Bonds

Submitted into Contest #60 in response to: Write a post-apocalyptic romance.... view prompt

0 comments

Romance Drama

“We have to get out of here, now!” My father shouted. 

I wasn’t about to leave without my cat, though. I looked around, frantically searching for my beloved companion. I got Emerald when I was just eleven, and five years later I didn't love her any less. Sometimes my parents wondered if I loved my cat more than my own siblings. I’ve chosen to just ignore that thought of theirs. 

“There you are!” I found Emerald hiding in a corner. It broke my heart to see her like that. She was usually fierce-- ready to take on any threat. But now she has been reduced to the very thing she always refused to do. Cowering in a corner. I grabbed her from her hiding place under the cabinets that once housed our dishes, and ran out of the crumbling building that used to be my home. 

“Why’d you risk all our lives for that stupid cat?” My father practically snarled at me. I didn’t bother to take offense, though. He was terrified like the rest of us-- but instead of hiding like Emerald, he tried his best to act strong. But sometimes that didn’t come out quite right. Ushered into our gray minivan by my father, we all buckled up and raced away. 

“I couldn’t just leave her,” I replied, answering his question. I cradled Emerald in my arms. We were almost out of town when the traffic hit us. Everyone was desperate to get out of the city, but now all the cars only moved a couple inches every few minutes. 

How could everything go so wrong so fast? I’m a normal person. I’m a sixteen year old girl that stresses about all her AP classes! The high school that we all used to despise seems so wonderful now. I caught a glimpse of myself in the rearview mirror. I have long brown hair and brown eyes. Perfectly ordinary. I would’ve never imagined that I would be where I am now. I could feel the tensions rising in our car. Thankfully all of my family made it out to the car. Including my dear Emerald. My father gripped the steering wheel so tight, I could see his muscles trembling. My mother was swearing up a storm in the passenger seat, and my two younger sisters sat rigid in their seats, paralyzed from the fear. 

I forced my muscles to relax. Freaking out wasn’t going to help me. Anxiety swirled inside me, but I thrust it down. It would do me no good. But had the universe forgotten us all?

“I guess we’re all stopping for the night.” I jolted awake to hear my father’s voice. “I can’t believe you actually fell asleep, Miri. We’re all terrified and you doze off.”

I could hear traces of amusement in his voice. This meant that he, and hopefully everyone else, was feeling better. 

“Well, we’ve always known that I can sleep anywhere,” I chuckled, jumping at the opportunity of a lighter mood. 

“A lot of our neighbors are close to us, and they are setting up for the night. We’re going to go join them.” My mother explained. 

We all got out of the car and stretched our legs. I could see now that we were in the mountains, but we were all gathering in a clearing. I look around and see many familiar faces. I didn’t really know my neighbors that well, but it was comforting to see them. 

“Miri!” I whirled around to see my best friend waving at me. I immediately relaxed, relieved to see that Derek got out of the city safely. He played football for our high school team, and he most certainly looked the part. Strong, muscular build, blond hair and brilliant blue eyes. The insanity of the situation escaped me completely once he was embracing me. He smelled familiar, like home. Like better times. 

“Oh I’m so glad you’re okay,” Derek said, releasing me to search my face. Did he expect my eyes to be filled with terror? I was thankful that he was here. Not many people know me as well as he did. 

“I’m glad you’re okay, too.” I hugged him again, soaking up the sense of security as long as I could. “Have you seen Rhys?” 

“I saw some of his family earlier, let’s go see if he’s with them.” 

I nod and follow him. We soon encounter one of Rhys’ many younger siblings. 

“Could you tell me where your parents are?” Derek asked. 

The small boy only pointed. It didn’t take us long to find our friends’ parents. 

“Is Rhys around?” I asked his mother. 

Her expression was like a punch to my stomach. She was barely holding back tears, and the exhaustion showed up only too well on her face. 

“He didn’t make it,” She choked.

Derek and I both tense. Rhys was the third addition of our merry little band. Rhys and I teased each other relentlessly, and Derek and Rhys were as close as brothers. We all cared about each other deeply, and our loyalties were strong. We would rather lose all our limbs than lose each other. Rhys being gone also had a devastating effect on his family. Not only was their grief crippling, but they couldn’t function without his help. Rhys was always there to babysit his many younger siblings, and to deal with any crisis that arose. 

I wondered if this day could get any worse. Having to leave your home behind for the great unknown, then not knowing if one of your best friends was alive or dead. 

As if on cue, massive explosions erupted behind us. We turned around to see that our city had gone up in smoke and flames. You know when people have their lives pass before their eyes? My city’s life flashed before mine. I remembered everything that I loved about it; everything that I despised about it. 

I had never realized what kind of a bond I felt to the city I grew up in. I was always so excited to grow up and leave for something better. Seeing the place you’ve lived your entire life just disappear-- whether you liked it or not-- still had an enormous effect. 

Derek put his arm around my shoulder, and I leaned against him. The pain we were both feeling was absolutely unbearable. We had just lost everything-- but at least we had each other. And that was the only thing keeping us from falling apart. 

I stared out at the nothingness that used to be our town as the sky became dark. I had probably been standing there for hours before I finally came back to the world of the living. Emerald nudged my boot and meowed pitifully. The playful light in her eyes had been extinguished. I scooped her up. She purred as I pet her soft fur. 

“Baby girl, I’m not sure what we’re going to do. No one knows what we’re going to do next. And you know me, I’m the bookish one. Not the type to enjoy surviving in the wilderness.” Talking to Emerald probably didn’t help me look like I was exactly with it. But it helped me. “And Rhys? Our home? I don’t know what I’ll do without them.” Emerald stared up at me. “You’re right,” I continued. “I have Derek, I have my family, and I have my lovely feline companion.” I winked at her, not feeling foolish like how I probably looked. Didn’t everyone rely on their cat to solve their problems? Maybe Emerald had lost some of her spark, some of her fight, but she could still help me. I looked up, realizing that night had fallen. The moon and stars shined brightly, the brightest I’ve ever seen them. “Well at least there isn’t as much light pollution…” I trailed off. Taking a deep breath, I smiled at Emerald. “Positive attitude is key!” 

Now I really had gone insane. I ignored the possibility of my imminent state as a complete lunatic, and looked around, trying to make myself useful. 

I had never liked winter before. But now I hated it with an astonishing passion. I shivered, and wished that I had one of my cozy hoodies. Don’t even start, I immediately chided myself. I couldn’t afford to start on a downward spiral, wishing for things that weren’t in the cards. I scanned the clearing, not having had the chance to get a really good look at it. Pine trees surrounded us. They were protecting us from the outside world for the moment, and that gave me a surprising amount of comfort. I had always believed that the universe would guide me to wherever I needed to go, but it was hard to have faith now. I bit my lip. The universe would take us all where we were needed. Mother Earth would protect us. I took the pine trees as a good sign. A sign that the universe hadn’t forgotten about me-- or my love for pine tea. I had to keep on doing my best, and it would all be alright eventually. 

Light flakes of snow were falling now, dancing in the starlit sky. I shivered, the cold sucking me dry of any warmth. And yet, I couldn’t help but admire the beauty of the place. It felt peaceful, something that I had been absolutely starved of. I broke off a branch of a nearby pine tree, thanked the tree with a gentle pat on its trunk, and sat by a fire that mine and Derek’s families were huddled by. Someone had had the good sense to bring a big pot, and they were now starting to boil water over the crackling flames. 

I started stripping the branch of it’s needles and throwing the green needles into the pot of water. Not everyone liked pine tea, but no one stopped me. The work was tedious and boring, but I welcomed it. 

Derek sat down next to me once I was done busying myself with the needles. He wrapped a blanket around both of us, pulling me close. He was warm. Like always. 

Three weeks later

I hated living out in the wilderness. We had no way of contacting the outside word, and our cars had run out of gas a long time ago. The supplies that we brought with us in a wild dash was less than ideal, but we were all alive. Sleeping in our cars was better than freezing to death outside, but it was still bitterly cold. 

I wished I had candles to light my prayers. A fire, or a stick with a lit end didn’t have quite the desired effect. The universe was going to take care of me, I reminded myself. The clearing we were living in had kept us safe, and I had Derek to cheer me up. There was no need to lose hope. 

I spotted a dandelion. How could it possibly have survived? A large rock sat next to it, probably protecting it from the worst of the wind. Dandelions were sacred to me. This was a sign. 

Invigorated by a new hope, I set out to find Derek. He has been doing his best to keep positive for my sake, but I know him. He’s slipping. It’s my turn to cheer him up. 

“Hey, gorgeous,” I said as my way of greeting. It’s been a long time since I’ve approached him so casually-- so lightly. 

Derek’s muscles visibly relaxed. “Hi.”

“Whatcha doing?” 

Derek shrugged. “A lot of us have been out looking for anything useful, but I’m done for the day. My shift is over.”

It was only then, I realized guiltily, how exhausted he was. Constantly putting up a strong front was draining, and it was all he ever did. 

“Well, Vicky has been teaching me how to do some basic sewing, and I have some clothing to repair.” I smile. “Let’s go to my car and sit together while I do that.” 

Derek nodded. “Alright.”

We sat in the backseat of my family’s van, where I slept. It felt strangely intimate, but that shouldn’t have been weird. Derek knowed me better than anyone. I shook off the weird feeling. 

I wrapped us up in blankets, and I got to work. I had no major talent, but at least I could accomplish some basic functionality. 

We sat there for a long time. I mindlessly completed all the tasks that had been assigned to me, feeling better than I had in ages. 

“Can you keep a secret?” Derek asked suddenly. 

This caught me off guard. Who would I tell? And what would even be the point? We knew each other so well, telling secrets isn’t usually necessary. But I was curious. “Of course.”

Derek took a deep breath. “I don’t want to ruin anything, but I can’t keep this on my chest any longer.”

I looked at him, confused. What could he possibly be talking about? 

“I’ve been in love with you for a long time, Miri.” He looked away from me, Derek probably did not want to see my reaction. “I was going to tell you… but then all this happened.” 

He… was in love with me? And he was just now telling me this? I had been in love with him for the longest time-- but I thought it had been obvious. And that he didn’t share those feelings. 

My mouth hung open for a while, unsure of what to see. But then I realized that there isn’t anything to say, and I kissed him. 

Five years later

Five years ago, my life changed. It took a long time for me to find hope. Our little community has expanded, and we’ve gotten better at surviving. Little log cabins have been built, and there has been talk about finally starting up a school for the younger children. We all escaped a greater horror, and have found peace. Many people are more happy here than they ever were in our old lives. 

I have found that, I too, am much more happy than I was five years ago. Maybe we don’t live in the same comforts that we used to live in, but I’m happy. I have a wonderful husband, and a child on the way. If it’s a boy we’re going to name him after our dear Rhys. My ever-faithful cat, Emerald, is fiercer than ever before. She is very helpful, and always brings wonderful presents to me. Maybe I don’t like dead birds or mice, but I appreciate the thought. 

The universe took care of me, and I know that it will continue to do so.

September 25, 2020 21:30

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.