1 comment

Coming of Age Inspirational

“Om Namo Narayani”

The words hit me with an intensity from behind. Their awareness and familiarity swept through me as a wave of goosebump like energy enveloped me as I felt a part of me remembering and responding to these unfamiliar words. I whipped around to find their source.

An old man dressed in an orange cotton wrap contrasting his well-worn sandals against the maroon and gold thread embroidery at the base, took me by surprise. His cragged face wore the burdens of a harsh life, yet his eyes were hopeful as his smile widened. Eager to please, he opened the back door of the taxi beckoning me in with a rush of his gnarled hand.

Drawn to his smile, it appeared to be beaming brighter, and seemed to be radiating effortlessly out into the universe with such ease and grace. I was reminded of the cultural differences being mirrored back and I genuinely tried not to go into an inner dialog of criticism around it all and a definite determination not to judge.

The traffic quickly enveloped us into its cacophony of noise and blur of colour as we left the airport. Horns blaring, while others tooted their approach, encroaching into our space despite clear lane markings and exit signs to unfamiliar destinations of which I was yet to discover and would never have thought to venture into on my own.

It didn’t seem to matter what city or country I was in, there always appeared to be a clash of cultures in relation to wealth and kindness. Love and happiness always appeared in disproportionate amounts. Why was that? If you ask most people what they truly want, the reply is usually money, peace and happiness, so why was it all so elusive and somewhat hard to find for everyone?

As my thoughts wandered into the possibility of what that could be, I pondered, maybe happiness wasn’t as elusive as I first thought it to be. Maybe it was just buried in outdated expectations, laden down with despondency and a ton of disappointments, all of which I had moved on from or had I? Maybe this trip would provide me with some insights into it all at last!

I was tired, it had been a long trip, delayed by weather and a 6 hour wait for my interconnecting flight. I'd felt grimy, uncomfortable and irritable and had decided to take comfort in the short day-stay option at the airport. I was anxious and wary of my next flight one I would not have been charitable about if I happened to miss it. The warmth of the shower comforted my body as the unusual aroma of the soap and its suds washed away the grime of the previous eleven hours.  Room service responded quickly, yet I barely touched the food, I was simply too tired, deciding instead to prop myself up on bed with a mass of pillows and write a short spiel to my friends so they knew where I was if they needed to reach me before my next flight. I often wondered if they read what I wrote or just rolled their eyes at my next adventure and destination?

Porters lined the driveway as my taxi pulled into the porte-chochere of the hotel. Attentive and eagerly waiting new arrivals, their uniforms crisply ironed, buttons shone and caps firmly positioned on their heads along with their highly polished shoes reflecting the hotel on their surface, I finally relaxed.  The porters uniforms a complete contract to the taxi drivers, yet all had smiles as wide as the moon and happy to serve. Tired and thankful I had arrived, I was looking forward to my next 3 nights in one spot, as I was escorted into the foyer, my luggage secured onto a gold cart following respectfully behind.

“Om Namo Narayani”

There was that phrase again, totally unexpected, yet offered with the same enthusiasm as earlier as I approached the desk.

Clearly. I had no idea what they were saying, I was too tired to be polite and ask at this point in time, so I nodded and bowed my head as an acknowledgement. All I wanted was my room key, a hot shower, a bite to eat, bottled water and an aching desire for sleep.

I declined a wake-up call and breakfast in the morning, instead choosing a call at midday and a booked seat in the restaurant for the advertised buffet at one followed by an escorted shopping trip at two.

Airconditioning was a welcomed treat as I again stepped out of the heat of the day and in through the doors of the shopping centre. I hadn’t quite digested my lunch and the outside heat was affecting me more than usual, I hoped it wouldn’t be a problem, especially after having such a comfortable and restful sleep.

I had an agenda. I wanted cotton dresses with tights in different colours. A simple achievement I would have thought, yet one I did not accomplish. Tomorrow was another day.

I slipped into a world of uncertainty. One where you had to rely on other people for information and guidance, not easy when a head wobble could either mean a yes or a no at the same time, leaving you mildly, slightly or totally confused. It didn’t matter how you phrased the question, you could re-do it a million ways and you’d still receive the same head wobble, yet strangely I felt peaceful and like I was somehow home in this new environment.

Tired, I returned to the sanctity of the hotel, an oasis distanced from the busyness of the shopping centre and devoid of the honking horns on the streets. Grabbing a pencil from the foyer desk, I scrawled out my preference on a room service docket for dinner and handed it to a concierge as I made my way to the elevators. I’d decided to eat-in.

I had hit the ground running, trying to do too much when all I needed really was to slow down. Now even Einstein could have come up with that revelation without too much thought, given the current circumstances and my hurriedness to find clothes with which would help me blend into my new surroundings. I still had another two days before I needed to leave, surely, without too much effort I could find what I needed.

I always seemed to be going somewhere, for something, for someone, leaving little time for myself. This trip was different, it was all about ME! So me I did. 

I started the next morning with a leisurely swim in the hotel pool, actually it was more akin to a flop and drop, followed by a spa day inclusive of herbal teas, sumptuous lunch appropriate delicacies and the most delightful massage with unheard of oils, acupuncture and a reflexology session my feet didn’t know how much they needed until they had one.

It was almost on a whim that I booked this trip. India! Why India my friends quizzed? My answer, because I can, but it was far more than that. It had been a lifetime in the making.

I had become used to greeting people with “Namaste” when I met them, however “Om Namo Narayani” was still a little elusive and couldn’t quite nail down its origin and meaning, let alone remembering it or its pronunciation and please don’t ask me to spell it. All I managed to get was a head wobble and a knowing smile, not helpful! I knew I needed to be patient.

As I packed my bags, I was thankful for the quiet 3 day respite. I wasn’t looking forward to a taxi ride, going deeper into the country and another 3 ½ hours south-west of where I was currently located.

As I left the lobby, the new lunchtime crowd was being ushered in and entertained by the staff with their guest arrival dance along with their explanation of the buffet stations and foods available, and where any specific dietary requirements were catered for and easily found. I was looking forward to being back at this hotel in about two weeks’ time.

The taxi was pre-booked and due any minute to take me to my next stay, I just had to trust it would turn up and turn up it did, not at all I was used to in the western world. Fingers crossed it would make the distance.

The dash was filled with garlands and an elephant statute glued in place to stop it from sliding onto the floor, flowers placed at its feet and hung from all the mirrors and roof.  Twangy Indian music was blaring from all four open windows, I was hoping I could sleep, I was now sure that may not be a good idea.

Completely out of my comfort zone, I entered the taxi. The backseat was laden with an array of colourful sequined cushions and warm blankets. It was winter yet I was already overwhelmed with the morning’s heat and humidity, the blankets I surmised would not be needed unless a spring presented itself from the inner workings of the backseat.

The traffic was a sight to be seen leaving the city, everything from motorcycles with 5 passengers and goods, to horse drawn carts piled 10 feet high with hay, tourist buses, taxi’s, luxury cars and rust buckets. All heading out into the country and into the busyness of their workdays and lives, weaving around and amongst each other with ultimate ease and loads of horns tooting.

I was woken by the creaking of rusty hinges and hard to open doors on the taxi. The driver beaming his smile, I guessed thankful he didn’t have to shake me awake. It was a timely stop on our journey for some food and bathroom break and one I was grateful for out in the middle of nowhere, it was the only building in sight and I was thirsty. The land was flat and dry, cows slept under any shade they could find and water troughs seemed few and far between. The summer drought had hit hard and its effects were still being felt well into winter, hopefully rain would come soon, the country was praying for it, that much I knew.

India, a world of contrast and contradiction, the colour and the richness of the culture unique and vibrant yet clashed head on with poverty and health. It was hard for me as a westerner to digest, yet still I felt I was somehow connected and home.

After our stop, my education continued as I grappled with re-arranging myself and the contents of the backseat to make myself as selfishly comfortable as I could, given we had added a slab of bottled water to the mix.

Now that I was awake, I didn't know what to expect, the driver was happy to tell me stories of the deities and how they came to be and what you could call on them for. Mantras were chants and seemed tied to specific deities and areas in your life you wanted help with. I took it all in my stride.

As I arrived at my destination for the next two weeks, I was greeted with smiles and happy faces. Colourful mandalas were painted on the driveway in coloured chalk and changed daily. Garlands and flowers were everywhere. The gardens lush and green surrounding the temples and hotel frontage and staff spilled out under the portico to greet new arrivals.   

My next two weeks at the Ashram were varied. Time for devotion, service and self-reflection with no exact time-table except divine time. Intuition seemed to flow effortlessly with incredible grace and eloquence and showed me what was possible.

Decorated elephants trumpeting to awaken the temples at dawn were a sight to behold, their trunks high over their heads as I sat only meters away having spent the previous hour chopping fruit on the floor of that temple as an offering for the Goddess.

I came to learn the meaning of “Om Namo Narayani” and so much more. What I had first heard all those months ago, was a powerful greeting and extensive teaching of humility, grace and surrender and so much more to the soul. A true gift of Grace especially if you were in the presence of Divine Mother when She greeted you with it.

I felt connected, I felt in a strange way I had come home.

My way is not for everyone, we all have our own journey back into unity and our life is that journey. Our trials and tribulations, our learning, our responses, responsibilities and reactions.

For me I found my heart in the Mantras and chanting, in energy healing and our chakral system, in nature and our connection to the land, air and water. In our connection with humanity and humility, kindness and love, peace and prosperity and to all things, we are not separate, we are one.

To all I say: May you find your heart, your worth, your purpose and a deeper meaning and connection with love. May love guide you home with ease and grace, no matter what that looks like to others, it will always be a unique path just for you to find home.

“Om Namo Narayani” 

December 29, 2023 13:49

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Aanya Rampuria
02:50 Jan 05, 2024

Hi Stephanie! I'm pleasured to have read your story; an inspiration it was indeed. Aside from some grammatical errors throughout the piece, I found your submission to connect with the audience in multiple ways. I love the way you subtly hinted at the westerner's arrival in India by describing the scenery, the people there, and India's various customs and culture. (As soon as I read the first sentence-or-two, I had a clear idea, but the paragraphs that followed really built upon it!) Your descriptive imagery definitely helped imagine the set...

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.