0 comments

Horror Suspense Speculative

This story contains themes or mentions of mental health issues.

The cold air stung my face as my tired legs carried me down the pedestrian side of the street.

Many ads were hung up everywhere, and graffiti covered the walls. Typical cityscape. My stomach rumbled as my eyes blurred.

I couldn't read any of the signs, either graffiti or ad, because I'm dyslexic.

I had been walking on and on, trying to find a place to eat and hide from the cold but was so far unsuccessful. My stomach growled again.

Suddenly, this woman beggar took hold of my feet, making me trip and almost falling to the ground. ''Hey!'' I said, ''What are you doing?''

I shook my leg to get her hands off of it but something horrible happened. Her eyes glowed green, making me stumble backwards a few steps, and a cloud of white mist flowed out from her mouth.

''The demons you face,

The pain you will feel,

You can't win the chase,

I'll see you when you're someone's next meal.''

She lunged at me, but since I was standing and she was... well, on the ground, I was too fast for her. Her eyes glowed brighter than ever as she continued.

''Heed my orders,

And you will survive,

Destroy the borders,

And you might gain a life.''

I was very confused, and a bit scared too. I look around at all the other pedestrians walking past me. I came to the possibility of two things; 1. I was not only dyslexic, but a psycho too or 2. These people are just too dumb to realise- even to see -that there's a crazy lady with glowing eyes on her knees in front of them.

She kept growling at me, her words now not understandable, and clawed the air, trying to catch me. My stomach rumbled with hunger.

I ran into the nearest shop that showed a too-good-to-be-true burger, with dripping cheese, perfectly charred meat, fresh, dewy lettuce and tomato slices, and a perfectly circle, shining egg.

Inside, the smell of burgers and milkshakes was strong in the air. I heaved a deep breath. Like, a very deep breath. Then I approached the counter and ordered a vegan burger and a chocolate milkshake.

I could still see the demented woman. I willed myself to not look at her as I weaved in and out of the multiple table-chair sets, finding an empty one.

At last, I found one, in the corner of the shop, and I searched for my phone in my jacket's many pockets. I bought this jacket for one reason: everything I need would be in these pockets, which would mean I wouldn't have to wear bags of any kind, which would also mean that I would not need to carry anything.

Alright, time to search for my phone. Pocket number 1, nope, that held my mints. Pocket number 2, nah, I kept my necklace and bracelet in there. Pocket number 3, 4, 5, 6, and on and on.

Finally, at pocket number 22, I found my phone. Immediately, I dialed 911. It also replied immediately. I told the operator what the matter was and she said I needed therapy. I told her I didn't and advised her to go to therapy.

She said she couldn't afford it, and I reminded her: ''That's why, work hard.'' She replied with a huff, ''I am working hard, you imbecile. I have no right to be rude, but my clients can't be rude either. So sorry, goodbye.''

She hung up. My food arrived. I ate quickly, barely chewing any of the food. When the meal was done, a waitress waddled over with the bill. That's when I realised that I have no idea if I had any cash or not. If I had, everything would be fine. If I didn't, I'd have to take a loan.

I figured there must be some cash in one of my pockets so I searched through almost all of them until I found a twenty dollar bill in one of them.

Thank the gods, I'd been blessed. So I paid up and left the restaurant, armed with a full stomach and a bucket full of courage.

I stared at the disgusting creature at my feet. Her hair was lanky and clumped up with dirt. Her face was blotched up as if someone had poured hot water over a clay statue. Her clothes were badly torn and stained. Her frame was weak and I could see her bones.

I felt a different feeling inside me, something like pity, but it disappeared as soon as her bloodshot eyes glowed green and her nasty-smelling-and-looking mouth poured white, mysterious mist.

I approached her, flipping my knife open. No, I'm not gonna commit murder, but I'm just gonna check her out. I took a few steps forward, my fingers holding the handle of my knife so hard, it hurt.

''Hey there,'' I said, ''You okay?'' I tried to sound casual but my heart beat was about 100/mph, racing with fear.

She spitted out some words, and they were horrifying:

''Through the dark,

There's no light,

You can't run forever,

You will leave a permanent mark,

Dusk falls, comes the night,

You will win, never.''

Great, this weird lady is talking about nonsense while I have a very sharp knife in my hand, ready to stab her throat if she tried to kill me.

Suddenly, the world spun around me. Whispers- No- Echoes were hissing in my ears. My eyes can't see, it was just a colourful blurr. My head spun round. My feet gave way.

I awoke to find myself laying down on an earthy floor, looking up at a dark, dark sky. Graves surrounded me, and there were skeletons that were digging a new grave. A headstone stood on one side of the rectangle. To my horror, it read: ''Rachel Charlotte Mason, 30/1/2024, RIP'' I felt as if a cold hand had gagged me by squeezing my throat.

It was my grave. I was dead. T-That woman had... warned me? Or predicted my future? I didn't know, but I found out I didn't wanna know. Right, time to die.

Or maybe not? That date on the- my head stone was today, or yesterday?

Abruptly, a series of words went into my head and spilled out of my own mouth.

''In time soon,

You'll breathe your last breath,

Look up at the moon,

for the last time before your death.''

I looked up, and saw the moon there. It just appeared out of nowhere. It bathed the graves with moonlight and I closed my eyes. For the last time.

Maybe.

January 29, 2024 20:18

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.