The scientific portal

Submitted into Contest #30 in response to: Write a story in which someone finds a secret passageway.... view prompt

1 comment

Mystery

"Grab your coat, it is cold outside." Ruth said to Tom.

"I no longer need a coat," he said as he wraps his neck with a homemade scarf.

"This scarf holds all of the answers; it is like I hear the voice of the woman who made it. She said the weather is wrong. I just know I will not need it at 40 degree weather."

As the day progressed he proved to be correct.

After hanging the scarf on the door knob back inside his house, Tom walked to the couch and sat next to his cat. Scanning the room for self discovery, he saw a cat toy lying next to the television stand. Tom grabbed the toy, rolled it in cat nip and watched his cat have fun.

Wondering about that same result, Tom began to collect the cat nip, packed the makeshifted apple pipe, lit the cat nip, and immediately felt the affects.

Firstly, the taste was unheard of and was nothing like smoking the real weed.

Next, the inhale gave a rush to Toms' brain, and he experienced hallucinations. Beginning to scan the room for more self discovery, there was a shoe. The shoe was sitting in the house next to the front door. Picking up the shoe, Tom noticed something off about it. Not only was it sitting solo, but the sole of the shoe was halfway off.

Tom was obsessed with shoes like most women. He tried taking care of them so that they always looked brand new. However, this shoe caught his attention because it was not his own.

He sat there, staring at the shoe examining the sole that was coming apart. As it lifted, so did his imagination.

There it was; a key hole the shape of a clover.

St Patrick's day was coming up next month and Tom knew that the popular stores would not carry anything of a clover shaped key that accesses a shoe. Their decorations, headbands, and ties, none of it would be as unique as this. Something that led to another world or dimension.

Tom got up quickly, walked to the front door, grabbed the scarf and wrapped it around. This was all in Hope's while still tripping, that the woman who made the scarf would tell him, in detail, how or where to find the key - the proper key shaped like a clover.

"Tom I think you were already tripping even before the shoe. Did you hear yourself this morning? You thought the scarf could talk to you; a woman talked to you?" Ruth explained in hope's of an answer that made sense.

"Ruth it is real. Look I will put on this scarf and she will tell me where to find the key."

He sat there for about fifteen minutes and nothing happened. Nothing was said or thought. Tom felt embarrassed but Ruth was embarrassed as well because she wanted to believe in Tom and what he was saying.

The next day Tom put the scarf back on while no one was around and the woman spoke. "Follow the yarn traveling a path to another side."

He scanned the room, yet again, and saw no yarn. Tom began to look around searching and searching he finally discovered the yarn. It had been placed in the attic on top of a bookshelf. The yarn was a mustard yellow color and led to a hollow book on the shelf, called Huckleberry Fin.

With this hollow book was a clover shaped key that after being brought back to its master (the shoe) could open a portal to the unknown.

Tom gathered the shoe, gathered the key, and he picked up his cat.

As he inserted the key into the shoe, a blue light illuminated the room and the cat jumped from his hands. Stepping into a new reality was like stepping through Willy Wonka's front door, or even quite possibly shrinking and traveling through Alice in Wonderlands' small microscopic door. On the other side of the door was a huge road that ate the bad qualities of a human and replaced these qualities with creative ideas in order for there to be scientific research, which allows us to progress in many different ways.

The toad, at first, scanned Tom's body with its tongue, large enough to lick his head fully when the test of Tom's body shook vigorously as if an induced seizure. This allowed the toad to access his physical bodys' qualities and then access his brain waves and thoughts.

Tom's larger than normal feet disappeared and was replaced with an ability to walk from New York to North Carolina where his sister lived. This ability to walk so far was important because it gave strength and willpower to make a difference.

Next, was his long hair. The road shaved it off completely and gave Tom the ability to understand world war II veterans. With this understanding he could develop machinery that protected his homefront from outside intruders and the ability to know what the Jewish community had experienced. With that ability, Tom could further his religious understanding and comprehension.

Tom decided as his body was being scanned, that he wanted to name this toad. Oliver. It was a quaint name. Sounded prestigious. However, brought laughter to Tom when he thought about it. Perfect.

Lastly, Oliver scanned Toms' brain.

The first change he made was Toms' ability, or lack of, to read. Tom was a slow reader and his comprehension was horrible. So, in order to improve Tom, Oliver gave him the ability to comprehend anything he read, which also, parallel, gave him a better way to problem solve.

The second change Oliver began to scan Toms' brain was his lack of accepting that things cannot always be changed. By accepting things the way they are allows for more creative ability. More so believing in the self, allowing for more happiness and bringing liberation into the self. Furthermore, brings courage and allows the self to take chances. These changes, then allow for those more creative ideas.

Oliver released his mind, released his body physically, allowing for Tom to return back to his reality and back through the door.

After a journey such as this Tom never found a desire to smoke cat nip again. He found that his creative ideas were within this door, but also with the scarf.

Every weekend he would take a trip on the other side of the blue light, making him the lead scientist at NASA.

This passageway was growth.



February 23, 2020 22:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

04:15 Mar 05, 2020

I'll admit this story is kinda confusing for me to read.I feel like you should treat the reader as an adult in your writing and make it more interesting by hinting what is going on. Further more, in one paragraph the toad keeps being misspelled as Road. I decided to read this work twice and I feel some things could be omitted, or reworked to feel more like it's part of the story. For example, I think the Toad could have had their powers described with more mystique.. and I feel that the woman-scarf thing should be explained more..who is...

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.