1 comment

American Fiction Happy

"Where am I?" I stood there and looked around as the room spun. I think I fainted, because I woke up, and I was in a different room. There were butterfly statues on the dresser and the pastel colored curtains lightly swayed in the breeze.

I looked at the door, marked 'Exit', and then out the window at the pools and gardens. Maybe I'd stay here a while and relax until I got my bearings, and then I can..

"Knock, knock", on the door. "Master Penelope?" a butler looking fellow peeked in, and then tiptoed across the room, placing a tray on the dresser. He then left.

What did he leave me? A tray of tea and crumpets. I was in England! Oh, joy.

Just then, a buggy drove up to the entrance outside. Yes, the driver was sitting on the right. A boy and a girl got out of the vehicle, frolicking.

The driver said, "Come with me," and they followed him inside.

After much giggling and bickering, the two children made their way upstairs, to my room. They stood at the door and just smiled and tittered.

I looked at them, then proceeded to spread jam on my toast. A new butler came along and asked if I were going to greet my neice and nephew, saying that they flew all the way from Greece.

"Oh, but of course, " I started. But I had no idea who they were. Everyone stared at me. They waited. "Alice, and Richard?", the butler volunteered. "They've come upon your request. I believe the idea was to go on a hike."

At this point I was still trying to figure out not only where, but who, I was, but I just got up out of bed. Then said, ok. Then waltzed right out of the house.

"Onto the garden," trampling through the freshly weeded grounds, I was trying not to look like I was running away, but I was.

Alice and Richard followed along hurriedly, laughing as they go.

The butler just stood at the doorway. Then waved us all away.

"Alice, Richard? Is that what he said your names were?" I ventured.

The kids giggled."Yep."

"Ok, uh. I don't know how I got here, I dont know who any of you are, and I don't know this place." We were running through the brush, tripping over stones.

After I spoke, however, the kids just suddenly stopped. "Then who are you?", said Alice. "Yea, ", said Richard. "Why should we go with you. You're saying you're not even our Aunt Penelope." he grabbed Alice's hand. "Come on, Alice, let's go back." they walked away.

"Wait! I need your help!" I cried after them, but they turned once, then continued on.

All of a sudden it got dark and I needed to rest and a rest stop appeared on the horizon.

I went in a building that said 'rooms for rent' on it, then walked up to the girl at the desk.

She was snoozing in her chair, so I tapped on her shoulder and shook her lightly, til she started.

"Oh, oh! Are you looking for a room?"

I nodded with a grin.

I was registered, then shown to my room.

The sleep I got that night and most of the next day was tremendous. I had needed to catch up on sleep. I also learned, that I was in Worcestershire County, England and that it was 1779.

This, from the newspaper on the night stand.

Then I got up, went outside and looked around. Everyone was wearing top hats and long, frilly skirts, darting this way and that.

"What is all the commotion?", I wondered.

Just at that moment, I heard drums and bagpipes. It was a parade! Got out of the way quick!

The banner that led the show read, "Free Our Queen." I sat and pondered.

What could that be about? And why and how did I get to this time and place? If I remember correctly, I was a girl who lived in Kansas all her life and I believe the year was 1953.

A skirmish behind me almost knocked off my hat, then I heard a yell, "Bow down, it's our Queen!" I lowered myself in the dirt like everyone else.

We were near the River Thames, and a big barge went by and tooted its horn. I waved. I was enjoying myself, even though it was crazy that I was here.

What would you know, but Alice and Richard and the butler pull up and say, "There you are! Get in the car." They're giggling as I got in, and also as we walked back inside the mansion. I exhaled.

At least I was presumed to be somebody of importance, here!

"Oh, Penelope, tough squandering your sense of adventure, is it?" the butler questioned. Nodding, I let him cover me up in my bed. The light was switched off, and I suppose the two kids' room was next door to mine in the hall. I heard them twittering all night.

In the morning light, I sighed. Then rolled over, "Is this for real?" I thought to myself.

"Cut!" oh, it was a movie being filmed. I laughed at my idiocy.

"Can I please take a walk outside?" I asked the director. "I have to see where I am really."

"Ok sure but be back for scene 2!"

Outside modern cars and vehicles whizzed past, going God knows where. I sighed. Finally, I could say I knew what was going on.

After the movie shoot for the day, I walked to what I hoped was still my real address.

My friend Hopi came around the corner and dropped down on the stoop next to me. We sat there, then he finally said,

"How was your day?"

I wanted to explain all of the mayhem, but just said, "Good, yours?"

"Ok, " he said then left, saying he had to get something to eat.

I went inside my house and sat down at the kitchen table.

July 03, 2024 21:15

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Summer Austin
16:56 Jul 04, 2024

I had fun writing this

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.