0 comments

Fantasy Science Fiction

The air was thick with the stench of smoke and ash. Hagen coughed to relieve the ache in his lungs. With the back of his hand, he wiped the sweat coating his forehead and gazed at the smoldering blackness, feeling the weight of the forest's destruction bearing down on him. The kingdom he'd sworn to protect had suffered a brutal attack, jeopardizing the fragile peace between humans and his kind.

The fire had wrapped every tree in blazing orange flames, and after hours of effort to extinguish it, the trees that had once risen tall and proud now stood drooping and charred, their bare branches dripping water.

Hagen glanced at Cordelia, lying motionless on the grass. Her dark, sweat-drenched hair clung to her scalp. He had to admit, he'd lacked any sense of her power to manipulate water before today. But she'd flashed back and forth above the trees, launching countless jets of water at the fifty-foot flames until she could no longer go on. Her powers had grown after a year of hard training at the academy.

"You alright?" he asked, dropping onto the patch of grass that had evaded the flames.

With a heavy sigh, she sat up, shooting him a furious glance. "What do you think?' Her voice sounded rough and strained.

A wave of guilt washed over him, and he lowered his eyes. "I couldn't have done it without your help. You should be proud of what you've accomplished today."

"Seriously." Cordelia flung her arm towards the burned remains and shook her head in disbelief. "Are you blind?"

The fire answered with a low rumble, and they twisted around and gazed as sparks floated and swirled in the fading light.

Cordelia's eyes shifted back to him. "What do we do now? I don't believe the fire was accidental or the result of lightning."

Hagen stared at the smoking ruins. He pictured his older brother, Tyson, notorious for his wild and rebellious behavior. Recently, he'd joined a group of agitators, using his ability to generate and control fire to wreak havoc on the authorities. The realization that he might have started the forest fire settled on him like a suffocating blanket. Where the hell was he? Most likely, he'd slipped away to hide, leaving everyone else to deal with the aftermath.

"Hagen?" Cordelia dug an elbow into his side.

"What?"

"The destruction will anger the council, and they'll be eager to find someone accountable."

Anger churned in Hagen's chest. With just a year remaining at the academy, he still had to prove himself worthy and persevere until graduation. His brother's reckless behavior could compromise his future at the academy.

With one swift motion, Cordelia leaped to her feet. "Well, I'm going back to the academy. I've no doubt the councilors will be expecting us."

Hagen gave a slow nod and, with a heavy heart, pulled himself to his feet.

Early the next morning, Hagen stood, wide-eyed through lack of sleep, in the hall at the academy. The room stretched out in front of him with councilors clad in black gowns at a long wooden table at the far end, murmuring amongst themselves. Their troubled expressions spoke volumes.

Restless, Hagen shuffled on his feet. His eyes darted towards the oaken door on his left. His heart thumped against his rib cage as the door lifted on its latch and swung inwards, creaking on its hinges. The room fell silent as a hulking figure entered and strode towards the councilors, his footsteps striking the polished floor. Taking his time, the man pulled a wing-backed chair from the table and sank into it.

The man nodded at the other councilors, lifted a document from the table, and leaned forward. His eyes scanned the room, landing on Hagen. "The governing body has examined the surveillance footage, witness accounts, and other evidence regarding the incident, which destroyed the Royal Forest." The man said, his voice steady and commanding. "Before I provide you with our findings, is there anything you want to say?"

Hagen flexed his hands, clenching them into fists. His greatest desire was to be outside, breaking down doors and forcing his brother's sidekicks to reveal his whereabouts.

"Honourable councilor," Hagen began, his voice wavering. "All that I could express, I have already shared with you, and since I have nothing new to add, I'm prepared to hear your conclusions."

The air was tense and heavy with silence as the councilor cast an eye over the document. Raising his head, he regarded Hagen with a penetrating stare. "Forensic evidence confirms someone started the fire intentionally."

From the table, a murmur of voices rose.

"Hold your tongues." The councilor slammed his hand down. "Hagen, our people have suffered a significant setback. You and many others consider your brother guilty of the damage and would like him banished from the academy. However, the councilors can also easily compile a long list of all the blunders you've made while enrolled at this establishment to support their decision to assign all the blame to you."

"What?" Stunned, Hagen slapped a hand over his forehead. "But - "

"However," the councilor continued. "It is impossible to determine from evidence if it was you or your brother. Thus, the governing body will award the grant required to continue study this year at the academy solely to the brother who regenerates the forest."

Panic seized Hagen's chest.

The councilor stood and slapped his hands on the tabletop. "Hagen, there is much to do before the new school year begins."

Moments later, outside the academy, Hagen blinked in the bright sunlight. A jumble of thoughts crowded his mind, making it difficult for him to envision a way to restore the forest's former splendor.

"Hagen." A familiar voice called out.

Hagen pivoted, his eyes swept the walkway, and he spotted his older brother perched on a wooden bench. He moved closer. "Tyson? What the hell?"

Tyson flashed a hollow smile. "'How are you?"

"Fantastic. No thanks to you,' Hagen spat through gritted teeth. Tyson was like a thorn in his side, and it hurt. "What are you doing here? People have been searching for you, but I guess you know that."

Tyson laughed. He bent his head forward, tugged at the sleeve of his hoodie, and held out his right hand.

Hagen stared at him, confused. He gazed at the blue flame flickering in the center of Tyson's palm. It spattered and sizzled, changing changed color from yellow to orange and red when he blew on it.

Hagen gaped in disbelief. He'd always marveled at his brother's talent. With a mere flick of his wrist, Tyson could summon flames that burned bright and hot and danced and swirled at his command. It seemed to come naturally to him. Growing up, everyone had told Hagen he had the potential to become a powerful fire wizard. But despite his best efforts, he'd yet to demonstrate any definite mastery of the craft.

Sensing him watching, Tyson lifted his head. "Do you ever use your skills for anything?'

Hagen's breath hitched in his chest. "Use my fire skills to damage and destroy everything in its path, no."

Tyson clenched his hand into a fist, and tendrils of smoke rose into the air. His voice tightened. "I don't care a hoot about the forest. It's beyond saving." He rose to his feet and turned to face Hagen. "The councilors have lost faith in you, and that's an automatic advantage." His mouth twisted into a grin. "The grant is yours if you can win it, but I have no intention of making it easy for you."

Hagen's stomach twisted with a mix of anxiety and a looming sense of dread.

Tyson wheeled around and, with his back to Hagen, walked away.

A few hours later, Hagen sat at a desk in the library with his head in his hands, feeling defeated. An intense longing for his father consumed him. He so wished he were still alive. He would know what to do, his quick mind calculating the best course of action.

"My son," he would have said. "You're so sensible and smart, you'll find the answer."

And Hagen would have felt much better.

In the cozy atmosphere of the library, he started to relax. He glanced at the shelves filled with old books with ornate gold lettering lining the walls, searching for inspiration. His gaze fixed on an ancient tome nestled between two more modern volumes.

Intrigued, he rose from the chair, strode over to the shelving, pulled the book out from among its neighbors, and sat back at the desk. Running his fingers over the supple leather, he marveled at the strange symbols etched on its surface. As he opened the first page, it surprised him to find intricate diagrams depicting various forms of fire magic instead of words and illustrations. Techniques Hagen had only ever dreamed of mastering. As he flipped through the pages, he felt a sudden spark of determination ignite within him. Perhaps this ancient text held the key to unlocking the secret to restoring the forest.

In the light from the desk lamp, he spent hours poring over ancient tome, studying the art of fire magic.

"Hagen?"

Hagen raised his eyes to find Cordelia standing over him, staring at the book in his hands.

"Cordelia?" For a few minutes, he studied her, attempting to figure out her reason for being there.

"Need my help?" she asked.

"I don't need your help, thanks." His gaze returned to the book, and he flicked through to the end.

Cordelia groaned. "Hagen, after the decision made by the council today, I think you need all the help you can get."

Hagen swallowed a sudden lump in his throat and slammed the book shut. "Yes, of course, you're right. We need to gather pine cones and remove the seeds."

Cordelia sank against the desk. "What? Are you mad?"

He touched her arm. "I have a plan. Using fire magic, I will generate a burst of heat and light to purify the forest soil and imbue the seeds with a spark of life to bring life back to the forest."

Cordelia looked at him for a long moment. Her brow creased. "It's too great a risk."

"But what if it works? I can't possibly make the forest any worse than it is right now."

"Okay, but collecting seeds? Isn't there another way?"

"No."

Cordelia let out a soft sigh.

"Cheer up. It'll be fun," he said.

She gestured toward the window. Outside, the final fragments of light were bleeding from the sky. "It's getting dark. We'd better make a start."

Hagen felt an awkward rush of relief. He jumped up and, stepping around the desk, embraced Cordelia.

After a few minutes, she pulled away. "Come on then. Let's go."

They both rushed to the door.

The following morning, as the first rays of dawn warmed the sky, Hagen and Cordelia stood exhausted, gazing at the blackened remnants of the forest. At their feet lay a pile of burlap sacks filled with seeds.

"Alright, let's make a start," Hagen said, picking up a sack and hoisting it over his shoulder.

Cordelia sighed, bent forward, and lifted another sack from the ground.

Turning around, they stumbled away in different directions.

Stopping at the forest edge, Hagen let the sack slip from his grasp, slid to his knees, and started digging into the scarred and barren soil with his fingertips. After making a small hole, he sunk a seed into it and covered it with earth. He continued working periodically, glancing at Cordelia, busy crouching over the soil, planting seeds, with relentless determination. In a few hours, they'd emptied five sacks.

Pausing, Cordelia lifted her head and peered at him. "I'll carry on, but you need to begin casting the spell," she said.

Hagen forced a smile and nodded. He summoned a deep breath, held his hands out with palms facing upward, and shut his eyes; the diagrams in the book circled through his mind.

After a few long minutes, he opened his eyes and peered down at the earth – nothing, no green shoots bursting forth from the ground. He rubbed his temples. A dull headache had formed behind his brow.

"Are you frightened your plan won't work?" Cordelia said.

"Terrified."

Cordelia jumped to her feet and took a few steps toward him.

Hearing a cracking sound from amongst the blackened trees, Hagen stilled and pressed a finger to his lips.

A figure darted through the forest toward them. Hagen's heart thudded in his chest. Maybe Tyson had chosen to join them.

Cordelia whirled around to face the figure. "Fionn?"

Fionn glanced around the forest, her eyes gleaming with malice. "I've never understood why people value nature." She roared with laughter. Her eyes flicked to Hagen. "Tyson sends his best wishes. He's sent me to prevent you from succeeding."

"You'll never stop us," Cordelia said, jabbing a finger at her.

"We'll see about that." Fionn raised her hands, turning her blue eyes skyward, and in just a few minutes, the air turned white and bitterly cold. White snowflakes descended, freezing hard against the ground.

Hagen gave a loud groan.

Cordelia swung around. "Hagen, try again. You've got to keep trying with the spell."

Hagen rubbed his hands together. Holding them out, he turned his palms upwards. Drawing a deep breath, he closed his eyes and focused on the task. "Come on, come on," Hagen said out loud, bouncing from foot to foot as the coldness sliced through him.

Minutes passed, and Hagen concentrated hard. Finally, a comforting warmth seeped into his feet and radiated through his chest. He opened his eyes and, discovering green shoots poking from the soil, a heavyweight fell from his shoulders. He'd succeeded.

Cordelia patted him on the shoulder.

Fionn emitted a despairing wail, and her body slumped to the ground. All her strength had vanished.

"What I don't understand," Cordelia peered at Fionn's loathsome crumpled form. "Why didn't Tyson show up in person to stop us?"

"He's always focused on mastering the ability to harness the destructive power of fire. He has not yet developed the skill of manipulating fire for restorative purposes." Fionn said, her voice spiking upwards as she tried to raise herself to her feet.

Cordelia beamed at Hagen. "Your ability and hard work have brought the forest back to life once more, and I'm confident when the councilors arrive, they will be so astonished that they will give you the grant to continue your studies without hesitation.

Hagen smiled, but he knew his work was far from over, and he would need to continue to tend to the forest, ensuring it remained a vibrant and thriving ecosystem for generations to come.

November 10, 2023 22:57

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.