0 comments

Fiction Friendship Kids

I get up from my bed and look down at myself. I am a mess. I walk to my dresser and get out my robe. I change and head to the shower. "Jonathan!" My mother calls me. I brush my teeth and run downstairs. On the way, I grab my basketball. Breakfast is on the table. I slurp up my breakfast, and head outside to the courts. "Where do you think YOU are going young man?", My mom says. "The usual!" I say. I was going to go outside and play basketball with my two best friends, Charlie, and Devin. "Haven't you heard?" she says. "Heard what?" I ask. Dad comes down the stairs. BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! "How do you not know this?" he asks, "Haven't you been watching the news?" "No," I say. "Well", Mom says, "The Xorona Virus has harmed many people yesterday, and I don't want you getting sick! So you going to have to stay inside." "What?!" I say. "Yes", Mom says, " Devin and Charlie are not even going to the court today, their parents notified me." I groaned. "But can't I just call them and tell them to wear some type of protective gear or something?" "You will stay inside," Mom says.

We were inside the car, going to get groceries. My little sister, Jess, was sitting behind me. She kicked my chair. She stuck her hand through the hole in the chair that is supposed to be stylish. She screamed. Now, if you are in a car with Jess, you will have to bear all, and I mean all of that. Once we finally arrived, we got all the stuff we needed and walked to the checkout. This guy at the check-out scanned our stuff, and we walked out. Until he sneezed on me. Big time. If it was a slow-mo video, you could have seen the booger droplets falling from the sky. It dampened my face. The guy coughed his gum up, and it fell on my hair. I had to do something about this. When I got home, I got my old bandana from my dresser and tied it around my mouth. I tried fake sneezing. I could not see any droplets. I asked my mom for her bandanas(she had an awfully large amount of them), sanitized them, and sent some to Charlie and Devin. They sent me letters saying that "These should cover our faces so we don't get sick." and stuff like that. Community service made some more of them and asked me what these lifesavers are called. I called them masks. I was now famous, all because of covering over my face.

A few months later...

I walked out the door, with my mask on my face. I was going to play basketball with my friends, Charlie and Devin. I played until 6:00. We were tired. We went to go get some pizzas. When we got there, I realized that nobody was wearing a mask. I walked up to people and asked them why they were not wearing a mask. They said stuff like, "My mask is dirty!" "My mask stinks!" "My mask is so uncomfortable!" We got pizza, sat down, and thought about this. " Maybe you could add some small cushion things on the mask that makes it soft!" Charlie suggested. I wrote the idea in my notebook. Devin said, "Maybe you could make it washable so that if the mask stinks, you can wash it!" I wrote that down too. "And if they don't have a washing machine", Devin said, "There could be a second layer of mask! Double protecting, and stays clean if it is stained on the inside!" I wrote that down, finished my pizza, and headed home.

I was sitting at the desk in my room, fabric on my desk, hoping to improve the mask with my friend's ideas. I sewed a mask to another mask, connected by a strap with cushioning on it. The next day I produced my mask to people and watched how they reacted. They put on the mask, felt the cushioning, and walked away. I later found the same person, and his mask was stinking. I was telling him to take off the strap and go to the non- getting soiled part, and the non-stinking part. He thanked me and told everyone to buy my masks. I thanked my friends and split the money with them. I walked home, proud of myself. The next day, I had a complaint at the door. "My mask is nice, but the FUZZY STUFF MAKING IT SOFT STILL STINKS!!" How could I have been such an idiot!? The mask does not stink, but the fuzz still gets dirty!! I added something to the masks, hoping that it would. make things right. I walked to the park, sold people my masks, and hoped for a good reaction.

The people loved my masks! There were no more problems with my masks. Then, suddenly, I saw a kid with a cart. There was something inside the cart. They were MY masks. He had made his own custom masks (which were mine!) to sell. But the catch was, they had earphones connected to them, and they could listen to music WHILE they were wearing their masks! Classic. People tossed away my masks and ran over to the kid. When I came closer, I saw that I knew that face. It could not be! It was Charlie. I twitched. I smacked myself. I jumped around. I walked home. I got some of my old robot parts. I made a mask that could hold stuff for you. It was mass-producing.

2 Years Later...

It was my twelfth birthday. I did. not invite Charlie. I invited Devin though, so we could think of ideas. Then, we realized that lots of babies were being born. So we made the special edition Diaper Mask. It blocked out the smell of baby doo-doo to help the mothers and fathers help change their baby. How we were rich after that one. Many, many people came to but the Diaper Mask. Charlie copied me again. He was sued. I got lots more money. I split it with Devin and we bought five pizzas, just for us. Later, Charlie and I made friends again, and he was back in the business. We were going for gold.

March 10, 2021 17:01

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.