Lost in the Labyrinth

Written in response to: Set your story in a labyrinth that holds a secret.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction Urban Fantasy Fantasy

Want to start off by saying; {there is something you need to know} when I was very little, I was born in a haunted house, but there is little history about me and the truth is {I’M Unique!} I was told that I was {Chosen}, to me my question is Why? My birth name is Kathy Frizzell… but I am known as Chantel.

But that is neither here nor there; I was chosen, to talk about this brings feelings that I should not be here, but I am” I had a double stroke and with lots of love have brought me to telling you my Story!

I always wanted to be a Writer; my role modules are {Stephen King and J.B. Fletcher}, back to when I told you that I had a double stroke, I was in College, now trying to find something to use my time useful and I choose to be a Writer!

Cold winter’s night; in a small inn, all you can hear is the whistling of the trees, and the sounds of the low growling but also the soft betting of drums… On a stormy night, creeped in a breeze, other than the sound of drums beating, and thunder roaring lighting shone the skies up.

In the moment; there was the sound of a crash, it broke the silence, but before I looked someone was looking down upon me and then it was gone. I want to start by saying there is something you need to know about this little town, and this is not any ordinary title town.

There are secrets, well some would say; {Rumors}, as some would say; this town is haunted, others would say: “to each is their own”, and the others have to have their own rights to their Believes!

Back to where I was, in a small Inn, snuggling in by the warm roaring fire, deep in thoughts, there was another Bang and thunder roaring louder. It chilled through my Bones; back to where I was, oh ya” curled with a roaring fire, sitting back, listening to the thunder, book on my lap, and now the clouds changing from gray to pure black.

In far distance there was shadow; piercing back in blink eye I saw nothing, was drifting asleep, the door swung open, 7” man dripping wet, stood in the inn, asking for a room, and when he went close to the fire, there was sward hung by his side, removing his cloak a flash came to me of knowing who this stranger.

A hush upon the quiet air, I got up to go to my room, a hand touched my shoulder and said: “do you know where a person named - Icewind” no was my answer.

But back in my room, couldn’t stop thinking about what the stranger asked me? I thought about myself when I was young, myself, ``Icewind” was a character I created, because I thought now what would happen if I changed my name?

If the stranger only knew that was me, something was bugging me, like I was sleepwalking, fog covering me and a beast within. I saw this in a dream, grabbing a coffee, sitting thinking about that dream, and never did say; {I believe it is Superstition, but it was true}. 

So it turned to evening, cold in the air, putting wood into the fire, picking up a little novel, covering up with a warm blanket, and started to write, but then a loud crash?  Magic was in the air, very darkness and foreseen, of blood dripping from everywhere, “Mark of Cain”  as the story goes; {Cain-took his own life, but the Mark would not let him be}!

But that was just a dream. I woke up to rain hitting the window. It was a very weird dream, but I picked up my pen and paper and started writing!  My mind couldn’t stop thinking about that dream, what did it mean, what was it about, why did the image come to me? Many questions but no answers, not here or there, back to writing, and once it was finished put the kettle on.

Took a walk by the sea, the warm air hitting my face, the waves crashing on the rocks, it’s was that way after a storm, it is a beautiful time of year, it was hard to remembering the fun times having family around, was too close to water, wave splashed me knocking me off my feet, if it wasn’t stranger, running by I would have drowned so would have to say; {he saved my Life}!! 

Looking at  a 7” man; asking if I was okay?  Clearing my air from my lungs, spitting out water, said: yes, if it wasn’t for you wouldn't be here, shaking he picked me up, took to back to his inn, like a fairytale, “when a girl meets a guy, so the tale says happy ending, could say; “he is my Knight and Shining Armor”, but the truth is I couldn’t tell him I was a Chosen Child,“ I was a Princess, so said was just a writer”!

I wish it was a fairytale, cause I would be a Princess, but with a writer, I can be whatever I want to be, and talk how or whatever I want to be! Back in my day; old people would always start saying that when a story was about to follow, and would be a saying that would go from one generation to the next. 

Well; it's funny because I got myself saying back in my day just the day and to my child which just made me sound stupid. But in this age; anything goes, oh yeah, back to the stranger saving my life, with a sword by his side, long hair, muscles, hazel-green eyes, the 7” foot man, and just down the hall was his room.

Went to bed, dreaming, you know that is where secrets are all hidden, start to become real, {the wind whispers secrets untold for thousands years}, my stories, yes, I am a princess, but that is just a Title, I am just human and you should not be judge by your cover!

The stranger, who saved my life, questioned my head; why? He didn't know me, but in my thoughts, okay, “Cain” stranger was his name, introductions aside, self sacrificing, and are descendants here is his story: wants to be a stranger in the night.

So lets start this story with; 

It’s now night, clouds rolling in, telling you that I was born in a haunted house, back in the woods, only a few homes that could be seen from the road, my trips to the inn, where I stay to get away from the hectic and heat aches. It’s my escape vacation place, all quiet time where I can write and have peace.

Just settled in; lights low, raining outside, the fireplace warm, and snuggled up ready to write. We are used to the demons walking the earth on the day of dawn, even Ghost’s, we live in a world of knowledge and fighting our own demons', losing our soul to the darkness and resourcefulness for our wrong doing.

Ghouls; haunt our dreams, there is a thing called “meatsuit” in human terms, {supernatural creatures possess someone or take over someone's body}, walking like the dead, nightmares that come to life and the truth is without the nightmares there would be no imagination.

So back to the inn; was little late in the afternoon, can’t forget that I need my Coffee, {little chuckle} because I always start my day with coffee, so sitting at the desk in my room, a thought ran across my mind, thought was caught in a maze, you would say; “Labyrinth”, but this is no ordinary labyrinth, did you know the real meaning: {of the labyrinth} and with that I use it from time to time to also take a breather out of life.

About this labyrinth; this no ordinary labyrinth, it was for peace but also the supernatural creatures live here, you don’t have to believe, take some time to reconsider, grown up in a haunted house, that is why when I moved out, came back to my old roots and you would have think that I would like the unusual.

Truth is I do!

On this day; I was just relaxing by the sea, notebook in hand, {no, I not going to fall in}, little, sarcasm, oh were was I, oh ya, by the sea, let’s get to the point about having a good scream, “laughing out loud” and now creeping down the hallway in terror, then a slam-bang something got my attention.

The waves hit the rooks that brought a chill down my back, was shaking because of my fall, I quickly moved away, making my way back to the little inn, the weather changed course, from gentle breeze, to a gust of wind, bringing lighting, that knocked down a tree branch, and almost hit me.

So I ran back to the inn, just in time because we were about to get a really bad storm, back in my room, the lights were out, so only had the burning fire, snuggling with a warm coffee, something hit me, maybe it was all in my imagination, put my notebook/pen away because was so dark that you can’t even see two feet in front of you and out of nowhere fog covered all around the room.

Standing in fog, knocking on the door, it was the innkeeper, {are you okay}? Why do you ask! Because the storm; lights are out, the ghosts go postal in darkness, as the story goes, “laugh” as the innkeeper gently spoke, and gust wind blew the door a little and chilled the room.

Seriously; no kidding around, yes it is dark, because the storm knocked them out, the innkeeper will have to go check other rooms, so I sit alone again, can’t do no writing, but there is some little light from the fireplace, trying to staying warm, weird sounds blowing in the wind and making little spooky.

I would have expected from this inn, its old, but I was born as a Princess; being protected by guards, that sort of thing, that is “Why”  I left to explore the world, life as a princess, isn’t that bad, but strict, and now I live my life with my rules.

Getting off track; since the inn is in darkness, all I could do was sit by the fire, thinking, not much goes on in this inn, basically you could say dead! 

That is why; I come for the peace, thinking on my book, my soul my journey, so now it’s time to go to bed, “ting”, that noise woke me up, getting the goop out of my eyes, see what was it that woke me up, sill in darkness, going back to sleep and dreaming the same dream over and over again…

The dream; I’m talking about, walking along a dirt road, wouldn’t hitch hike, wasn’t lady like, rules remember, as princess I still had my pride, and was a little creepy, the road was going nowhere. Woke suddenly; but not awake, walking deep in the woods now, things are changing, words not coming out, and now awake.

Chill was in the air; yes it was morning now, sipping my coffee, my thoughts went straight to my dream or you could say; “nightmare”, what I don’t understand is why is it recurring, thought I grew out of nightmares when I was a kid, and that's here nor then there but I haven’t even got to the important point of this dream! 

Decided to take a stroll by the sea, sometimes my thoughts take me the other way, would have to say; distracted if I had to give it a word, speaking about being distracted, remember was talking about the storm from last night, the tree branch almost hitting me,  then my brain took a step back to the labyrinth, was running around the maze, to find my special spot and if wasn’t born there would have gotten lost.

So in silence; found a different spot that I have never seen before,  was way in the dark, hidden by moss, tall grass, it had a hidden doorway in front of it, you know the old saying; {curiosity killed the cat}, life can be turned upside down, on a whim, okay back to the hidden door, if you're afraid of the dark, don’t get me wrong, scary is okay, and it is okay to be human.

At the door; put my hand on the handle, was to open the door, clouds rolled in, thunder roared, the sky went from clear to purple, you see there something you need to know this is a supernatural place, where you think you know right from wrong, but it is different, like wonderland mystery right, Cheshire Cat is a magical cat, you know you don’t have to believe in magic but that does take the fun out of life, and we all like the secret world of Magic.

So you know about me; I love that Cheshire Cat, little sharing about me, any way, back to the inn due to that freaky storm that came out of nowhere, like said; “was by the sea”, collecting my thoughts, you remember the hidden door in the labyrinth, was about to go open it, then the freaky storm hit and that’s not the real reason I froze, because this is out of my comfort zone.

Enough about me; this freaky storm, what is it about? It’s like something stopping me, but doesn’t matter, back to the inn, crabbing my coffee, notebook, going back to my room, snuggling up by the fire, about to put my writing skills to rest, and going to bed thinking about that hidden door.

Those memories came back to me; the reason I was having bad visions of being here before, but how, the unwritten word,  the wisdom of getting old, would have to say! Seriously; I was here in another time, I did open the hidden door, the answer was always here in front of me and the key is living life to the fullest and just being you.


December 17, 2021 06:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.