1 comment

Bedtime Fiction Kids

Lying in bed, under the sheets, Sally sat up with her eye lids still closed. She yawned a big yawn, while rubbing her eyes.

Slowly, she opened her eyes, but not all the way. She was oblivious to the time.

Looking out the window beside her bed, a window could be seen. Outside the window was a dark sky filled with stars.

It was 10:00 P.M. —an hour past her bedtime.

Talking to herself aloud, she asked, “Time to wake up?” and stumbled out of her bed.

Sally was a young little girl; she had only recently turned six.

Still half asleep, and her eye lids still heavy, she turned from where she was standing, and patted the top of her bed.

Her hand patted nothing —then nothing again —and then, finally, she felt her small hand land on her stuffed giraffe.

Sally pulled the giraffe off the bed, bringing it close to her chest. Still holding it close, she left her room.

Sally walked down the hall to her parent’s room, the hall was being lit up by nothing more than a couple of night lights.

Sally stopped walking once she got to her parents’ door.

Still holding her stuffed giraffe, she raised her right arm to knock on the door and then —

— “Wait, we’re talking about Sally, right?” It was the voice of Sally’s mom.

Sally froze.

Sally unfroze.

She lowered her arm and stood quietly in place.

“Of course, who else would I be talking about?” It was the voice of Sally’s dad.

“Ugh Frank, don’t be that way. I just wanted to make sure we’re on the same page.”

Sally leaned in close to the door, carefully, and quietly, placing her left ear on the door.

She could hear them talking louder, and clearer, than before.

Why are they talking about me? Sally wondered.

She rubbed her ear on the door, as if she was trying to get even closer.

“I know this is a big step for Sally.” Sally’s dad said, “But it will be good for her.”

“But is she ready?” Sally’s mom asked. “She’s still so so young.”

Sally listened to the sound of her dad’s footsteps walk around the room. They came to a stop.

“She’s not that young Mary.” There was a pause, and then, “She can take care of herself.”

Sally squeezed her stuffed giraffe, her heartbeat quickened.

They weren’t thinking about getting rid of her…were they?

“No, she can’t.” Said Sally’s mom. “She can’t even tie her own shoes.”

Sally let her grip on her stuffed giraffe loosen, her heartbeat going back to normal.

Her mom wouldn’t let him get rid of her, no…

“There are other people who can help her tie her shoes —or you know what, before she goes, we can get her those shoes with the straps.”

Goes? Go where?

“But she’ll be without us…” Sally’s mom whined.

“And isn’t that a good thing? You’re with her, Every. Single. Day.”

“You say that like it’s a bad thing.” Snapped Sally’s mom.

“Hey, I’m just saying the truth. You’re with her ALL the time. You could use some more you time. Don’t you think?”

Sally’s mom sighed. “I think she’s, my baby.”

Sally’s dad sighed. “But she’s not a baby, not anymore. It’s time to let her go. It’s time to let her grow up.”

“You don’t get it.” Sally’s mom countered. “You work at an actual office; I work from home. I would be the one stuck at home all day in a quiet house. I’d miss her. I’d miss her Frank.”

“Don’t you think you’re being dramatic Mary?”

“No.” said Sally’s mom. “I don’t think I’m being dramatic —I think I’m just trying to view how this will affect the future.”

“The future involves change. Things can’t be the way they are forever.”

There was a long pause.

Sally squeezed her stuffed giraffe yet again and took a moment to herself, to try and process what was going on with her parents.

Surely it was a misunderstanding. They LOVED her. They loved her, didn’t they?

The talking resumed. Sally immediately went back to listening.

Sally’s mom’s voice came out quiet, and small. “I know the future involves change. It’s just…just so soon.”

“Soon?” Sally’s dad countered. “We’ve been thinking about this for YEARS.”

Sally’s heartbeat quickened, her face was slightly pale, her eyes wide.

Years? They’d been thinking about this for years?

Sally didn’t even know how long a year was.

“Look.” Sally’s dad started. “She may be without us, but she won’t be alone.”

Sally’s mom breathed out. “Maybe you’re right—”

Sally started shaking.

Her mom was caving in to her to dad’s pressure to get rid of her?

“But something awful could happen to her out there!” Bursted Sally’s mom.

Sally nodded her head, in agreement.

Sally’s dad said, “It’s not like we even have a choice anymore.” and Sally’s mom cried out, “But we do have other options.”

Sally’s dad breathed out, calming himself. “No, those options won’t work out and you know it. We have to, we have to do this. It’s time for Sally to go.”

“No.” Sally breathed out.

“Did you hear something?” Asked Sally’s mom. And Sally ran to her room, quietly.

Sally laid in bed, hugging her stuffed giraffe. She began to cry.

Meanwhile…

“I didn’t hear anything.” Answered Sally’s dad, Frank.

He goes sit down next to wife, Sally’s mom, Mary. He wrapped his arms around her. Mary began to shed a few tears.

Frank kissed Mary on her forehead.

“Look.” Frank began. “I know you think she’s not ready for this, and I know the other options we considered. But they won’t work, because we both work.”

Mary nodded her head. “I know, I know.”

“And I think the person who may not be ready here isn’t Sally, but you. I think you’re the one who isn’t ready. You held her back from kindergarten and pre-k. And now you want to quit your job and homeschool her. But first grade is different. First grade isn’t optional. Besides, it’s not like we’re getting rid of her. We’re just sending her off to start school.”

May 17, 2024 08:13

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Hannah Daniell
01:01 May 23, 2024

well done! this is such a well executed story - you balance insight into Sally's perspective and insight into her parents decision really well. One thing that might help it read a bit more smoothly is right at the beginning you have a bit of information redundancy - "young little" "dark, 10pm, past bedtime." Making sure you're not repeating yourself can help bring the reader into the story faster. But after the first bit the story reads nicely and your dialogue is well crafted and compelling!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.