really am.”

           Natalie placed a hand against the wooden door frame to steady herself. The room felt as though it were spinning, and she was fighting off the urge to be sick. A lump was forming in her throat, and her heart was racing. Luke took a step toward her. Natalie raised a hand in the air and said, “Don’t you dare come near me.”

           “Please, Natalie, let me explain.” He pleaded.

           She shook her head and turned away from him. My job and now this, she thought. A warmth spread throughout her chest. Anger. She turned on her heels and beelined for the kitchen. The items in the box crashed to the floor as she dumped them out. Natalie gathered her phone and bag from the floor and took the empty box with her into the bedroom. Luke was silently following behind her as she stormed into the bedroom.

           “What are you doing?” He asked as she began shoving clothes into the box. Drawers were flying open, and slamming shut as she rummaged through everything in the room, gathering her belongings.

           “I’m leaving.” Her voice cracked as she spoke. She swallowed hard trying to choke down the tears forming in the corner of her eyes.

           “What? You can’t leave.” Luke said frantically.

           Natalie slammed the last drawer shut and lifted the box. She rested it against her hip and shoved past Luke. “Actually, I can.”

           “Where are you going to go? Please, Nat, stay. We can talk about this.” He pleaded.

           She dropped the box and it hit the floor with a loud thud. Her head whipped around to face him. He stood there half-naked in the living room. His wide-eyed stare was apologetic and on the verge of tears. She felt too angry to care.

           “There’s nothing to talk about.” Natalie hissed.

           “Nat,” Luke’s voice cracked. “Please, I screwed up. I know I did. I understand if you don’t want to talk about it because you’re mad right now,” tears were running down his cheeks as he spoke. “Let me be the one to leave at least. You shouldn’t be put out like that.”

           She chuckled, “It’s so kind of you to take me into consideration now,” her voice grew louder, “after you’ve already put me out by falling into OUR bed with someone else!” She put her hands up in defeat as she felt tears stream down her face. “I lost my job today, Luke.”

           He gasped. “I’m so sorry, Natalie. I really am. Please stay, I can sleep out here on the couch. I won’t get in your way; it’ll be like I’m not even here. I’ll do anything, please.”

           Natalie shook her head again. “No, Luke. I can’t stay here with you, and without a job to pay the rent for this place, I can’t stay here alone either. I’m sure you’ll figure it out.” She shoved her bag and phone on top of her box of belongings and lifted it, so it rested on her hip again.

           “Natalie!” She heard Luke call her name as she entered the stairwell.

           Her feet carried her so fast down the stairs and out onto the sidewalk. She pulled her phone from the top of the box and requested an Uber. Several minutes passed and the driver from earlier pulled up in front of her building. Natalie stared at him confused.

           “Hello again!” He said as she climbed into the back seat. “I live right around the corner from here and saw the request come through. I was curious if it would be you.” He noticed the box she pushed into the seat beside her and her tear-stained cheeks. His smile faded, “are you alright?”

           “No. I need to go to the bus station, please.” She slid the ring off her finger and shoved it into the box. The driver nodded in response. As the car pulled away Natalie noticed Luke making his way out onto the sidewalk. She used the back of her hand to wipe away her tears, they came down harder until she was sobbing into her hands.

           Natalie walked through the crowded bus station searching for a familiar face. She purchased a duffle bag at a nearby shop to put all her items in before leaving the city. It was easier to travel with than the box.

           “Natalie!” A voice in the crowd called to her. When she turned Natalie recognized her mother standing near the entrance of a convenience store.

           She weaved through the crowd of people until she was close enough to embrace her mother. It was an embrace that nearly brought her to tears. “Thanks for coming to pick me up.” Natalie’s voice was a faint whisper.

           Her mother rubbed a hand down her arm reassuringly, “Of course honey.” Natalie attempted to smile to keep from crying. “Oh!” Her mother exclaimed and hugged her again. “Everything is going to be okay! You’ll see it, it will all work itself out.”

           “I’m back to square one Mom. I have no place to live, so I’m moving back in with my parents. I lost my job and was so close to reaching my dream position at that company. Then I came home and found my fiancé and the man I’ve been with most of my life in bed with a random woman.”

           “It’s hard, I’m not saying it isn’t. But this day doesn’t define the rest of your life. Everything happens for a reason. There will be more places to live, more jobs, and more men.” They made their way into the parking lot of the station.

           “I don’t want other places to live, or other jobs, or other men. I had everything I’d ever wanted, and it all came crashing down in less than twenty-four hours. The last fifteen-some-odd years of my life wasted.”

           Her mother gripped her hand from the driver’s seat as they pulled onto the highway, “It’ll get better honey, you’ll see.”

           The remainder of the car ride was silent between the women. When they pulled into the driveway Natalie noticed her father and another man on the roof of the home together.

           “What are they doing up there?” She asked her mother.

           “Oh, your father has been redoing the roof, and Scott has been helping him.”

           “Scott? As in Scott from school?”

           Her mother nodded in response. Natalie slid out of the car as her father was making his way off the roof.

           “There’s my girl!” He called to her.

           “Hi, Dad.”

           She followed her parents into the house. Natalie dropped her duffle bag near the door and took a seat at the counter. Her father rested against the counter and stared at her apologetically, “I’m sorry, Nat.”

           “I’m okay, Dad, really.”

           “You know, you should consider writing again. I know you wanted to do the editing and publishing side of things. You’re a good writer though Nat, maybe this is a good opportunity for you to learn more about yourself and recreate your life.”

           “Yeah,” was all she could manage to say.

           “We prepared a room for you honey, it’s your old room.” Her mother said as she began prepping food.

           Without saying another word Natalie retrieved her duffle bag and made her way to the back bedroom. It looked nothing like her old room. They’d repainted and added extra windows and French doors going out into the backyard. The room had become a study of some sort. A futon was set up off to the side for her to sleep on. She dropped the bag onto the bed and slumped down onto the lumpy futon. It was a hard pill to swallow, the reality that she was jobless, single, and living at home with her parents. She thought more about what her father said about her writing. It had been years since she had written anything. She’d spent the last few years reading manuscripts and fetching coffee for supervisors. Writing could be a way for me to get through this mess, she thought.

           “Natalie! Dinner!” Her mother called. She groaned at the sound and thought about the last time she heard her mother’s call for dinner. She was fifteen and in high school.

           Natalie trudged into the dining room. Her father and mother sat next to each other, and across from them sat Scott.

           “Oh, Scott! I didn’t realize you were staying for dinner.” Natalie said in surprise.

           “He’s been helping a lot with renovations around the house, so I like to make him dinner as a thank you.” Her mother said.

           Natalie took the seat next to Scott. He looked the same way he did in high school, only with a beard and more muscles. She felt her cheeks warm when their eyes met.

           “I’m sorry about what happened,” he said. “Your parents sort of filled me in.”

           Natalie shot a look in her parent’s direction and said, “I’ve been told everything happens for a reason.”

           Scott chuckled, “That’s the thought process that got me through my breakup with Becca.”

           “You and Becca aren’t together anymore?”

           Scott shook his head, “We split up two years ago. We were together for about eight years.”

           “Was it hard?” Natalie asked.

           “I had to start right back at square one. I was working for her dad and our breaking up ruined that. We bought a house together, and I ended up losing that. Then I lost the only person I’d spent a significant amount of time with as well. It sucked.”

           Natalie looked at her parents and back down at her plate. Scott had gone through a similar situation, and he seemed to be doing okay.

           “What did you do to get through it?”

           “I started my own business, which is something I’ve always wanted to do. I do home renovations and improvements, hence why I’ve helped your parents out so much. I also bought my own house.”

           “Are you seeing anyone?” Natalie’s mother chimed in. Natalie felt her cheeks get hot.

           Scott let out a laugh and shook his head, “No. I am still a bachelor, but I’m happy.”

           Scott and Natalie had spent dinner catching up. Her parents occasionally joined the conversation but made it a point to leave her and Scott to themselves. By the time he left, Natalie felt better about the situation. The world no longer felt as though it were ending. There was a light at the end of the tunnel. Scott had said something to her before he left, just because a house looks a certain way doesn’t mean it has to stay that way. Change can add value. Natalie thought about the life she had built in the city and wondered if she was ever happy. The more she thought about the more she realized things were missing. She constantly picked work over her personal life trying to get the promotion, to the point she couldn’t remember the last time she went on a date with Luke. She couldn’t remember the last time she got a decent night’s sleep or ate a meal like she had with her parents.

           She rummaged through her duffel bag and pulled out a pen and notebook. It was used to take notes about manuscripts, but now it would have a new purpose. She flipped it open to a blank page and across the top wrote Chapter One. Things may not have ended up the way she expected them to, but being back at square one gave her a whole new opportunity to build a new life for herself.

April 21, 2023 03:10

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

S N
22:03 Apr 25, 2023

I really enjoyed the introduction of Scott as a romantic prospect (romance is my jam!). Double points for him being able to relate and give our girl Nat hope that what goes down can come up again, better and stronger.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jenn Harbour
18:16 Apr 21, 2023

Beautiful story of starting back at square one!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.