4 comments

American

" Dad, can you pick me up? I don't feel good. My heart hurts."

" Honey, you only have two hours remaining, be strong, I know you can do it."

" But my teacher was mean to me and now I'm sad."

" I can't pick you up again today. You need to put your big girl panties on and soldier on."

" Also, Dad, I lost my Hello Kitty backpack."


After I pushed 'end call'; I opened Google, " How do you send an email to county jail?" I want to love someone, someone who will love me and take care of me. I want to sing duets with Denis- he can sing the John Travolta part while I sing the Olivia part. But I don't know how to tell him 'You're the One that I Want'

'Showing 85,00 results, Search instead for'…. none of which actually helps me. My heart hurts a little more until I realize that I typed 'tail' instead of 'jail'. God. I am so sloppy. 

My dad doesn't understand me. I heard him say that he believes that I will live with him and mom forever. God I can't think of anything worse. I'm not though. Even my doctor believes me when I say that I am going to marry Denis one day. I like my doctor because he is nice and he gives me medicine. 

--------------------------------------------------------------- 


Dear Denis,   December 27, 2019

Last weekend I watched A Man, A Prisoner, and Quilting. Wow. It's so unbelievable. I guess that's why CNN wanted to document the insanity, plus it helps that you are so good looking and charming. 😉You also have such a great body. How often do you work out? Is there a Peloton in jail? I love my Peloton. What is your leaderboard name? We should be friends. My favorite instructor is Denis. He spells his name the same as you. Oh, BTW my name is Amanda but my friends call me Mandy. Also, I am 18 years old and in my last year of high school. What were you like in school? 


PS- I've never done anything like this before. I'd really like to be friends. I hope you get this. 

PPS- Also, your quilts are really beautiful. I quilt too, luckily, I have my own scissors, well several pairs actually. When you had to keep asking the prison guard for your scissors it made me mad. 

♥️♥️♥️


dear amanda         feb 1, 2021

thank you for your email. can you load $200 on my prison commissary? i can't eat another bologna sandwich. i will write more later. gotta go

G4075-68


Dear Denis,     February 1, 2021

Yay! Oh my Goodness! My friends and family all told me I was crazy for emailing you over a year ago. They offered me a million reasons why you wouldn't respond. They said things like he probably doesn't know how to read, or maybe he got shanked. I always felt that I would hear from you. I knew it in my heart. 💗

I am embarrassed to admit this, but I don't know how to do what you asked. I'm not saying I won't. I tried to Google "how to load a prisoner's commissary?" 


PS- I've watched A Man, A Prisoner, and Quilting like ten more times. It's so funny when you say that thing about smiling.  

PPS- Is that a lightning bolt tattoo? I am so jealous. I want a dragon tattoo but my dad says only sailors and circus performers have tattoos. Do you like cats? 

♥️♥️♥️


dear amanda,      feb 2, 2021

my homie got a hold of a drill and spit out that lightning bolt real fast. hurt like a mother. are you one of them religious types or what? send pics

how to load prison commissary link

G4075-68


Denis,           February 3, 2021

You are so funny. Did you get the $300 I put on your commissary? Did you get the pictures? I used a new App to swap your face with my uncles, now it looks like we went to Disney World together. If you won a trip to anywhere in the world, where would you go? Since we are friends now, you can call me Mandy. Do you have a nickname? What is your favorite movie? Have you ever fainted?


What do you mean 'religious types'- I don't think so. I think I am just like everyone else; my family believes in God and Jesus and stuff. Mom says that if I do something bad, all I need to do is ask for forgiveness and everything is all-good. 

Anderson made me very mad when he called your case 'suspicious'. I don't believe that you poisoned that teacher. In fact, I know you didn't. There is no way that you did any of the stuff that they are accusing you of. Besides, just ask God for forgiveness. 

I can't remember, do you have any children? What sign are you? I'm a Gemini.

♥️♥️♥️


dear mandy- feb 3, 2021

 you look pretty in your picture. where do you live? maybe you can visit. 

G4075-68


Big D- Feb 5, 2021

It was so great seeing you, especially now I know the origins of your nickname 🍆(hahaha). It didn't hurt as badly as I imagined.

I know you said you need $200 every week for commissary, but I can only afford $100. Is that okay? Please don't leave me. I think I love you.

Have you ever eaten a Lion bar? They are so good. Last year when my dad took me on vacation to Europe, I discovered them. Hopefully one day we can go on a vacation together, maybe even a honeymoon, but not somewhere where people wear flip flops, looking at other people’s feet disgusts me. Eww.

PS- I keep forgetting to ask you, what is your favorite color? 

♥️♥️♥️


The Herald Headline: 

Police found a Hello Kitty backpack with a bloody name badge that once belonged to former teacher, Kelly James.  

Local teenager Amanda Blue Collins has been arrested for poisoning her teacher. Shortly after Collins' arrest Ms. James' former boyfriend was released. Denis Campbell spent four years in jail awaiting trial.


February 12, 2024 20:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Kristina Aziz
14:43 Feb 17, 2024

Wow, how interesting! I was so sure the phone call in the beginning wasn't needed but it tied in with the ending so perfectly! Love being wrong sometimes.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Danie Holland
21:40 Feb 17, 2024

Some people are just meant to be and then they find each other. Often in the most unlikeliest of ways. 😅 This was a great read! I laughed so much at the emails back and forth. Very out of the box and creative. Thank you for the story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Alexis Araneta
15:58 Feb 17, 2024

Oooh, I loved this ! I love how you bookended the story with the backpack. Very gripping, twist-filled story (the best). Lovely. Seems both of us went down the mental illness path during Sugar Rush week. Hahahaha!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mary Bendickson
01:04 Feb 13, 2024

Creepy story. Thanks for liking my 'Sixties Teen '.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.