1 comment

Drama Romance Suspense

Zoe awoke in a king sized bed with no idea how she arrived there. A tall man approached the bed. Zoe shook.

"It's alright. This is a glass of water."

"How did I get here? Who are you? What's going on?"

The tall blonde man sat at the end of the bed.

"First, this is a glass of water. I usually give people Gatorade but the concierge isn't back with it yet. My name is Scott. Do you remember anything at all?"

"I remember going to a club by myself. I remember going to the bathroom and asking the bartender to watch my stuff. It was busy in the club so.."

"You don't think he did what you asked?"

"No. It's my fault. I shouldn't have gone there by myself but I go out by myself all the time. This isn't anything new for me."

"Where was this club?"

"My hometown, a small town outside of Lansing."

Scott looked at Zoe.

"Do you remember how you got to Las Vegas?"

"I'm in Vegas?! How'd I get here?!"

"I don't know. You only remember waking up here from a club in your hometown two thousand miles away? Do you remember meeting anyone?"

"I don't know."

Zoe started to sob. Scott reached for her.

"No. How do I know you didn't do anything? Tell me what you know. How did I end up here?"

Scott sighed.

"I'll start at where I fit into this. I often get invited to social events hosted by friends. I have one such friend, Jalal Abadi. He runs some high class dating service. He'd been trying to get me to attend one of his matchmaking soirees. After a lot of begging, I decided to go. He pulled me into a separate room. It was dark and there were other wealthy men, such as myself, in the room. There, Jalal and his brother Kazim. It was there I noticed all these women, half out of their minds."

"Was I one of those women?"

"I was getting to that. Kazim brought you to the circle. He showed off all your features. Something inside of me, I don't know what, told me I needed you by my side. Something inside me told me you didn't belong there. Your spirit was too.. strong willed and courageous to be there. When bidding got to be.."

"Bidding? What do you mean?"

"Bidding, as in.. Apparently Jalal and Kazim sold women to men like me."

"What kind of man are you?"

Scott attempted to explain as the phone rang. He answered.

"Yes. Thank you, Gabriel. I appreciate your speed. The woman? She's better since the kind doctor told me what happened. I'm making sure the police know what happened. I'm getting bits and pieces. I swore to you and the others I'd protect her until she remembers. If she doesn't remember everything, then I guess I'm stuck with a beautiful woman as arm candy to spoil the rest of this venture, wouldn't you say?"

Scott laughed.

"I haven't received her name. I'm gaining her trust. This whole ordeal must be frightening from her side. I only attended this charade and I don't want to recall everything. I'll tell her, Gabriel. Thank you."

Scott ended the call and replaced the receiver.

"Who was that?"

"That was Gabriel, the head manager. First, he wants to say he's here to assist you in anything you need. Second, I've had the pleasure of him helping me locate a doctor to treat your injuries."

"Injuries?!"

"Yes, according to the kind female doctor, you sustained a cracked rib and some lacerations. I have no markings so I can only presume I didn't inflict those injuries. Trust me, I only inflict injuries on willing participants."

"What do you mean?"

"As I was going to explain when you asked what kind of man I am, I am a Dominant. I tend to specialize in bondage but I'm a benevolent enough man to understand my subs."

"What's a sub?"

"Submissive. I'll explain everything as soon as I get to the crux of what my piece in this whole thing is. Jalal and Kazim know what men like me look for and often obtain what we want. Thing is, I didn't want anything. I haven't for months. I went to this party to make everyone stop talking about me. When Jalal motioned to me that he had something special, I went. I saw what they did to those women.. My protective instincts kicked into high gear. Then I saw you. Something was different. Your makeup was a mess. You looked in pain. I bid a million and a half dollars to get you out of that place. Jalal grinned like the Cheshire cat. I took pictures of you."

"Oh my God!"

"I didn't take anything provocative. I primarily took pictures of your wounds. I sent them to a detective friend of mine. I gave that detective all the information I could get from anything you had. They're trying to piece things together. Now that you're coherent and awake, I'd like to know what you remember."

Zoe shuddered.

"I don't wanna remember anything."

"Really?"

"I've been on my own since I was twelve. My life wasn't great. I remember things in flashes but nothing worthwhile. My brain doesn't work like everyone else. I guess you can say I've been alone and liked it. Anyway, I remember getting dressed up for a friend's party at the club. I think it was called Flash something. Anyway, I asked her to watch my stuff. She bartended that night. I remember some guy with an accent and long hair in either a man bun or a ponytail talking to me in some middle eastern accent. He told me his name but I forgot it. I got up to go to the bathroom. I came back and bumped into another guy. I apologized and sat down in my spot. The first man spoke to me and I drank my Southern Comfort Sour. I started feeling hot and tired. Then I don't remember anything until I woke up here."

"You put up quite a fight from the look of you."

"I don't know what I can do."

Zoe looked down at her clothes.

"How'd I get these and how'd I get them on?"

Scott laughed.

"I bought the clothes from the gift shop. I had the doctor dress you."

"Where are the clothes I came in?"

"Evidence in an investigation, I'm afraid."

"This is a holy fudgin' nightmare."

"It's going to be okay. You're in the best hands you could be, considering the rest of the women."

"Should I ask?"

"It's better you don't."

Zoe looked at Scott.

"What were you saying about a Dominant?"

"Yes, I was getting to that. In my particular circle, I'm a Dominant. Further, I'm a Master. My submissive, my late wife, surrendered everything to me. The only time I ever did any kind of 'harm', she allowed it. I knew when to stop. I'm what people in my circle call a Rigger. I love bondage that involves ropes and suspension."

"I can't even think of that right now."

"I wouldn't let you. You're in no shape. You need at least a few weeks to heal. Then, if you felt like you were comfortable, I'd sit down and go over an entire list with you. There's a protocol and process to the life."

"What do you do, if you don't mind me asking, that you could afford me at a million and a half dollars? Who, by the way, determined I was worth that? I'm not much. I'm a disabled, displaced, sassy, spunky, incredibly smart twenty-eight year old.."

Zoe started to cry.

"Don't. We all make mistakes." Scott said.

"I shouldn't have made this one. God how could I be so dumb?"

"How about you tell me why you said that?"

Zoe looked at Scott.

"At twelve, my mom passed away. My father didn't want me. I ended up in about a dozen foster homes. Each one worse than the last. I aged out at seventeen and been taking care of myself."

"Sounds difficult."

"Oh, it is. I'm usually smarter than this. God."

Tears welled in Zoe's eyes.

"Listen, I know it's not much but how about I let you stay with me until you can fly back to wherever you live."

"That's the thing. I lived with the girl bartending. I don't know if I want to go back to that."

"Fair enough. I can give you whatever you think you need to start over wherever."

The phone rang one more time.

"Hello, This is Scott Graves. You actually have leads on where Jalal and Kazim Abadi are. I'll make sure I get her information and not let her out of my sight. Thank you Detective Monroe."

Scott ended the call.

"What was that? The police know where these monsters are."

"They're tracking a few leads."

Zoe looked at Scott.

"So, you're a movie star." Zoe said.

"Yes. My question is, who are you?"

"My name is Zoe Fitzgerald... as far as it says on my birth certificate. I'm twenty eight. I lived in Michigan, where I was a cashier at a grocery store. Recently, been fired cashier. I went to get my mind off all of that and well.. here I am."

Scott smirked.

"Sounds like something you wouldn't want to go back to anyway,"

"Not really,"

"How about you stay with me for a while, until you're healed and we'll go from there."

"I'd like that. After all, no one else seems to think I'm worth fifty cents let alone nearly two million dollars."

"I consider that an investment. Besides, I think you're cute."

Zoe blushed.

"Not too many women blush anymore. It's quite charming."

"Thanks."

A knock on the door surprised them.

"Room Service!"

"Finally, the Gatorade and food arrived. Wondered how long it would take."

"Food?"

"Yeah, I don't know what you like so I ordered everything not fish."

"Good. I can't eat fish."

They both laughed as Scott handed the waiter a one hundred dollar bill and motioned for quiet.

"Anything, Mister Graves. Good night."

The two ate peacefully until the clock struck twelve.

January 05, 2021 12:05

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

KED KED
16:04 Apr 13, 2021

An interesting story with excellent detail! You write dialogue exceptionally well... Great flow! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.