0 comments

Fiction Fantasy

Everything was ready for the ritual. 

Except the cheesecake.

Sure there were fancy black tallow candles and circles had been drawn with expensive chalk. But who honestly thinks they can summon the overlord without a good cheesecake.

The type didn’t matter, the overlord had no tastebuds so you could stick some melted cheese on ground up bricks and he wouldn’t be able to tell the difference. So there was no reason why they hadn’t bought a cheesecake or made one. Not even a mini one. 

Nat sighed as she walked towards the shop. But that was the problem with the newbies, they didn’t understand that things needed to be done whether or not there was a clear reason. Back when Nat had been a newbie, forgetting the cheesecake was a swift road to being kicked out, alas there weren’t enough members to do that anymore and the newbies were prone to protest at the smallest provocation. Five had left this week because we weren’t complying with ‘the minimum wage’. If they wanted a wage they should have gotten a real job. 

Nat strode into the shop and looked over the rows of cakes, biscuits, Caesar salad and pastries until her eyes finally settled on the cheesecakes. Selecting the cheapest, she moved to the cash register. 

“That time of year is it?” Nat bit down a sharp reply to the woman’s casual dismissal of the overlord’s summoning. 

“Yeah. That time of year.” Nat said through gritted teeth. 

“I do hope you’re treating Paul alright. Has he made any friends? Also Lidia says she’s sorry she couldn’t make it today, but she’ll be around next year.”

“Just give me the cheesecake.” Nat slammed the coins on the counter, grabbed the cheesecake and swept out of the room.

She fumed as she stalked across the cobbled square. Paul was going to have an earful when she got back. Was the only reason he was there to get friends? If so there was no reason for him to stay. Nat opened the door, it was still covered in red peeling paint, she would get around to that next year. The door swung open to reveal the dark and mysterious space… covered in streamers. The black tallow candles had been replaced with those fancy ones that billow different coloured smoke. Nat stared opened mouthed as the newbies danced to a band that sat in the summoning circle. Then her eye landed on the small wooden table. The rightful place of the cheese. The sacred table. Made from hallowed wood. On it was a cake. A strawberry cake. With pink fluffy frosting and fresh strawberries arranged delicately in a circle. 

The newbies hadn’t noticed her as she strode purposefully across the room and smashed her hand into the cake. Layers of blood like jam, pink cake and frosting, scattered around the room, finally bring attention to Nat. Her face was bright red and it didn’t help that a blob of frosting was sliding down her cheek like a mutant pink slug.

“What. Is. This?” She said trying to stay calm as a sea of lava boiled up inside her. No one spoke until Jake put his hand up.

“A party-pooper?” He tried, causing the tension to be released —for everyone but the still fuming Nat— and the Newbies to burst out with laughter. Nat moved over to him, slightly embarrassed that he loomed over her. 

“Haha so funny. I wonder how we ever did without you.” She hissed at him. “How about we find out? Get out!” With a smirk he sauntered out of the room. “What a jokester. Do we have any more among us?” She said turning to the once more tension filled room. “No? Ok. What is this?” She gestured to the room. 

“It’s summoning day.” Nat gave the speaker a long stare.

“Does anyone else have any information that I obviously didn’t know?” There was silence. She moved over to the speaker. It was Paul. “Have you made any friends, Paul.” Every word dripped with syrup as she made her way over. 

“Yes, miss.” 

“Are they good friends?”

“Yes, miss.”

“Well then I guess you completed your reason for being here. Leave.” Nat spun on her heel and stalked up to a person at random. “Ah Diana. How important is this ritual to you?” After a moment of struggling the pale girl answered.

“V-very important… the most most important part of my year.” Nat narrowed her eyes. 

“What are the most important items in the ritual?”

“The circle?” At Nat’s slight nod she continued. “The candles? …The rubber mask of dread?” Nat’s lips twitched hiding a smile. 

“One more thing.”

“The curtains? The runes around our necks?” She continued on eventually listing everything, but the cheesecake.

“This is what you need to learn.” Nat held the cheesecake up high so all could see. “The cheesecake is one of the most important components. We can not go without the cheesecake. Good job, Diana.” Diana sighed with relief. With this slight praise the tension of the others relaxed slightly. Nat moved up to another boy. 

“What are we doing here?” 

“Standing around waiting for you to finish.” 

“Well you don’t have to wait anymore. Out!” 

She moved on, asking questions and in most cases getting answers. When she’d been through everyone, only six of the seventeen newbies remained. All six looked jittery and glanced at the door, tensed and ready to flee. Nat stormed around, clearing the room of the streamers and fancy candles. She chased the band out with a stick and finally had the room back to its former self. 

“Who’s ready to summon the overlord?” Without waiting for an answer she put on the rubber mask of dread and began chanting. The others joined in, it was what you did. 

They chanted until their throats were sore. Yet there was no flash of blue lighting. The candles didn’t dramatically blow out and the summoning circle didn’t glow red hot. Just like every year, nothing happened. Nat took of the mask when her chanting became a pathetic croaking like everyone else’s. The six tried not to look at the tears welling up in Nat’s eyes as her cheeks reddened. Nat walked over the the old wooden table. She could remember a time when the ritual worked, when the candles went out and the circle glowed with eternal flame… she sat down on a stool and brought out a silver spoon. The six did likewise. The spoons had the moon eclipsing the sun. They’d all been given one when they joined. Nat make the first slice into the cheesecake and together they made the rest. Soon the most important tool of the ritual was gone and the six left Nat, who still sat, fingering her spoon. She sat there for hours. Until the janitor came in and cleaned up the ritual room, removing all trace of the ritual and preparing it for whoever had rented it next. 

October 29, 2021 21:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.