0 comments

Crime Fantasy Fiction

It would be just my luck that the day I would confess my love to Perfecta, that we would be held hostage by the most notorious villain in the world. I planned this day out flawlessly. I know she works weekends because every time I’ve come on a weekday, she wouldn’t be there, so it had to be this Saturday. I got up this morning, put on my favorite gray collared shirt and left the house, and now I’m sitting on the floor tied to a podium. Today was supposed to be my day, now it’s Professor Wicked’s day.  

“With the press of this button, I’ll kill everyone in this building!” Everyone panicked and screamed. All I could do was roll my eyes. If he was going to kill us, I need Perfecta to know how I feel about her. “But I’ll let everyone go if Captain Strong sacrifices himself and flies into the sun!” He was speaking to every big news outlet. All cameras were on him and then Captain Strong himself showed up. He waited outside with everyone else, while we were trapped inside with Professor Wicked. Even though Professor Wicked was evil, he knew how to grab everyone’s attention. 

No one has ever paid attention to me before, except Perfecta. When she first started coming to this bank two weeks ago, she said the sweetest thing to me. “Have a nice day.” What she really meant is “I love you Guy, marry me.” Now instead of giving her attention to me, she’s across the room tied to another podium, looking at Professor Wicked. I hate it. 

I started to wiggle out of the ties behind me. I got one hand out and began working on the other. Then I had both my hands free, but of course, no one seemed to noticed. Professor Wicked stood in the front entrance laughing at all the reporters. So, I stood up and walked to where Perfecta was tied. At that moment I was experiencing the worst case of butterflies ever. But it would all be worth it to solidify our love before death. 

Like always, no one noticed me until I stood right in front of Perfecta and said her name. 

“Perfecta?” She looked up startled, like I snuck up on her. And even with the panicked look on her face, she still looked beautiful. 

“Thank God you got free, please untie us.” 

“That can wait. I have something I need to say.” She looked up at me and when our eyes met it felt like time was frozen. I took a deep breath and exhaled slowly. 

“Perfecta, every time I come into this bank you always put on the nicest smile. And you always give me crisp bills, not the old wrinkly ones. And every time when our time is up and you “have a good day.” And I know you feel the same way. And what I really wanted to say is that I love you.” 

I was smiling from ear to ear waiting for her response. I couldn’t read her face, but I knew she would say it back. 

“I’m sorry, I don’t think I know you, but can you please untie us. We can talk more about it later.” 

My heart instantly shattered. How could she say that? 

“What do you mean you don’t know me? I’m here every Saturday and Sunday cashing in my checks. Last weekend you even said ‘here’s you check Guy.’ You said my name.” 

“I’ve only started working two weeks ago.” 

“I know, I’ve been here those 2 weekends. You seriously don’t remember me?” I couldn’t help my voice from cracking or the tears from falling. 

“Can you please just untie us? Please. I have a family waiting for me back at home.” I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. 

“And you’re cheating on me? I thought we were close, but you’ve been raising a family behind my back?” 

“Just untie us please.” How humiliating. I planned out my whole like with this woman. And now she wants me to save her after she said she didn’t know me. 

“Just forget it.” I turned my back and started walking away. She kept calling my name for me to untie her, but it was too late. She was the first woman to ever notice me, and she’s forgotten about me that fast. Today was supposed to be my day, I might as well die. So, I laid down on the cold floor and waited for whatever fate was planned out. I'll never be the main character. I’m destined for the boring life I’ve always lived, as a side character.  

As I was thinking about how terrible my life was, I felt someone kick my side. Not really a kick though, more like someone tripped over my body. I hear them hit the ground and as I looked up, I saw that it was Professor Wicked. Of course, he didn’t notice me lying on the floor. He turned his head to me and gave me the most hateful look, but it was quickly erased as he realized the remote was no longer in his hand.  

“Move you idiot!” Was the last thing he said before Captain strong rushed in and punched him with the force of 10 gods. Professor Wicked flew back into the room behind him, leaving a hole in the wall the shape of his body. I wasn’t the least bit amazed. I was still grieving the love that could have been with Perfecta. But Captain Strong reached a hand down to me, offering to help me up. 

“Thanks for the hand pal. You’re a real hero.” I never thought of myself as a hero before. He was the real hero. Someone I could look up to. Maybe even someone I could learn from. He turned around to untie the people around us. 

“Captain Strong, wait!” He turned around. 

“How do you get a girl to like you?” He smiled and I just knew he would give the secret to getting women to notice me. 

“Just be yourself.” Just be myself? That couldn’t be the secret. Then he just floated away like he gave me some life changing advice. I’ve been myself, but no one ever sees me, no one ever notices me. Perfecta actually did notice me, but somehow forgot me. Being myself hasn’t gotten me anywhere. I was enraged. This guy is supposed to be the best of the best. But obviously he knew nothing. Who else could I ask? 

I got up and walked through the whole shaped like Professor Wicked. He was coughing from the dust in the room falling on him. 

“Professor Wicked.” He jumped at the sound of my voice. No surprise there. 

“What, did you come to gloat?” 

“I’ll help you escape, if you teach me how to grab the attention of people around me.” He looked up at me confused. 

“What’s an average guy like you going to do for someone like me? I can’t escape here. there’s only one exit to this place, and it’s flooded with cops and cameras.” I puffed out my chest. 

“That’s where my powers work best. I have the ability to walk by people without being seen by anyone. I go unnoticed by everyone and I’m easily forgotten. If you stand next to me my powers will cloak you too. I just found out today.” I put my hand out waiting for him to grab it. He was hesitant at first, but grabbed my hand. I hoisted him up and he used me as a crutch. 

Then there was a bang from where I entered. Captain Strong punched a hole through the wall and floated in the room. Dust flew everywhere 

“Professor Wicked, it’s time to pay for your crimes.” We stood there and watched him. When the dust cleared, he looked around in confusion.  

“Where is he?” Captain Strong said as he scanned the room. 

I wasn’t shocked at all, no one ever notices me. Professor Wicked could hardly believe it himself. 

“Wow, you weren't lying.” 

As Captain Strong came in to investigate the room, Me and Professor Wicked walked out. And then we walked out the front door. No one said anything as always. I never knew I could use this to my advantage before. 

We stopped walking in an alley. I felt proud of myself. 

“I told you we wouldn’t be seen.” 

“Wow, that’s a great power you have, we can definitely use it to our benefit. But before we officially become parners, you need a super villain name.” we sat there and thought about it, then it hit me. 

“How about See No Evil.” 

“Perfect.”

August 06, 2021 03:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.