17 comments

Holiday

Hi, little kid! I am Aroon, the philosopher from the last bench that you surely met in school. I... am an orphan... and that means I don't really have a family. My mom died when I was born and my dad left me... I am 14 years old and I'm struggling with a strange feeling... It's not depression for sure. I've red about mental illnesses and I am pretty sure that I'm fine. I... am... feeling lost... abandoned... I'm not sure of my self-identity... Lots of psychologists say that "you are like your parents", "you are the results of how well you've been treated in your childhood" and so on. What if I never met my parents? Who am I?! Can you answer my question, dear reader and ending my suffering? Of course you can't... Because I can't answer this myself and I'm asking a stranger to help me... I don't really know who am I, but at least I have my room mate that makes my days happier and makes me forget about everything.

The Christmas is coming! Hooorraaaayyy gifts! Welllll... not really... In this period, lots of people come with gifts, thinking that they are doing a great thing. IF YOU ARE REGISTERING A VIDEO OF YOURSELF GIVING SOMETHING AND THEN POST IT ON FACEBOOK THAT MEANS YOU ARE NOT GOOD AT ALL. YOU JUST MAKE ME FEEL GUILTY FOR WHO I AM AND ALSO FEELING LIKE A "GOOD MARKETING IDEA" FOR YOUR BUSINESS! Uff... Sorry reader, I got a little angry about that. Sooo let's move on... Have you ever felt that Christmas spirit? The sweety smell of the cakes and cookies that your mom is cooking, sweets that makes you taking a bath in joy and excitement because you know that something magical is happening today!!! The Santa is cooomiiing, to tooooown! Wellll... I never felt that way... I was told that Santa doesn't exist when I was like 2 years old. Maybeee... you know that Santa doesn't exist, but you still feel excited to see if your parents got you that new IPhone (that "you really deserve because you were a good boy and you got good grades.") Well guess what? Here, nobody cares about what you wish to get for Christmas...even though you got the best scores at your tests. So... that's why I'm feeling this way... and that's why I hate Christmas! I also forgot to mention something! I am one of the skinny boys, so if I get the best gift in the orphanage, for being "such a nice kid", I am the best target for everyone! Even a little girl could beat me! And, to make the story more interesting and my life harder, I was born on 25th of December!!! I hate my birthday and Christmas! 25th of December 2019 will be my 15th birthday. Everything is the same... like any other year... but I still think something new will happen this year. I'm feeling it in my gut! My room mate is happier than usual... And I didn't even offered him the gift I prepared... strange... I get out of my room and I see a red silhouette. A tall woman, dressed like a Santa lady or something like that, with a shinny curly blonde hair. She is sharing gifts from a big sack with the kids, and smiles at everyone. The kids are staying in a line to get the toys and the sweets. I am next! I am a little nervous... The woman looks at me deeeeeply and then asks me: "What's your name?"

"I... I... I... (oh my god how could you be that stupid in these moments) I am Aroon. With double o!"

She hugs me and starts crying innocent baby tears. She suddenly whispers to my ear: "You are! ...My beloved kid!"

I am really confused right now! I try to move away from that sweet stranger's arms and I tell her:

"I think it's just a coincidence! My mom is not here anymore..."

"I am right here, honey!"

"NO! I said pulling me from her arms. MY MOM IS DEAD!" also who the (censored for kids) is this random stranger that pretends to be my mom ( I thought)

"About that... is really hard to explain..."

"What to explain?! You were alive! And you let me stay in this place when I could have a home and most importantly when I could have YOU?!"

"That's the problem! You wouldn't have a home, food to eat or anything like that! Even tho I was young, I wanted you! I developed a form of cancer, and you saved my life when I gave birth! I had my own home... until it burned to ashes. Your dad died and I entered in a coma for like 5 years. You miraculously survived! It was the night of the Christmas! We were celebrating your one year birthday and everything exploded when I tried to fire up the candle from the cake, because some gas got out of the tube for the cooker. I managed to get you out in time, but I entered in a coma from the toxic gas I inhaled. I would give you more details when we go home."

"Sorry... but I can't..."

"Wait... What?! Why?"

"I have a friend here that is like my brother! My room mate!"

"Ohh so now you have a mother and a brother!"

"You want to adopt him?"

"Yeah sure! I was in a coma 5 years! The other years I used to make economies and build a house for my future kids!"

"That's the best gift for Christmas!"

That Christmas was special! I have a family now, and I understood my mom... why she abandoned me... It was just bad luck for her, and It was good luck for me, because I live today and I'm healthy! 10 years after that Christmas, when I turned 25, I opened a non-profit organisation for orphans and people with bad luck, to help them find their true families. That birthday woke me up! Not that I met my mother, but I met myself! I discovered that Christmas is about giving, not receiving. But still... meeting my mom was the best gift that I could ever get! That changed me a lot! I am the best version of myself now, in my opinion! That's why I want to make kids as happy as I was when I experienced that amalgam of happiness and confusion! Because... kids deserve a happy life, not just a happy Christmas or a happy birthday! They deserve love! The best gift that you could receive and give on the beautiful night of Christmas Eve! (that should be true because it rhymes) Merry Christmas and a happy life!


December 22, 2019 21:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

17 comments

Paula Benu
08:28 Dec 23, 2019

I think it'a a great story! Keep going! (you should write more character development though) :) <3

Reply

Show 0 replies
Florin .
22:49 Dec 22, 2019

Best christmas story i have ever read :)

Reply

22:54 Dec 22, 2019

Thank you! ;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sarah Paris
20:18 Jan 02, 2020

Very sweet premise😊

Reply

20:48 Jan 02, 2020

Thanks! =)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Gary Phillips
00:20 Dec 31, 2019

I liked this story because it states my love/hate relationship with Christmas and also because it was just four short years ago, I reconneceted with my own mother whom I had not seen in over or heard from in over 20 years. It really hit home. Great work.

Reply

18:56 Dec 31, 2019

I really appreciate your review and I'm glad that I could make people like my story! =)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Linda Peterson
23:18 Dec 30, 2019

Great story!

Reply

18:56 Dec 31, 2019

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Grosu Andreea
20:55 Dec 23, 2019

Love is the best gift for everything idc. ❤️🕊️

Reply

20:41 Dec 25, 2019

I know 💞. That's why I wrote the story 💙

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
23:30 Dec 22, 2019

I liked the story, but read my name :)

Reply

23:40 Dec 22, 2019

Hmmm Dumitru is that you? =)))) thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Meow Moew
22:54 Dec 22, 2019

Very interesting story ! Keep doing what you love ! Merry Chrismas to you too ! :*

Reply

23:04 Dec 22, 2019

Thank you! Merry Christmas and a happy life! ;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Muntasir Dolan
22:04 Dec 22, 2019

I didn't really expected the ending! Nice story!

Reply

22:11 Dec 22, 2019

Thanks! =)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.