A world seen through the lens of "foresight"

Submitted into Contest #98 in response to: Start your story with a character having a premonition, but no one believes them.... view prompt

2 comments

Coming of Age Fiction Sad

People did not believe in the term "foresight." They believed that individuals were overly concerned with their personal well-being. But one stuck out; she believed in everything that caused anxiety. She felt compelled to look things up and reach a decision. Despite being at least 24 years old, she was her own detective. Emma Stone, a girl who had a premonition one day, a day when she had a strong sense that something, especially something awful, was about to happen.

Throughout her upbringing, her parents never believed her when she claimed to have a premonition. They'd just laugh and dismiss her, saying, "Emma, you're far too little for that term. Don't put too much stock in it." Her father was killed in an accident two days later. Her mother was completely heartbroken. There were not many people at the funeral, but there were many who sent their sympathies. My mother remained immobile, staring at the gravestone with my father's name etched on it.

My father's death hadn't hit me yet because I was only ten years old when we reached home later that day. At the time, I was emotionally impervious. while entering the two-story brick home on lane street. an area where no one could mind their own business Along with my mum, I entered. After locking the door, I proceeded to take off my coat, but my mother simply remained there, still thinking, as if she didn't have anything else to do. I'm not sure what occurred, but the words flew out of my lips, leaving my mother staring at me.

"I told you I had a horrible feeling about the forewarning."

My mother simply remained there, curiously observing me, and in a split second, her entire sorrowful countenance changed to an angry one. She took a step forward, grabbed me by the shoulders, and began screaming.

"How could you be so heartless despite the fact that your own father had died? I have no idea who you are." She rants on and on, but the following statement brought tears to my eyes.

"You slaughtered your father, you slaughtered your own father, and you have no sense of remorse."

She collapsed on the floor, tears streamed from her eyes, and gentle sobs from her lips.

"Sadness" filled the air, and I could sense it immediately. What upset me the most was my mother's belief that I had murdered my own father; I had no idea what was about to happen.

Our relationship suffered as a result of that day.

She treated me as if I were a stranger who didn't deserve her care. After a few years, I was an adult, attending college in the United States. I'm a psychology student at Brooklyn College.

I chose to become a psychologist after receiving premonitions every time. Yes, I could have been a detective, but my heart, psychology prevented me from doing so. After my childhood days with my mother, I had a new hope, a new ambition, to try to comprehend, but also to aid individuals with specific worries about their lives.

I was sitting in the front row of class, with Jackie, my closest friend, on my left, talking to me, giggled, and tried to gain my attention, but I ignored her and continued to listen to Professor Matthews.

"Psychology is required in this world to assist and advise persons who have premonitions." and just that line triggered me. I reached out my hand to ask an inquiry.

"Yes, Emma?" The lecturer acknowledged me and waited for my response.

"Can it be believed, therefore, that experiencing premonitions is the finest assist in assisting people?" I queried, gazing at the professor, who was staring at me, while he considered my response.

The professor was ready to respond when another student, this time Caleb, raised their hand to speak. I'd noticed he was a really attractive man, but I'd never actually gotten to know him. He looked me in the eyes and stated the following:

"Premonitions do not exist in this world; they simply cause mayhem wherever they go.

Premonitions cannot make the world a better place, hence my response to your question is no." We just stood there staring. I couldn't believe someone could be that harsh and hurtful.

The bell rang as we were just staring at each other, and the professor murmured something in the background that I couldn't understand. Caleb remained seated, staring at me with familiarity as though to question my assertion.I could see what he was feeling after seeing him in this manner. Could he be experiencing the same emotions that I was? I reasoned.

but then he stood up, took his bag and tried to leave but my words made him stop in his tracks.

"Having premonitions is a gift that might save the lives of many people. I feel that premonitions are necessary since it is for a good reason."

He turned back and glared at me before walking out the door, leaving me alone in the classroom.

After our debate, everything he said bothered me, and I began to reflect on what he said.

His words couldn't break through my defenses, but I stood firm in my assertion.

Having had an encounter with premonitions, I am undeniably more confident and in a better place than I was when I was a small child. I was okay with having them now that I had a plan to avoid any terrible things from happening. Whether people believed me or not, I conquered the world through my foresight. It didn't matter to me; what mattered was that I had a premonition about my future.

I planned to make the world a better place by giving my prophecies a chance. a chance to prevent some sorts of horrible events from occurring, even if I had to do it all on my own.

Even if many did not believe in any of it, it did not break me, but rather motivated me to strive for more than what I set out to do.

June 13, 2021 17:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

J Sagar
16:02 Jun 19, 2021

Interesting indeed.

Reply

12:19 Jun 20, 2021

Thank you ❤️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.