How a ladybug I call Faith helped me while walking alone in the woods.

Submitted into Contest #37 in response to: Write a story that takes place in the woods.... view prompt

1 comment

Mystery

How a lady bug I call Faith helped me while walking alone in the woods. By Brigitte Davies


The woods can be a beautiful place; however, to some the woods can symbolize the unknown. For others the woods hold a sort of magic where wizards or spirits can transform our inner desires. Perhaps, after stepping foot into the woods, my life will not change, but my perspective on my life and situation can.

Maybe it is here, in this magnificent place where I choose to journey, that mystical characters, hidden creatures and small insects can indeed become my friends. When life seems lonely, and no one is around, the situation can be challenging.


When one feels there is no way to change a thing; we can change our perspective on our situation.

And this morning . . . I wonder.

I wonder if everyone feels alone?

I wonder if anyone else feels scared?

Or shares my curiosity or concerns?

Does everyone who enters the wood leave the same way they came? 


Here is how I feel a lady bug helped to change my perspective on my world and life. At least for the moment.

I met her on my travels through a wood one day. She became a friend. She gave me faith and I wanted to name her. So, I named her Faith. This is my story.

One morning, I yearned to take a walk and felt determined not only to find out what mysteries lie within the large woods but needed to know IF there is such a thing as real love, trust and faith?

While packing my black duffle bag and throwing in a few cans of orange soda and a few odds and ends like my favorite towel and some snacks, I felt as ready as I was ever going to be. My adventure to find some answers was about to begin.

After finding an old, used, chewed-up pen sitting on the kitchen counter, I thought about leaving a short note. So, I wrote a few words, letting my family know I needed to take a walk. I needed time alone. To think. I taped the note to the front door, but it slammed loudly by accident, causing our cat, who happened to be sleeping on the patio, to meow loudly and then dart up the neighbor's tree. Needless to say, she really could use some exercise. However, I still felt badly having scared her.

Today I was going to start to trust. To not only trust myself but to trust life is going to work out the way it is supposed to. And to trust in the woods and its power. 

I announce to the woods, while I hike down a narrow path, “I live here now!The outdoors are now my home and all who reside here are now my family."

While thinking about my own family and if they are going to find the note I left, I wander past what appears to be a mamma bear. A small cub is sitting by her side. I become hypnotized by the dancing fire flies buzzing around the tall yellow flower, which is growing beside the water's edge. I notice a dark shadow from a flower being cast on the water's ripples while another firefly dances with a butterfly in the wind. With the bright yellow sunshine warming a nearby tree, I decide to sit and take a rest. While sitting under the shady branches, I hear an alert cardinal singing a sweet song. Is she singing to her babies? I wonder.

Just then something tickles me. But before I scratch my arm; I notice a yellow and blue spotted butterfly. It flies away just as quickly as it came. She may be trying to tell me something because everything in nature somehow relates to one another.

However, amid feeling a myriad of emotions, I cannot help but feel welcomed into this unknown world. While listening to the birds sing, I decide to sing too, and a quiet voice inside my head wonders, Do the birds enjoy my company this morning?

Carefully, I walk past a buzzing bee. It appears to be fascinated by the yellow daisies starting to bloom. Then my eye catches a small rodent. And it appears to be digging for a nut perhaps. I cannot help but wonder, How do all these animals reside together and do they all get along? Do they all respect one another even though they all appear so different? And with all their differences, how do they all communicate and share the woods?"

These woods may hold the answers to life's unresolved questions. And within its vast open space, there is plenty of room to explore. In my opinion, it is here that the animals may discover what life and love are all about.

Temporarily, these woods are now my home too, and I hope any hidden fears, or unresolved questions may be answered.

For the time being, I take off my sneakers but keep on my socks. Then I rest my sneakers on a small clump of dirt under a tree and dip my socks and feet into the wandering stream. I feel the cold and let go of any fears. And I trust.

I am one with the woods and the water.

I know they are one with me.

My socks get drenched; however, I do not mind.

I trust that despite whatever is supposed to happen to me today, I will be fine.

After a few minutes, I take my feet out of the water and gently wipe them on my towel. While allowing my feet to air dry for a few minutes, I reach into my bag and take out a can of orange soda and guzzle a few large sips.

Aah! I needed that, I think to myself. I am so thirsty!

However, the startling sounds of the waves crashing against the rocks, cause me to look up, and I spill the rest of my orange soda on my shorts.

The soda can falls into water. I notice a sign that says "No littering."

The fine is one hundred dollars, if caught.

" I pray I am not caught."

But there is a reason for everything, someone once told me. But I need not fear because fear is not the truth. Okay, I am done talking to myself.

Then a school of fish swims over to check out the aluminum can. "I am sorry, fish. Forgive me." Animals have feelings too. I know this as a fact.

While I imagine they are angrily yelling at me, I decide it is time to get home. So, I tie my socks around my duffle bag and pull the sneakers onto my damp feet.

Some fallen branches scratch my legs, and a few stray pebbles get caught in between my toes. I put aside any fear and know there is a reason for everything that happens to us.

I say a prayer.

I hear what sounds like a growl and hope it is not a wild bear. Instead, I realize it is only my stomach growling. So, I reach into my duffle bag and pull out a large juicy apple. I clean any extra dirt off of it by rubbing it gently on my shirt.

Its sweet juices drip down my fingers and my chin.

But no one is here to judge me. With that thought, I make myself comfortable underneath a tree. In a moment, a ladybug crawls on my cheek. I decide to name her Faith and I feel she was brought to me for a reason.

She stretches out her spotted wings and I think she's going to fly away. But something stops her and makes her stay. I tell her about my walk through the woods, how I dropped a soda can in the water, yelled to some fish and just feel tired and need to rest. And then she came along and comforted me.

I know this sounds strange, but we met for a reason and while she sat on my arm, I feel something magical happened.

I learned to trust.

I learned that friends and hope are everywhere.

And we are never, ever really alone. And I learned something else too.

I get up and start walking home. However, when I arrive at my house, I see my cat is still stuck in the neighbor's tree. The note is still sticking to the front door, and it appears nothing really has changed.

Sometimes life is tough. People can feel all alone and powerless over others.

Sometimes, it feels nothing will ever change.

But I learned our perspective on life CAN change.

And even if there seems to be some sad moments, or some lonely days, or if people appear distant, or I feel scared, I can change my perspective on things by taking a walk. I can change the way I see life and the situation I am in—even if I cannot change anything else.

Sometimes, one has to search for what he or she wants in life.

Sometimes people have to search for what they really, really want.

And when they find it, a new world will open up . . . with new possibilities.

And the world might even smile back.

My lady bug friend helped me discover that we are never really alone. So, when you take a walk through a woods, be prepared to come back with a different point of view and maybe make a friend or two.


April 10, 2020 23:02

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Unknown User
20:34 Apr 21, 2020

Very sweet! It was genuine.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.