3 comments

General

Hello. I`m Asuka Kentaro, a slave of the dead. You see, I sold my soul to the devil some years ago and since then, I have been living in Hell and doing little things here and there for the devil. Most think that Hell is considered a bad place, well it sorta is, but I chose to be here. Most of the people who I`ve seen here since 2011 have been in prison for their whole life in the world above or did bad things to certain people. I`ve seen people who I have seen once before when I was still living. Most being the people I went to highschool with.

It's quite funny, honestly. I, on the other hand from all these losers, don`t get tortured. The devil gave me an option, either to keep my soul but be tortured alive, or sell him my soul and come down to Hell and be his slave of the dead. I chose to sell my soul because I couldn't take another day above ground. Life was terrible. 

You may be wondering how he gave me the options if he was in Hell. Well, once every year, you have to take a scenic tour of both Heaven and Hell. Both God and The Devil meet once a year to host this tour. We go through the scene of Hell and If The Devil recognizes you, it's not too good, that's why he gave me the option because he could read my mind and knew I had some business I wanted to finish. 

Most days, The Devil has me run errands around the place, but today he said he needs a huge favor so I'm currently on my way to his chamber. I walk silently down a dark corridor, the only audible sound being screams of men and women. A lot of the time, I find it quite entertaining down here. But sometimes it does get a little disturbing. Like, I don’t enjoy watching the burning. But sometimes it can be peaceful. 

One thing about Hell that is bad is that you cannot sleep. The Devil forbids sleeping, especially on the job, as for me. It sucks, but I ́ll live, just not literally. 

I continued to walk down the long dark halls until I reached his chamber, slowly entering. I can see that he was occupied, torturing a man, a young one. I hear him yell, ringing my ears in the cruel process. ¨You will burn, and everyone will watch you suffer as I slowly rip your throat out. That's what you deserve. Everyone here will see you in pain, more pain than you have EVER experienced.” My Masters deep, angry voice filled the room, bouncing off every wall. I cringed a little but smirked. I was never treated that way, he keeps me around. Like I said before, he has me run his errands; wrapped around my finger. He always gives me breaks, like I was on my break until I was called to this dark chamber. 

He glanced in my direction then stood off of his chair, which he calls his ́Throne’, which I must respect. And believe me, I give him all the respect he deserves. I mean he did get me out of living above ground, which was worse than this. Simply walking over to me, roughly shoving around the guy he was once yelling towards. ̈ ̈Oh hello, Ms. Kentaro. Lovely to see you. I need a favor, and it's a big one. MICHAEL, you’re off the hook...for now.¨ He threw the scrawny man forwards, the most devilish grin on his face. The man, quickly crawling away, groaned out in pain. 

Giving a light chuckle, I looked back towards the Devil himself. ̈ ̈Sir?¨ I waited for my favor to be requested, assuming I would have to burn someone myself. That's the only big favor I can think of. 

̈ ̈Asuka, this favor is very, very challenging. And as much as I hate to be the one to tell you, you have to go back above.¨ My jaw dropped as the words left his mouth, ̈There's a nasty woman, and I need someone to give her that option I gave you. Her sins would definitely help down here, but up there, it isn't going to help anything. So, I will give you your soul back, and you will go and do this. Only if you are 100% capable.¨ I nodded my head slowly as he stepped back towards his Throne.

  I watched as he creeped over to a safe on the wall, twisting the combination, being my birth year, 1995, and it popped open. He slowly pulled out a bottle, containing my soul. I released a breath that I didn't realize I was holding. I was terrified, it `s been a while since I sold him my soul. I sold it to him back in 2011. So I haven't been really `alive` since then. 

¨Yes sir, I`m capable.¨ I spoke as I grabbed the bottle and opened it, although I was hesitant, I slowly began drinking it, savoring every last bit. It tasted somewhat bitter, and sour, but the aftertaste was ever so sweet. I had never tasted a soul, obviously. A feeling of life rushed through my entire body, giving me a tingling feeling. 

¨Now, you remember how to use the magic I showed you, correct?¨ The Devil spoke ever so lightly. He was actually a nice guy, when it came to me anyways. I thought for a moment and shook my head No as I could not remember him teaching me any magic. I'm sure it wasn't necessarily magic, for say, but powers of illusion. ̈ ̈Okay, well, to resurface, you must meditate. But not before I give you this¨ He handed me another bottle, filled halfway with a slightly purple mixture. ¨This is to help ̈

I smiled lightly as I began slowly downing the drink, again, savoring every drop. This mixture was quite the taste, it was different. I closed my eyes and shook off the feeling it was giving me. Sitting down, the devil told me to relax and think only of resurfacing. He whispered slight whispers into my ears, one after another, giving me a feeling to make me resurfaced. My mind raced, feeling slightly light headed. 

Once I heard the word ´Open´, I slowly opened my eyes to see I was laying in the bed of my previous bedroom. The one I stayed in when I was alive. I looked around at my surroundings, everything in the exact place it had once been in. But, something felt a little different. Maybe it was just the new feeling. I shook the thought away and stood upon the old blue rug sprawled across the floor beside the white, antique bed. The floor creaked as I walked towards the old door, sending a chill down my spine. I slowly tiptoe into the hall, passing the mirror and seeing someone I didn't recognize; My reflection. I was a whole new person. Most likely because I resurfaced, but into another body. I no longer had my shorter, burgundy hair. I had long black hair. I no longer had bright green eyes, but they had been replaced by big greyish blue eyes. And I was no longer my taller, super skinny figure. I was shorter and of average weight.. Frankly, I was shocked at my new appearance. In all honesty, I believed I looked better. I look more healthy and happy, which is what I wanted. I smiled lightly and realized that I had braces. Silver and blue braces, which shined when the sun hit them through the glass in which I saw my reflection. 

A frown fell upon my features when I realised this wouldn’t last long. I only had a matter of time before I had to go back into the fiery chambers of my master. I looked deep within my own eyes and saw a deep shade of anger. I wasn’t sure why, but I knew I would soon. 

I slowly turned and took in the smell of the room in which I was standing; vanilla and coconut. I thought to myself how strange that was, since this house is many years old. I haven’t lived in this place since 2011, and no one in my family can know I’m here. It will cause far too much trouble with my Master and if that happens, lets just say I will no longer work for him. 

Creeping into the hallway, I seen the silhouette of my Master. For he was trying to communicate, I closed my eyes and listened. “ Asuka, I know I’m asking a lot of you. But, you have to change your full name. I give you a name; Kacelynn Grace Winters. It’s a rare first name, and which the full name doesn’t exist. I need you to find this lady. She has a son near your age and treats him wickedly. Her acts have no purpose to the world, but it sure will in Hell. “ He paused for a moment and I felt a cool breeze, meaning he had moved closer. “ This takes guts, kid. Do not mess up, or you’ll be in for it. But I doubt you will. She lives three blocks away. Here’s a paper, a message rather, for her. Don’t mess up.. “And with that he was gone, but on the floor lay a rolled note on a large, dirty paper. 

I slowly bent down to read it, and found it was only a quick few sentences. What it read caused me to gasp. “ Hello, Debby. Our annual scenic tour is in 4 days. I have sent my personal slave to meet with you. May you meet Ms. Kentaro in Central Park tomorrow at noon? Thanks for your obedience. - Satan “

I was shocked. I had no clue that our annual scenic tour was in 4 days, being Saturday. I usually had to walk a large group of people through our Hell scene every year since 2014 after 2 years of practice. I have no clue who will be there this year, nor do I know what to do. Well unless this Debby lady gives in, and I have to take her soul myself. In front of everyone. 

The thoughts roamed free throughout my mind for a while until I grew anxious to leave. Quickly walking forward, I have seen old photos of my family; my mother, stepfather, baby brother and twin sister. None of them know what happened to me, for none of us could go to the scenic tour at the same time. 

What happened that evening remains a mystery to all who weren’t there, and was sworn to secrecy from those who were attendants. None of my family know the hidden truth behind my disappearance. It was reported to them I was kidnapped, and had me killed. They kept looking although they knew I was gone forever, I still hate to this day that I hurt my twin sister. We were like the same person, and did everything together. Yet, I left her and the rest of my family. I had my reasons, yet they had no clue.

I shook the cruel thoughts away, looking towards the front door with the letter in my hands. With shaky hands, I grabbed the handle and opened the door to the outside world and felt a gust of cool air. It felt relatively nice compared to the weather I had been feeling in those fiery pits of burning Hell.


(Unfinished but too long)

October 15, 2019 15:31

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Efrat Rosen
16:37 Oct 26, 2019

Well, it could end up being a great story. But unfortunately, as you said yourself, it is undone. Well done anyway :)

Reply

Sarah Beal
14:12 Oct 30, 2019

Indeed. Thank you. I wanted a chance to share my story.

Reply

Efrat Rosen
15:53 Oct 30, 2019

You can look for sites that allow you to publish things. Unless you want only to publish a review for an upcoming book you have, you should search one of the sites, maybe. You may not earn... but if you just want people to read it, it should be good for you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.