2 comments

Drama Fiction Inspirational

The wind howled. The floral drapes swayed waywardly like the unrestrained human emotions. The pearls lining the big-sized mirror shone under the dim yellow light. Debra entered the room and placed her plush bag that was encrusted with real coral and turquoise stones on the table. Seated on a chair, she stared at her reflection. Freeing her petite frame of the woolen preserver, she examined the wrinkles that bedecked her skin. The windows rattled and diverted her focus. She walked to the windows and closed them. She removed the French barrette and her tresses cascaded down her waist. After making sure that the drapes were fastened with the barrette, she walked to the mirror. She had chosen the exquisite mirror lined with pearls many years back. The wooden frame that held it displayed a few blemishes at the corners. It had faded with time. Just like her. Yet it stood tall and strong while exhibiting its scars with pride. The mirror has been her confidant for a long time now. It reflected the truth. Contrary to the people surrounding her, who feigned concern and endearment, the mirror gave her a reality check from time to time.

Her chapped lips groaned in pain as a wry smile escaped them. She reached for a box placed in the nook of a cabinet. Dabbing the cotton with a liquid, she applied it on her face. The maquillage that concealed her imperfections with precision was gone and her bare skin was revealed. That feeling was akin to baring her soul to a friend. Something she hadn't done in a long time. The neck piece and bracelet were placed carefully in a velvet box and they would hibernate in a dark and secluded corner till the next event. A burning sensation stung her like a bee and she gently applied a copious amount of moisturizer on her face. She bent forwards and the lines of weariness that bracketed her eyes were clearly visible. The crow feet had deepened with time and the rebellious wrinkles winked at her mockingly. Amid the imperfections that shrouded her beauty, her blue eyes shone brightly like a diamond.

"Your eyes are mesmerizing." "Drowning in those beautiful eyes, I can forget all the sorrow." The compliments she was showered with back then rang in her ears.

Staring deep into the mirror, 'Those were the days of unbridled adulation,' she thought. She closed her eyes and felt the windows to her past open. It was summer. The aroma of coffee filled the air. With her hair tied into a ponytail, Debra was attending to the customers with a wide smile on her face. She worked as a barista for more than two years and had become adept at her job. Her polite and friendly attitude earned her the much-needed tips. She was saving for her college and every penny mattered.

"One vanilla latte coming up," she announced and placed the coffee on the table.

The man smiled and thanked her. "Have a good day sir," she wished in her usual chirpy tone and continued with her day.

The man visited the coffee shop the next day and the day after. He had become a regular. Every day she served him with a smile and he sat in a corner and carefully observed her while slowly sipping the coffee. The mornings were busy and she hardly found the time to make a note of the surroundings. One afternoon, during her break, she settled in her favorite corner with a book when the man approached her.

"Hello, I'm Martin. A photographer by profession," he said and extended his hand.

She lifted her gaze and the sight of a familiar face brought a well-practized smile on her face.

"I'm Debra," she said, tucked a strand of hair behind her ear and shook hands with him.

"I know you," he said, pointing to the nameplate that dangled from the right corner of her shirt.

"May I join you?" he asked and she nodded.

He stared at her intently and tried to get a closer look of her enchanting features. Not blinking even once, he examined every bit of her. Discomfort crept within her and her eyebrows arched into a question mark. She cleared her throat and disrupted his concentration.

"I'm sorry," his tone was as low as a whisper.

"Those blue eyes, luscious lips, auburn hair and near hourglass frame make you a perfect model material. Would you like to try modelling?" he asked.

His husky tone sent her mind racing. The thought of modelling sent an ecstatic chill down her spine. She loved to try and learn new things. Also, she needed the money. And a little fame wouldn't hurt.

"I'm interested," her voice quivered.

He looked at her and waited for her hesitancy to subside.

"But I don't have any prior experience. And I'm not sure if I'm camera friendly," she expressed her concern.

"Oh, you will learn and adapt. Just give it a shot. Your best one," his eyes filled with assurance made her nod.

He handed her his card and said, "Meet me at my office on Saturday at noon." She smiled and said, "Sure."

They shook hands one more time and he left.

The thought of modelling had instilled a newfound zest within her. She spent the nights staring at her reflection and admiring every inch of her. She tried different facial masks, experimented with new hair styles and pampered her skin. She wanted to look her best.

Time just flew. On the D day, dressed in a white crop top and black colored jeans, she walked into Martin's office.

The receptionist guided her to a room. She tapped her feet against the marble flooring in quick succession and waited for him. A few minutes later, he entered. After a causal exchange of greetings, "All set for your debut photo shoot?" he asked.

Rubbing her clammy hands against the jeans, "Yes," she muttered.

She followed him to another room. A woman did her hair. A few strokes of make up was applied and she looked prettier than usual. Martin adjusted his lens patiently. She was asked to pose. Different angles were tried and many photographs were clicked. He showed her the photographs and she saw herself under a different light. She felt good about herself. Her confident demeanor had become better.

He informed her that he would send the photographs to a few advertising agencies and would contact her when the opportunity knocked.

The next hour was spent sipping coffee and talking about anything and everything under the sky. Their banter was interrupted when the receptionist entered and informed him that someone was waiting to meet him.

"I'll take your leave," she said.

He smiled and said, "See you soon."

She picked up her bag and left. Every morning, she woke up hoping that she would hear from him. But in vain. The seed of desire was sowed deep in her heart and its roots grew deeper with every passing day. Two weeks passed. But she didn't hear from him. Neither did he visit the coffee shop. Disappointment shrouded her mind. And it affected her work. She wasn't her usual chirpy self and the change in her behavior didn't go unnoticed. Passing remarks from her colleagues and a subtle warning from her boss made her think. She resigned to her fate and tried to obliterate the desire of fame from her heart. Considering the incident to be a passing cloud, she tried to focus on the bird in hand.

More than two months later, she received a message. "Meet me tomorrow at 5 PM," read the message.

"Okay," she replied. She was careful to not build any expectations. Expectations that left her hurt. The next evening, she met Martin at a quaint restaurant.

"I didn't think that I would hear from you," she said.

"Good things take time," he remarked in his usual husky voice. The voice that made her stop in her tracks. He ordered his usual vanilla latte while she scanned the menu card. Her eyes read the menu while myriad questions meandered in the alleys of her mind. Why did he invite her to the restaurant? She sensed a shimmer of hope in his eyes but not wanting to build castles in the air she waited for him to speak.

Her eyes were still fixed on the menu when as though he read her mind, he spoke, "One of the advertising agencies has shown interest in your profile. Will you be able to meet them tomorrow?"

A bleak squeal escaped her lips. She clasped her mouth and her eyes gleamed in happiness.

Enveloping his hand in hers she whispered, "Thank you so much, Martin." Tears rolled in her eyes. He reassuringly squeezed her hand and his touch alleviated her inner turmoil.

"Don't thank me yet," he chuckled.

She had dated a couple of guys in the past. But none cast their spell on her. Not like Martin. Though they shared a professional relationship on the surface, she felt that they shared something deep and profound. Not wanting to ruin the special moment, she locked her feelings in a corner of her heart and said, "I'll have a Mocha."

Coffees were served. She watched the vapor rise from the cup and escape into thin air while occasionally glancing at him. An hour passed.

"I need to leave," he said. She got up and hugged him. He gently stroked her hair, landed a peck on her cheeks, gave her the address of the agency and left.

The meeting with the agency was fruitful. She signed a contract and had become a part of their projects. She was cast in many advertisements. From bath soaps to foot wear, hand bags to colognes, she did it all. Her days were busy and she was tired to the bones at night. Despite her busy schedule, she made sure she met Martin from time to time and updated him about her progress. He seemed elated. But his behavior didn't emanate any vibes of connection. He liked her but not in a way she did. Though the subtle rejection hit her hard, she moved on. Like always.

Six months later, she was offered a role as a supporting actress in one of the movies produced by a mega production house. Without any second thought, she agreed. The movie turned out to be a huge success. Offers poured in and she had become the most sought actress. She loved all the attention she garnered. Her bank account overflowed with money. While fame was the cherry on the cake. She was invited to grace several charity and fundraiser events. Her calendar was filled to the brim. With events and movies lined up for her, she hardly spent time with Martin. Slowly, their relationship faded and finally vanished into thin air.

Two years later, she met a lead actor during one of the award shows. They immediately hit it off. Amid the busy work schedule, love had begun to bloom in her life. He showered her with expensive gifts and luxury vacations and she dwelled in his extravagance. But everything beautiful came to an end and so did their relationship. She had caught him cheating with another woman. Her trust broke and so did her heart. As a part of the healing process, she soaked herself in work. "Work and more work" had become her motto.

Years passed. The lights, camera and action had cast its evil eye on her. Many young women had entered the industry and they slowly replaced her. After being in the limelight for around a decade, she craved attention. She signed smaller films, graced any occasion, however minor it was. Eventually, people stopped noticing her. She wasn't asked for photographs or autographs. The media didn't go Gung Ho about her. Slowly, loneliness raised its ugly head and sunk its teeth deep into the crevices of her mind. Yet she didn't give up. Not until that evening.

After a hiatus, she had received an invitation to attend a charity event. She was overjoyed. Dressed in her best, she arrived at the venue. Neither did she receive a grand welcome nor did she revel in the spotlight. All she did was sit in a corner and sip wine. She realized that she was replaced. She wasn't the most sought actress that she once was. Realization hit her hard. She wasn't wanted anymore. No one needed her. She had dedicated her life to cinema for more than a decade. It felt like her world had come to an end. She felt betrayed.

Tears cascaded down her cheeks and she was back to the present. Heaving a deep sigh, she stood up and walked to the cabinet. She opened it and filled a glass with wine. She walked to the bathroom and got rid of the gown. She lit a candle and slipped into the bathtub. Soaking in the warm water laced with calming oils and with the foam caressing her skin, she drowned in a whirlpool of thoughts. An hour later, she got out of the tub, wiped herself with a soft towel, donned a robe and walked to the room. After pampering herself with a moisturizer, she slumped on the bed. A few minutes later, she drifted into a tranquil and dreamless sleep.

The next morning, her phone rang waking her up. She got off the bed and sat by the window. The sky was shrouded with ominous clouds giving the morning gloomy vibes. She bent forwards and observed that a tiny ray of the Sun tried to find its way amid the clouds. Like that tiny ray, a ray of hope lay hidden within her heart and struggled to find its way into the open and brighten her life. She wasn't famous. The film industry didn't need her. Her personal life wasn't rosy. She was alone. But not lonely. She was there for herself. There was no dearth of money. She had aged but was healthy. Wrinkles and blemishes became her constant companions. Not only was she older, she was also experienced. The wrinkles and crow feet around her eyes were testimonials to her struggles. The bags around her eyes spoke about the pain she endured. Time and age had robbed her of the opportunities. But she still had talent and the zeal to learn.

She would start all over again. It would not be easy. But she would do it anyway. She would look forward to living and loving. Holding onto hope and faith, she would embrace every day with enthusiasm. She was alive and healthy. And that's all that mattered. She wasn't the same as her younger self. And she came to terms with reality. But she would fall in love with the new and improved version of herself. Slowly, one day at a time.

November 30, 2022 17:05

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Latha Prakash
16:47 Dec 10, 2022

Hello Patricia Thank u so much for reading the story and giving your feedback. Yeah I use grammarly. Will work on polishing my story Thanks once again

Reply

Show 0 replies
16:12 Dec 09, 2022

Hello - I enjoyed your story and like Debra's resilience and determination. I also like your metaphors. I have only a couple of suggestions. Do you use Grammarly? There is a free version. It will help you tighten up your work. It picks up repeated words and makes suggestions - your use of some words like 'her' and 'she', and tells you when your sentences should be connected and how to use active voice rather than passive. It's fixing little things like this that make your work sound more professional and it will shine!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.