The Lonely Dog

Submitted into Contest #29 in response to: Write a story about someone dealing with family conflict.... view prompt

1 comment

General

The Lonely DOG

by Alvin Campbell

Roanoke Rapids, NC


I once was happy, living with my family. Well things happen, Ok! I made several mistakes and I’ve been punished for all of them. But there comes a time, when a dog can take but so much. The first chance I got. I broke free. Yes, I was afraid, and I didn’t know where to go. I just kept running, looking for someone to love me and appreciate who I am. My owners didn’t like it when I became too excited; because I would bark and jump on people near me, leaving my paw prints on them. They didn’t appreciate it when I chased cars riding down our street. They didn’t like it when I messed up the door trying to get out of the house so that I can urinate. But sometimes I couldn’t make it, and I would urinate on the floor because I couldn’t hold it any longer. God only knows that I tried to act in an appropriate way that they wanted me to do. They really didn’t appreciate who I am. For goodness sake, I’m a Dog! Consequently I left that family. I was scared, hurting and severely lonely. Thus that evening, just a few miles away, I heard a young child’s voice calling me a name that I haven’t heard before, “Good-boy!” His smile, swiftly won my attention, and also it was getting late. Therefore, I felt that I have found favor in this child, who was 10 years old. Who loved me for what I am. I tired not to do the same slipups as before, but to no avail, I couldn’t help myself. This child still fancied me. But his father and mother wanted to do me harm. In fear, I exited that home, looking and searching for food, shelter and love. My former family saw me. What was I to do? I dropped my head, tucked my tail and went with them. They seemed so enthusiastic to find me. Merely a few weeks later, it went back to the normal punishments, but with more beatings and harsh words. Why did I come back? I’m here but I’m in pain, hurting and walking on pins and needles. I’m in more bondage now than ever. My old past mistakes are constantly thrown at me. I need love and I’m not being rightly taken care of. Why did I come back? They no longer talk to me, but shout at me, calling me stupid and foolish. I feel stupid and foolish for coming back. I oftentimes wondered if I’m the only Dog going through life like this. It’s a lonely place to be. When you feel that no one cares about you and you’re doing all that you know how to do to keep peace and to stay out of trouble, brings frustration and mental anguish. But I’m strong at heart, and I won’t give up looking for the love that I need. I’m not saying don’t scorn me, when I do something wrong. Please lovingly chastise me; that is how I will learn to better myself and make you proud of me. No one wants to take out time with me anymore. I’m lonely, and I have mix feelings of what to do next. But for now, I’ll suffer with it. It surely doesn’t feel good being a lonely Dog. Bark out loud!


February 21, 2020 01:32

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Geoffrey Archer
15:14 Feb 29, 2020

Cool story, I enjoyed the message the most. I think it had good pacing, and it's pretty cool the way you played with block passages. Very Beat! Though I believe submissions need a word count between 1,000-3,000, this is good writing. I would encourage you to play around with other paragraph structures as well. Maybe include spontaneous breaks, or try a more standard approach. Best of luck in future submissions.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.