0 comments

American Drama Western

   By Light of the Candle

TEXAS 1836 Suzanne Marsh

Flames danced in the small stone fireplace, as an owl hooted. The sound startled Hannah Putnam. She was anxiously awaiting the return of her husband Tom, from his hunting trip. Game was plentiful here in Texas. Once again, she heard the hoot of the owl, she went to the one window in the small wooden cabin, she could see nothing but a dark void. It was a moonless night, she felt so alone, even though her son Edgar was close by her side. She heard what she thought was a coyote, then the hoot of the owl. Hannah became alarmed, she had a horrible fear that either the Comanche, Kiowa or even the Caddos Indians were watching and waiting.

She slowly removed the braided rug over the trap door. She opened the trap door, climbed down the ladder with Edgar in her arms. She stood Edgar on the ground motioning him with her finger to her lips to be very quiet. She closed the trap door, then proceeded down the tunnel and out into the forest. She located the cave Tom had drawn in the dust before he left to go hunting. Thank God, he had done that. She held Edgar close to her as she listened for footsteps. For one moment in time, she thought she was safe, then a savagely painted face stared at her. She screamed and Edgar cried. What did this Indian intend to do with them? He motioned for her to come out of the cave. Hannah prayed that Tom would arrive soon.

Hannah was bound and gagged, then placed on a painted pony behind the Indian for had found her. Edgar was placed in front of the saddle; Hannah could see him but could not comfort him. The Comanche raiding party rode west toward Mexico, where they had a large camp. Hannah, was abruptly pulled off the horse, finding herself being stared at by Comanche women. She wondered if they would kill her and take Edgar, but apparently the Indian who captured her was a chief of the tribe. He signed to her he wanted her to follow the women. He held Edgar, as if he were his own son. Hannah thought that at least Edgar would be safe with him.

Hannah, her long blond hair shimmering in the sun’s light made Flower of the Prairie envious. Flower made as if she were going to cut Hannah’s hair, but the chief intervened:

“Flower of the Prairie, this is my woman, you will not harm her.”

“I...I thought I was your squaw.”

“You are but you must share me with Yellow Hair.”

Flower of the Prairie was not happy but once the chief spoke, there was nothing to say. He now had two wives and a son.

Tom Putnam, returned two days later to find the cabin burned. He began to search in the forest praying that Hannah was hiding in the cave he had talked about. He walked slowly toward the cave, he noted there was a scuffle. Booted footprints, and bare feet prints, this did not bode well. Tom, grabbed his horse, knowing that time was of the essences. The longer the Indians had Hannah and Edgar, the less chance he had to find them. He began to track hoof prints; praying that Hannah and Edgar were safe. He thought about the unborn baby Hannah was carrying. He berated himself for leaving her to hunt for game. Their larder was full, but there was something about the hunt itself that he enjoyed.

Trey Ramirez came upon Tom Putnam’s camp:

“Ho, the camp, may I come in?”

“Yeah sure.”

“Gracias.”

Trey rode in his hand on his long rifle, he was puzzled to see Tom sitting at the campfire, and no weapon:

“Senor, where are you bound for?”

“My wife was taken by the Comanche five days ago; they have my son Edgar and Hannah’s

pregnant.”

“Senor, perhaps I can help. The Comanche have a large camp just over the Mexican border, it

is their stronghold.”

“Can you take me there?”

“Si, senor, I can do that.”

Trey got off his gray stallion, tethered him to a tree as Tom handed him a cup of coffee. Tom was terrified he would not see his wife or children again. Hannah was beautiful, with eyes as blue as the Texas sky, hair the color of honey. He could understand why the Comanche would spare her and their son, he just hoped he was correct in his assumption.

Hannah had no illusions about her fate, one of the squaws spoke a small amount of English and had told Hannah that she was to be the squaw of Chief Long Knife. Hannah merely nodded she understood; praying that Tom would find her soon. The baby she carried was moving more, as her belly grew large. Chief Long Knife made it known he wanted a son. Hannah had already lost Edgar to Chief Long Knife who thought the boy was a prize possession. He took Edgar on long rides with him. Edgar, like his mother was blond and blue eyed, powerful medicine for Chief Long Knife.

Time seemed to stand still as Tom and Trey headed toward Big Bend. The trail led them toward Chihuahua. Trey pointed out that from here on in Tom should let him do the talking. It was dangerous for a gringo to be in Mexico looking for the Comanche. Chief Long Knife was busy raiding Chihuahua to notice the young Mexican and the gringo with him. Trey, casually pointed out Chief Long Knife:

“Senor Tom, that Indian, with the war bonnet is Chief Long Knife. I go to speak to one of

his braves I rode with. You stay here and wait for me. Remember do not speak, it could

get us both killed.”

Tom, simply nodded as Trey rode off toward the brave he knew:

“Little Bear, I seek a white woman who is…” His words trailed off as he noted a small blond boy sitting in front of the chief. Trey knew without a doubt that was Tom’s boy.

“Little Bear, that boy, why does the chief have him riding in this party?”

“He is son of chief.”

Trey knew things were going to become very difficult, the chief had claimed the boy as his. He hoped Hannah was still alive. He asked quietly:

“Is there a woman in your camp with yellow hair and blue eyes?”

Little bear nodded yes. Trey thanked and rode back to Tom.

“Tom, I have good news also bad news. The good news is you wife is alive, the bad news is

the chief has claimed your son as his.”

Tom knew that it could happen, he had to decide how to get them back. He could fight the chief, but that would do no good. He could sneak into their camp find Hannah and bring her back home. Edgar was a problem. He and Trey discussed the best way to save face with the Comanche. They decided the best way was to enter the camp at night, find Edgar and Hannah. Then ride like the wind out of Mexico before the Comanche had a chance to follow them.

Hannah felt the first pains of childbirth. She sent for Flower of the Prairie:

“Flower, I am going have this baby tonight.”

“I will get medicine man; he will help you as will I.

The medicine man entered the tent, his eyes focused on Hannah. He began to chant as several other squaws arrived to lend a hand. The baby, a tiny little girl arrived early in the evening. Hannah named her Virginia; Flower of the Prairie gave her the name Sky Cloud. Hannah smiled at the name.

Trey and Tom prepared to enter the camp. They lay still in the high grass waiting to see which tent Hannah was in. They watched Chief Long Knife enter a tent, when he came out, he shook his head in misery. Tom thought perhaps Hannah was in that tent. They crawled on their bellies toward the tepee, cutting the back out. Tom went in first. Hannah, her eyes wide gasped:

“Tom, oh God Tom you came for me and Edgar. Tom, this is Virginia, your daughter.”

Tom, peered down at the tiny bundle in Hannah’s arm:

“Where is Edgar?”

“In the chief’s tepee. He is watched day and night.”

Tom and Trey thought about that; they could get Hannah out first with the baby, then if time permitted, they would return for Edgar. They quietly helped Hannah up on her feet, Trey took the baby as Tom

support Hannah. They hid them in the tall grass, hoping to grab Edgar and ride for home. They watched the tepee that Hannah pointed to. Chief Long Knife came out walking toward the spring. This was the only chance they would have to grab Edgar. The little boy walked slowly out of the tepee, going toward the same spring. Trey, put his hand over Edgar’s mouth:

“Do not scream, I am here to take you to your papa and mama.” Trey picked the boy up and ran for all he was worth. The horses were saddled and ready to go. The small party galloped toward the border; it would not be long before the Comanche noticed they were missing. Five days of hard riding the Putnam family and Trey returned to Plum Creek; they were home.  

August 17, 2023 19:09

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.