Opening eyes to the fears

Submitted into Contest #33 in response to: Write a story about a character making a big change.... view prompt

1 comment

General



Cobwebs lowered as if it were to trap some unexpected person and feast delightfully on it. The spiders scuttled strangely as if they were being stalked in the midst of dark shadows covering the underground tench like a blanket of poison. Fresh air escaped this evil wrath whilst mysterious sounds of tapping hit violently against the sharp, uneven brick wall. Soon this unexpected rhythm turned into scrapings until it dropped silent; everything was dead. The aroma of freshly sliced creatures wafted about the underground “ holiday camp”. Carriages wheeled past turbulently, horses neighed disturbed by the looks of foundlings in the lower class living ways.I thought back at what the girls were doing, the orphanage never let the girls take a break from working; scrubbing, cooking, cleaning, and much more for an appetite of destruction. However on the other hand, the boys had to train for their future in being soldiers. Our fates were decided, girls were to become servants and boys were to become soldiers. Either that or work in the workhouse. My charcoal, dusty black hair clinged onto the mouldy walls for support. They didn’t seem to be walls anymore, it was as if the soldiers took shelter here during the war. My eyes stung as the dirt and dust migrated to the jet black bullet pierce in the centre of my eyes. Or as I was instantly reminded of matrons scolding, triggering ways. I stared deeply at the ground, reflecting on my plans, but there was no use, I could never escape. I had to face my resolution; the paths of freedom had been taken away. 

Matron was going to sell me to Sir Ferdenson and I could do nothing; I was going to have the same path as anyone else. My dreams of adventures were just going to have to wait. Many children had left throughout my 14 years at this prison and I never knew today was my day, matron knew me and so she locked me up. Maybe it was fate? Nonetheless, I could still have feel a tingle of adventure running up my whipped spine. Rumour had it that that Ferdenson’s Hall was cursed, in 1947 a rich mad uncle Monty brought many diamonds and one of which contained a curse which took over the house. This left devastating effects and consequences. My head shook in despite of this unthoughtful act, my head throbbed and felt sore. Suddenly I realised matron looked down at me , perfectly amused at my horrendously beaten face, “ Get up and walk, one word from you and your disgusting mouth, I will slap you. Now, Mr and Mrs. Ferdenson are waiting for you and those wretched kids and expect you on your best behaviour, my reputation is at stake..” She eagerly implied, adding another set of burning lethal acid.. 

As  soon as I packed my belongings, Gideon, Jack, Harriet and me pelted down the flight of stairs.. At least I wouldn’t be loosing my best friends, we were like a rib of steel fighting through the roughest times and places. We were all going to The Ferdenson’s House and whilst we were there we were going to free the house of the curse. We greeted The Ferdenson’s and sat in the carriage; the seats and cushions were covered in rich red velvet and soft fabric. “You are going to have the best time at the house, work your socks off and your in for a prize!” Squealed Mrs Ferdenson but soon sat quietly after Mr. Ferdenson’s glare.


We reached The Hall and we were met by staff which were all skinny and scrawny. On top of the staff we were met with rules and boundaries which were much more nicer and easier for us. However one person shone, Flo, not in the bright type of shine, the dark, troublesome shine. We were given a whole days worth of relaxing and easing in until a hardcore lifetime of slavery. Gideon and Jack shared one room whilst me and Harriet and me shared another. The rooms were like boxes but were a reasonable size unlike in our other dorm rooms; no leaks, no mice, no damp and no brutal cold wind slapping you. I couldn’t wait for my new life here. 

Harriet smiled a big smile and I knew what was coming, “ Let’s visit the boys and formulate a plan, come on please, you would never get this chance at the orphanage”. After what seemed like an hour, we sneaked off to their room. The hallway was pitch black, and the sounds of the curse travelled through the house. I lit my candle and tried to make as little noise as I could. This old house made enough noise as it could. We could feel a dark figure opposite us, I put my candle forward and Harriet his behind me. My legs wobbled like jelly and her hair tumbled forward and her face came forward. We met eye to eye and she pulled the cloak off of her face revealing the most ugliest face I would never have wanted to see ever again. “ MATRON!” I squealed in agony. She covered my mouth in hope of of not awaking anyone. Her warty nose wobbled in the moonlight, she whispered (adding a mixture of flying) spit in my ear, “ I am only here for a night and I need you to keep me hidden, I am looking for something that rightfully belongs to me”, she stared deeply into my eyes hypnotising me to say yes. And I did but what other option did I have? We led matron to our room and Harriet trembled at the sight of her. Matron slept on the far end and me and Harriet shared the other bed.


I woke up, relighting my candle clearly it had just been about 10 minutes or so. I looked over at matrons bed and she wasn’t there. I knew what the answer was; matron was hunting down the cursed diamond. Well not if we could get there first. I woke Harriet and the boys, we walked down to the basement and admitting the truth we didn’t know where it actually was. Last we checked, the diamond was hidden in Uncle Montys apartments; check in his portrait the clue had said in the book of treasures. We had to just find the right room. Every room we entered contained nothing but boxes but one looked peculiar, as if it were a ‘fake room’. We searched the room cautiously, I knocked on the walls and a light echo travelled through, it was cardboard. “Come in guys, Gideon grab that shovel and Jack grab the candle please, on 3 hit the shovel against the wall, 1,2,3!” My intentions were as clear as water. The wall burst open as if the tide broke the wall. Jack stepped in side. We coughed and choked on the dirt. I grabbed my candle and we stepped inside. Was that Matron, if not then who was it? I put my hands around feeling for something but all there was, was large objects like paintings. I opened my eyes in hope. There he was, Uncle Monty. “Come on then, let’s search” exclaimed Jack.

“We have reached the jackpot guys!” Laughed Gideon happily. 

“ Someone’s there I think” quivered Harriet anxiously.

“ nobody’s there just stop fuss…” I argued but something was hiding behind a desk. 

The desk contained files of some sort and pieces of metal were cluttered around the floor. 


In the twilight the loose pieces of fabrics were muted hues, as if they too awaited dawn to ignite their colours for all to see. The dark room was like a place out of time, a place to rest without consequence. The darkness in that way was sanctuary, a place to recharge and forget the things the world said had to be done. 


My heartbeat was all I could hear and feel as I waited for someone to speak. I wanted to breath appropriately so badly, but knew if I took faster and deeper breaths, matron would look at me. I became weaker at the knees as my body reacted to the lack of oxygen, it was so hard for me to hold myself up with all this shaking.why couldn’t I stop? I could just manage to start breathing normal when matron smiled, a very terrifying smile. I stopped breathing all together but the silence was unbearable. I needed more information as to why matron had come here. My heart sank. A tear ran down my face as I dropped to the floor sobbing like an absolute baby. Matron made me feel upset. I stood up as Jack came over and hugged me. He wiped the tears off of my face. Matron started her long speech until the end “ You and Jack would have made a good couple if you would have stayed at the orphanage, but you decided to become a hassle. Then you moved here.” 


She stepped towards me, Jack protected me until a whistle screamed out aloud. Who was that? Were we going to get caught? The police ran inside taking matron down to the ground.” No, You stupid, ignorant foundlings I will get you and kill you. You could have let me take it but you came in you pesky kids!” Screamed matron taking the pain from the police. We all stood there in shock of what had just happened 

We all hugged each other happily and cried our hearts out. The constable stood up and took us out of the room where we were met by Mr and Mrs Ferdenson. They took us upstairs to where they congratulated us on protecting them and the house. We went back to bed until we awoke to reach down stairs and grab the jewel. I had figured it out, the clue had said to look inside the painting, we ripped open the back of the painting. Gideon reached his hand inside to pull out a small golden key which was rusty and the colour had peeled off. “What are you hiding Monty,” I anxiously whispered to the portrait of Monty.


This meant the diamond had to be behind a locked door, we felt around every cobwebbed brick caged in . Harriet felt around the bricks whilst we looked for clues inside the drawers; the files told us of the wild nights of Monty and the jewels he owned were over 1000 pounds which was even more than the 5 shillings we earned. 



Until Harriet pushed a brick which slid through and broke a bunch of rocks revealing a small hidden door, we grabbed he key and twisted the doorknob. We wished it would open hoping that this didn’t lead to failure and a dead end. The door creaked open as we crawled inside. Suddenly my dress ripped into a sharp tear and glass pieces stuck into my thigh: “ Help my leg! There’s a glass pieces stabbed inside”, I pulled the large piece out whilst Jack gave his apron to me to cover myself. I bled a river and couldn’t walk. My blood stained my patched apron and it poured my blood out leaving me shaky and dizzy. I felt my head lower whilst my energy drizzled out. I sat on the side leaning up to see a golden slim desk with the most beautiful diamond. It looked beautiful until its curse unleashed itself. The diamond was rare as it was a light blue and had a sparkling shimmer. It was translucent and made of pure carbon. 


Jack lifted me up so I could pick up the diamond, I picked it up and threw it on the floor, a wave of show hit my fingertips running to my brain. “ You okay, don’t worry I won’t leave you” softly spoke Jack. Gideon grabbed the hammer and broke it into tiny shattered pieces. Smoke filled the air and seeped into my lungs. We coughed because of the swirls of lethal gases. We ran outside and took ourselves quietly up the stairs. Although nothing had looked like it changed, this changed everything and set a better life for everyone. We fell asleep as dead as the night. Not a single sound escaping Monty's apartment. I could feel my energy levels low.


The next morning I woke up light headed but excited to meet Jack again. I put on my apron and ran down the steps. I could feel the cut on my leg, but somehow it was stitched. Jack stood outside holding a bunch of flowers, the fresh flowers were blooming, the birds were chirping and the sun was beaming down through the leaves of the trees. The bark had moss climbing onto it. Jack had a smug, cute smile. Gideon hugging Harriet with joy. The bells rang for service and Gideon and Harriet left us. I was confused as to why Gideon winked at Jack. Jack took my hand and led me to the bench. We sat down onto its smooth wooden surface. The rain spattered from the leaves onto the water fountains. The twinkling sun reflected onto the sun glazed windows of the shed  contained with overgrown plants curling itself around twigs clattered about. 


Suddenly, the peace was driven away and died out by the one person I never wanted to set my eyes on; I thought the curse had gone. There stood Flo, hands by her hips. “You guys are sitting out here holding hands, Jack , are those flowers for me?” she viciously said.

She took the flowers off of Jack. He snatched them off of her, “ For crying out aloud. Do you not get tired of sticking yourself into other people’s business? These are for Hetty and not for you.” 

“ Well she isn’t any different from me and didn’t you do the same for me?” she deliberately said, leaving me bewildered and upset. 

Jack faced me, his face trembling with fear, “ This is not what it looks like Hetty, she is lying to you.”

I couldn’t face it, this was all the torture I wanted to get away from but it just stood awake. I ran, I knew Flo was probably standing there with a proud look. As I stood in my tracks I turned to see what they were doing, but that was not the case, Jack was sitting face down but with Flo missing. Where could she had gone? I couldn’t care any less. I walked inside with my face covered in tears. Gideon and Harriet walked past staring at me.

“ what’s wrong Hetty,” softly spoke Harriet.

As I spoke Jack arrived, his hand on my shoulder. So he thought he could create a fake plan with me and run away with Flo. I shoved his hand off of me, clearly showing tension. I walked off putting a stop to this drama. I met my list of jobs, cooking dinner, more cooking and even more. This meant I did not have to face Jack when getting the ingredients  from the wooden penthouse. Flo walked in, obviously happy by the trouble caused. 

“ Flo, could you please get some ingredients from the penthouse for me,” I exclaimed nervously.

“ well you have clearly got legs, so use them!” she shouted at the top of her shrieks. 

Completely baffled, I walked over to the penthouse. I could sense someone following me, but took no notice. The ingredients list was more than a little and less than a lot. As I collected the herbs, Jack walked in, facing me.

“ Hetty” he whispered anxiously. I briskly ignored him aware of his presence.

He walked over, turning me around. He fiddled with his fingers, “ Hetty, please listen you know that I would never choose anyone over you.”

I looked up at his gleaming eyes, “ But Jack it isn’t just that, I mean look at you handsome, cute and beautiful, look at me ugly, ugly and ugly" I cried. 

“ Hetty you are not ugly and looking at you makes me feel overwhelmed, i do not fancy Flo. She is nothing compared to you.”

I planted a rosy quick dab on his smooth cheek. He wiped my tears away as we hugged. Flo walked in, clapping her hands as if this were a show. Did she have to turn up? 

“ You two are made for each other, look at you both cute and cuddly. I don’t know what to say.” 


Well that was weird. We resumed onto our work, Jack had left me to help Gideon. I collected the herbs and then the rest of the list: red peppers, lime, eggs, apples, berries and much more. As I lugged my basket around, I could smell something faint, a burning fire. The boys always burnt Atwood do it probably was them. Resuming back to work, I started coughing and my lungs were clogged with black smoke and harsh stings. I looked around everywhere; there was a fire. Not outside but in the penthouse. I could hear running and shouting in the distance. I screamed “ help, help I am in here" but there was no use. I searched around for an opening or opening of some sort. I threw down the basket, “ Hetty you in there" shouted one voice. 

Someone placed a ladder outside if the shed and I climbed over. My apron was burnt and my skin had sparks from the fire all over. 


Harriet ran over and took me inside. Where was Jack? We walked up to our room, I sat there amazed and my brain would have started exploding if I didn’t ask these questions. There were no answers to them. Jack ran inside, “ Hetty, Flo did it” 

“ what,” I asked. Wanting to take in more answers.

“ she put the shed on fire and she locked me in the storeroom, quick we need to tell Mrs. Ferdenson".

We ran down the steps, but there was no need, the constables were arresting her. Gideon, Harriet and Jack stood by me. We were true friends.

Jack walked me off to bed, “ I promise you I will always be by your side" he said. 

March 20, 2020 23:45

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Yoomi Ari
11:22 Mar 21, 2020

1st story I had ever written! Seems a bit cheesy to me at this point and age...🤪 It is what it is.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.